back to article Zango's adware fox desperate to guard net henhouse

Zango, creator of Hotbar, Seekmo Search Assistant and other adware programs of dubious value to end users, just can't seem to come to grips with reality. It's coughed up a $3m fine to the FTC and abandoned two lawsuits claiming anti-malware providers illegally interfered with its business after being laughed out of just about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Renouf
    Alert

a la PHORM perhaps...

Isn't it more or less what phorm is up to?!?

2. Craig Frier
    Stop

Vile parasites

"But that could all be a thing of the past. If Zango wins, it will once again reclaim the crown as one of the net's biggest parasites"

No doubt, but they'll be a poorer cousin to Phorm inc if webwise is allowed to worm it's way into mainstream browsing.

3. Herby

It could be worse...

If this DOES continue, those who sell stuff over such media as say TELEVISION could rightfully sue the TV vendors for having a MUTE button. Yes, the ad purveyors have all the right to spew forth, but I also have a right to enlist any help to eradicate the mess. Hopefully someone will "see the light".

Then again, given how lawyers are I don't hold out much hope.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Pome

I'll not tango with Zango,

for I'd rather fight

like a man so they can go

and bury this shite.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Get it now!

NEW

Get FUBAR-2008

Now with added Splang!!

NEW

Click now

6. druck Silver badge

Re: It could be worse...

Herby wrote: "If this DOES continue, those who sell stuff over such media as say TELEVISION could rightfully sue the TV vendors for having a MUTE button."

Worse than that, banning the ability to fast forward through adverts when using a PVR.

7. Elmer Phud
    Pirate

Ju$tice?

It's no surprise there are so many lawyers in the U.S. I bet they are queuing up to represent Zango. "Hmm, how long can we keep[ this one going for? It's a pile of crap but, hey, we're only receiving the cheques, not writing them".

Zango -- 'note to self --must sell more crapware to pay for court cases'

8. Spleen

Lessons from Phorm

If you want the government on your side, think about something they really want. Like universal surveillance of all Internet traffic. Then you can carry on with whatever illegal activity you like.

Any business that finds itself spending more time waging lawsuits in government courtrooms than selling to potential customers should really just shoot itself.

9. Fatman
    Stop

Zango adware fox....

I saw this in another post, and I feel it applies to Zango.

Just change the name and location of the business to that of Zango

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990223

Need I say more?

10. Brian Whittle
    Thumb Down

zango must me bad

cleaning up a customers PC a came across 4GB + zango log file all I can say is WTF

11. Micro
    Alert

Highly unlikely Zango wins

This case was already dismissed by the lower courts in Kasperskys favor but was appealed by Zango. Just recently Kaspersky responded to the appeal brief to the appelant court and it's reply can be found here....

http://claranet.scu.edu/eres/documentview.aspx?associd=26737

(5 Meg File)

I read though this last night and the orginal judges dismissal brief which can found here... http://claranet.scu.edu/eres/documentview.aspx?associd=22229 and if things progress the way the other lawsuites filed by Zango did...the appeals process should hold up the orginal judgement and this case will be dismissed.

As a security member on several forums I've helped numerous victims get rid of this crap spyware/malware and can say honestly that this software is indeed MALWARE and Zango can't paint it as anything else. That's one the reasons Zango keeps changing it's company names...to avoid being associated and classifyed as Spyware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like