back to article Netflix will stream movies on Xbox 360

Microsoft is now flirting with making its Xbox 360 movie download service very nearly interesting thank to a new deal announced today with Netflix. The software giant has scored a pact to stream a portion of Netflix's movie library on its game console online network. About 10,000 movies and TV episodes will be available to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this mean the end for The Pirate Bay, et. al?

It is unlikely that MS will tolerate any activity that threatens its profitability, and it is big enough and ruthless enough to do something about it.

2. Andrew Tyler

Netflix

99% of the Netflix 'instant view' films are terrible. There are a few good ones though, but I wouldn't subscribe to it if it weren't already a part of my Netflix DVD rental package. Their website interface for browsing content is infuriating and seems primarily designed around hiding how little quality content there is. There are obvious omissions such as searching categories by star-rating even though you can search overall by star-rating--probably because it would only demonstrate how poor the actual content is.

Anyways, if they invest more money and get more content, it will be a nice little system. It does require IE if you're going to be doing it on a PC though.

3. Jay
    Coat

RE: Does this mean the end for The Pirate Bay, et. al?

Nope!

Only a sucker would pay for both these services and even attempt to have anything resembling a real life.

Digital downloads are still years off, especially since we can get better quality rips for free with no DRM.

Wake up and smell the JAVA Microsoft!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Other file formats.

So I guess we shouldn't hold our breath for MKV support then.. ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Favors??

Favors???

I could not be more disappointed with you guys right now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Forget about the UK

Just forget about it.

Usual US bluster, while ignoring the rest of the world, SD content only too.

Yawn.

Oh, we get a game show channel from Endemol over Xbox Live. Woo fucking hoo.

7. Simon Painter
    Go

I don't want to get my hopes up.

I have an xbox 360, a blistering internet connection and an HD tv. At the moment all I can watch on it is "I am Legend", which is one of the worst films Will Smith has been involved with since "Wild Wild West"(*), and a few older movies such as Caddy Shack and Ocean's 11. If this is a way of streaming HD content to me then I am in but if the selection is going to be limited and there is not going to be anything I can't get on DVD then it's a "no sale". I have a DVD player and a blockbuster down the road so don't try to sell me something I already have, sell me some high quality HD movies before Sky PPV gets hold of it and I will never rent a DVD again.

(*) Please don't post lots of flames about how great that movie is, I just don't care. If you disagree then just ignore the comment. The point I am trying to make is that I have the kit and nothing that I want to watch.

8. Simon Painter
    Pirate

@Jay

Not convinced. I want reliable movies to rent and I don't care about the DRM. If I buy a movie then I buy a DVD because it comes with extra content and is a physical item to go on my shelf. If I just want to watch a movie then I will go to the cinema, rent a DVD or ideally just select it off of Live. This is not a download in the form of a torrent or something you intend to keep, this is a streaming product similar to pay per view on Sky which you watch once and then it disappears.

9. Mark
    Gates Horns

Sony Won't Let Them

Have Sony movies - you'll only be able to watch hits like those on the PS3!!!

WIN WIN WIN

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ahem... Er..

"It is unlikely that MS will tolerate any activity that threatens its profitability, and it is big enough and ruthless enough to do something about it."

Well, it's not done much for the last few years... They keep stating they will take The PirateBay to court, but as of yet they haven't been able to due to Swedish Law. Check the site (if you dare, M'Hearty!!) and see the Legal link near the top... Enjoy the too-ing and fro-ing between legal parties.

11. Iain

US only?

I guess we won't be getting this in the UK any time soon.

12. George
    Thumb Up

Mark, nice to see you are all for benefiting everyone...

What about when Microsoft/Netflix tap up all the other studios, will PS3 be stuck with Sony, will the PS3 ever get download movies and would they hold out against MS when there is money to be made punting movies?

Wouldn't it be better to lay aside all this petty format fanboy stuff and try and get manufacturers to work together?

13. yet another Matt
    Unhappy

BT Vision and Xbox 360?

I've been harping on about this for a while now with no result. The very similar sounding, Janurary announced, BT Vision streaming to your Xbox 360 by the (very ambiguous) 'middle of the year' seems to have now vapourised.

Any idea when I might be able to see this working?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gets pretty expensive

Even though they won't be charging for streaming movies, the cost of XBox Live and a Netflix subscription is pretty expensive.

If they bundled a basic Netflix subscription into the Gold package that might go some way towards justifying the price of Live. Sony don't charge for their online service, nor do Nintendo, and whilst Live is the best of the online gaming services, it's still pretty expensive for what it offers.

15. Craig

re: Gets pretty expensive

Not really, unless you're homeless or something?

Xbox Live is like £30-40 a *year*. Netflix is a great service, and usually doesn't cost more than a DVD purchase per month.

16. Eponymous Cowherd
    Stop

Stop Press!!

Microsoft continues to run around like a headless chicken in order to find something, *anything*, to make its failing *games console* more attractive.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Reg missed the biggest news of the show.

The 360 is getting the new Final Fantasy the same time as the PS3.

Coupled with the other news of the show like this?

Microsoft Wins. Game over Sony.

18. Mark
    Gates Horns

@Eponymous Cowherd

I'm right with you homey!!

