back to article Brussels wants eID cards to work Europe-wide

The European Commission is running a three-year pilot project to get national identity cards to work in different countries. The €20m project hopes to make eID cards work in 13 member states. The goal is to find a common set of specifications so different cards will allow access to services in all countries. The Commission …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter D'Hoye
    Thumb Down

Right on time

Surely they could have come up with that *before* countries started distributing them...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

STORK!

That's the most desperate acronym I've ever heard.

3. dervheid
    Alert

They can stork that...

where the sun don't shine!

This'll so never, ever, ever work.

Be the mother of all IT contracts though! Think of the possibilites!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's official...

amanfromMars works for the European Commission:

"Secure idenTity acrOss boRders linKed, or Stork..."

5. Michael
    Boffin

Didn't see Ireland on the list.

....... and it's not in Schengen ( in common with the UK) .There is an ePassport scheme, so... it should be there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Is it just me...

... or is that a possibly the most pants acronym in history?

How about

Secure idenTity acrOss bOrders LinkED

STOOLED - and I'm using the medical term here, since this is what europrats usually manage to do to us.

7. Steve

Improved "co-operation"

"The e-Justice scheme will create a European portal to improve access to legal information and improve co-operation between judges and enforcement agencies."

I'm not convinced that will necessarily improve our "access to justice".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wahhhhhh!

Good job Viv's involved, otherwise it would be the cheapest crappiest solution, which would be as hackable as the Dutch OV Chipkaart or someother crud "entitlement card" scheme based on the Mifare Classic, like were being knocked out in parts of the UK.

My advice would be take a look at the system in Schiphol airport (known as Privium). Very slick and uses contact cards rather than contactless, so there's a reduced risk (---> 0%) of unauthorised reading.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eid cards.

Good to see the Islamic festival of Eid becoming a fundamental part of the european union. I didn't realise there were greetings cards for it though.

On Acronyms, how about:-

secuRe IDEntity AcroSS bOrders LinkEd

"RIDE ASS'OLE" - Perhaps too American?

seCURE iDentity AcRoss borderS linkEd

"CURED ARSE" - For those desperate times in foreign lands.

10. Graham Dawson Silver badge

So Stork...

A stork to deliver another EU tar-baby. Joy!

@Peter D'Hoye

The reason they waited until after countries started distributing theirs was so they could cause the most amount of disruption to the largest number of people's lives. As far as I can tell, the EU civil service do this sort of thing purely for the giggle of it. They *like* causing people misery. It's really the only thing that explains their actions and behaviour these days.

11. Ted Treen
    Pirate

Obviously

It has nothing to do with the unelected bureaucracy keeping tabs on us, then....

Metinks the time for a latter-day Wat Tyler is nigh.

12. fred
    Coat

Check out the site

Secure idenTity Across (borders) LinKed - STALK

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This one'll get modded.

seCUre ideNTity across borders LInKEd

..um you get the idea.

14. Matthew Joyce

Shades of Dodgson...

Sticking to appalling acronymns using random letters, I personally would have seen it as Secure ideNtity Across boRders linKed - SNARK. However, when examined the actual system in use will undoubtedly be Borders Open for Obfuscation, Just Under Microsoft. A boojum if I ever saw one.

15. Slaine

pmsl JonB

secuRE ideNTity across BOrders lInked... for the neds ;)

secure identity acROss (B)BordERS linked... for tax payers

secure idenTITy across borders linked... for Paris

16. Slaine
    Joke

although ...

...would it not be fairer to give it a truly descriptive acronym; you know, something that actually describes what actually going on rather than just slinging a couple of soundbytes together and trying to pull some meaning out of it in the same way as a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat. Round of applause? I thought not.

I suggest: Tracking Untested Random Data.

or possibly: Global Observations Built on Suitably Haphazard Information Technology.

17. Steven Hewittt

That's it....

Nothing else for it, I can't take no more. I'm going to have to go out an get seriously

seCUre ideNTity across borders lInkED

18. Paul Buxton

STORK???

Surely they mean Stalk!!!

19. Eurydice Sophie Exintaris
    Thumb Up

GRRRRR...eece?

Good initiative.

Annoyed that Greece hasn't joined the bandwagon!!

We had a huge issue in 1998 with our current (huge, handwritten) ID cards having a field for the religion and whether that should be filled in... UGH

I just wish they'd join in and get up to speed in IT in this century. When signing up for the equivalent of an NI number, my details were handwritten in a huge sellotape-mended registry book... Think church-kept records in the 17th century...

(I _am_ cringing as I write this... from shame... I wish I could teach them about IT!)

20. Eddie
    Coat

It is a depressing acronym

Why not sable?

Secure id Across Borders Linked (e) - makes sense to me....

I still wonder if IBM's acronym for systems that cannot pass soak runs - Failed Under Continuous Test (work it out for yourselves, sheesh....) - is true or apocryphal

The one with the alphabet on the back please....

21. Avalanche
    Alert

Not about ID cards

As far as I know, this is not about ID cards, but about online identity schemes such as the Dutch DigID service, which provides a single sign-on scheme for national and local governments. In the case of DigID this consists of a (self-chosen) loginname, a password and (optionally) authorization SMS-codes.

The ID is that if I work or live in another EU country, I can use my Dutch DigID to get access to online government services of that country.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eID

eBorders

eFascism?

23. Mark Flingstone
    Dead Vulture

if accessibility comes to mind

google "rfid skimming".

Oh, no, sorry, I forgot the easy way: get two people that "know" who you are (or pretend to be), go to the nearest office, declare who you "are", sign all the paperwork and a freshly-minted ID is in your hands.

Homework for the amazed reader: state the country name where this is possible.

(prize list available on request)

24. Nick

Surely?

Secure idenTity acrOSS bordERS linked?

And dont call me Shirley.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paranoid oldies...

Here in Estonia we have working ID cards for over 6 years now, makes life so much more easier.

http://id.ee/?lang=en

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eurotrash

Secure iDentity acrOss boRders linKed, or DORK

"..We don't need no stinkin' badges.."

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sprouts

Anyone?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like