back to article Samsung and Sun make 'ultra-endurance' flash chips

Samsung and Sun Microsystems say they've found a veritable fountain of youth for data center solid-state drives. They claim to have jointly developed a single-layer cell (SLC) NAND flash device that provides a "five-fold increase" in data write/erase cycles over standard SLC flash. Numbers aren't provided — but given current …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Storage Genius

Flash + ZFS = Panic @ NetApp

Why on earth would you pay their outrageous prices if you have reliable flash and ZFS?

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

Here's a Jolly Roger of AI Good Reason .....

"Why on earth would you pay their outrageous prices if you have reliable flash and ZFS?" ..... By Storage Genius Posted Friday 18th July 2008 01:08 GMT

For Hosting and dDelivery of Future Content/IntelAIgent ProcessOre.... with Earth Payment in Currency $upply.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Five-Fold Increase = 6 Times as Many

There is a difference between 5 times as many and 5 times more - a five-fold increase on 10000 is actually 60000 (10000 increased by 5x10000) but I doubt this is what they mean.

The use of the phrase n times more when what is meant is n times as many really bugs me (yeah, I know) and it seems to be popular in adverts at the moment.

4. Chris

Meanwhile ...

... another research team has created NAND flash with 10,000 times number of write cycles as the currently available technology:

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=6202.php

5. Martin

lies, damn lies, marketing and statistics...

The 100x more performance per watt figure is pretty misleading as well since we don't know what the given wattages used are nor do we have any performance numbers to go with them. Still 100x looks pretty impressive on your marketing guff eh?

6. Tom
    Paris Hilton

@Martin

The server grade SSDs go like the clappers - massively faster access time, but with slightly slower peak read/write speed. Since theres no head to move though, you can read one sector, then write a completely different sector for little cost. That what makes them have such a massively superior IOPS to even a 15k SAS drive, and why they rule for any kind of random access usage, like databases and video archives.

Also, since theres no moving parts, the energy required to operate is much much lower than a mechanical drive, so the 100x performance per watt is probably close to accurate, although I agree that its definately someone in marketing who wanted the '100x' moniker.

Paris, because I hear she can manage an impressive number of I/O per second.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like