back to article Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5 get another year of TLC

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) versions 4 and 5 are going to stick around in full support mode a full year longer. Red Hat outlined its complex release roadmap during the Red Hat Summit in Boston. It plans to extend the initial "intensive enablement" release phase of both RHEL versions 4 and 5 from three years of earnest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They could just do a rolling release.

Sure some admins may not wish to tinker with running servers too much, but part of the fun of the job is surely, to have some backup system and a quick flip over at some point.

I much prefer a rolling release style approach to operating systems, so many components update so often, that trying to maintain stability on older systems without updating to the latest and greatest is actually quite hard to achieve.

Still RedHat probably have a enough people to support a staggered many version release cycle.

2. KenBW2
    IT Angle

A title is required.

"Version 4.8 is scheduled for the first half of 2009.

RHEL 5 was released in 2007"

What sort of crazy versioning system is this?

3. John Haxby
    Linux

@KenBW

There are four extant flavours of RHEL. 2.1 is having its last gasp and all support will formally end next May; RHEL3 is in maintenance mode (I think); RHEL4 and RHEL5 are under active development.

It's not a crazy versioning scheme, it's four distinct products. And yes, there are people that want to stick with the older products ('versions') mostly because they do what they were bought for and on the hardware bought at the time and there is simply no point in going through a major upgrade. New hardware, on the other hand, will get the newer product (often because the new hardware won't run with the old OS).

4. Joe Wulf

Great improvements

Love seeing this. I'm looking forward to the 4.7 release, too. Additionally, there will certainly be improvements externally with the Center for Internet Security (CISecurity.org) benchmarks for these OS's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like