Yeahh up yours Xbox!!! This is pathetic!! Soon the PS3 will catch up with your sales and then you'll be sorry!!! AHHAAA!

19. Mark
    Gates Horns

Not game over Sony actually

Final Fantasy is still coming out exclusively on the PS3 in Japan which is like the most important place ok?

Cretin.

Sony are going to announce some exclusivity tomorrow, I reckon it will be for Metal Gear Solid 5, or Resident Evil 5, or something else important with a number in it because that's all that is important to me and Sony. Numbers, not originality

So up yours, nice one trying xbots!!

20. Monkey

As much as this...

...pathetic console ranting and bitching annoys me normally, I have to say this is really entertaining. It's of the same sort of hilarity factor as when 'Tim' used to post his pro-HD-DVD propaganda and rants.

Keep it up Mark! Go on my son!

21. Law
    Paris Hilton

sadly

we have what appear to be grown educated IT professionals arguing about who's games console is the best....

Paris is also confused

22. Abe

@ Mark

Anyone else think this guys a virgin?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

personally

I really hope the school holidays are over soon.

24. Sooty

I'd love HD streaming content

but unfortunately i'm on virgin so 10 mins into the film they will decide i'm abusing my connection and and slow me to 1Mb/sec, i'd love to see HD content stream at that speed, i have trouble watching youtube videos.

25. Iain

@Mark

Yes, Mark. We all agree that the most important thing is which console can play a game in Japan, rather than the region where we all live. You fool.

26. That Guy
    Happy

Meow

Congratulations Iain you just actually internet fucked mark, which I suppose is the only way he'll get laid, but yeah that BT vision thing looked quite promising but now its just well gone, and by the way a warning to anyone who reads this is Orange broadband is actually shite but you probs already know that

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony Movie service is better.

Checked out the Sony movie service, and it's miles better than the 360 NetFlix deal. 8 major studios at launch, with decent content. You also don't have to buy a XBL Gold AND a Netflix subscription to use it. With the PSN movie service, I have the choice of SD, HD, Rent or Buy.

And best of all, I can legally copy the movie on upto 3 PSP's for portable viewing, in addition to viewing on the PS3.

Looks like Sony seriously trumped Microsoft at this years E3, with stunning Resistance2 gamplay that makes Gears2 look embarrassing, a very impressive LBP demo, the movie service, and some new big hitter exclusives, and whilst Sony may have lost FFXIII exclusivity (not that it matters, as with 3 years of focused development under it;s belt, and Blu-ray, the PS3 version will clearly be superior).

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re: The Reg missed the biggest news of the show.

As FFXIII has been in development for PS3 for ages, with 360 support tacked on last month, It's clearly going to be better on PS3.

Also if you read the transcript from the show, it's NOT getting a simultanious release.

They are completing the PS3 Japanese version

They are then working on PS3 Euro/US translations.

THEN they are starting work on the 360 version.

You can expect at least 6 months before they deliver the inferior 360 7xDVD boxset!!

i'll get my coat...

29. Mark
    Gates Horns

PSN Movie service now live..

8 Major studios at launch, including the big players.

Sony Pictures (duh), Fox, MGM, Lionsgate, Warner Bros., Disney, Paramount

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/fox-warner-disney-all-in-for-psn-movies-on-day-one

Best of all, no XBoxLive Gold subscription needed, no NetFlix subscription needed, and you are allowed to transfer them to PSP for viewing on the go...

Fucking brilliant...

30. Iain

@AC, re: FF13

That doesn't quite match what they said in the Microsoft keynote. There, it was that America and Europe get the 360 release "day one", i.e. the same time they get the PS3 release.

Development is on the "Crystal Tools" engine, whose initial platform was actually the PC, and that's where they're doing the development. It's a fully agnostic multi-platform engine, so now they've ported Crystal to the 360 hardware claims that they've been working for 3 years on the PS3 version are somewhat disingenuous.

Re: this new PSN system, it's a very different thing to the Netflix option, and a lot closer to the current 360 Video Marketplace. That also works with the free Live account and requires you pay per film instead of a flat subscription fee. That they've got more studios than the Microsoft service is good news, although I won't be using it as I still prefer to purchase my films on shiny discs.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Mark

Now you've successfully linked to an article that for once confirms something you've said, could you please enlighten all of us as to what films we actually get to download if we have a PS3?

It doesn't matter if 40 different studios support it - if there are a load of shit SD films on there no one will care.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

PS3 Movies Only In The USA!!!

Hahaaaa! Mark you're an idiot!!!

The movies are only available in the states, so those studios are only applicable to that market. Not to mention the shoddy pricing!!!

Big fail on the PS3's part this year, nothing good to come out of E3 at all, nothing new and all very predictable.

33. Mark
    Gates Horns

re: PS3 Movies Only In The USA!!!

AC, you are an idiot. Netflix on 360 is also only available in the USA..

34. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Mark

"AC, you are an idiot. Netflix on 360 is also only available in the USA.."

I don't remember stating that it was available anywhere else?

Oh thats right, I DIDNT.

I will point out however that the 360 has a growing number of videos to download in Europe, right now - not in 2009.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like