back to article Lenovo ThinkCentre A61e green PC

Lenovo claims that its ThinkCentre A61e laptop-as-desktop PC is the greenest ThinkCentre ever, thanks to the low power requirements of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 processor it uses. Does that claim have any merit? The A61e is a tiny machine that measures 275 x 242 x 81mm and weighs in at 3.72kg, although the figures are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Splodman

Fan

It's got a system fan in addition to the other moving parts, Page 2 first picture, top right. It is fairly quiet but the cpu is not passively cooled as you claim as the fan blows right across the heatsink once the two halves of the case are assembled. I have set up a couple of these and they are perfect for most of the basics, very quiet and tiny.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Leo Waldock

Fan boys

Splodman you're right - the fan is in the photo and it is so quiet that I never even heard it running in a very - that's VERY - quiet office.

4. frank denton
    Happy

Windows Sound at Start Up ??

'...so it’s hard to avoid the wretched Windows sound at start-up.'

I've always removed and replaced that naff Windows sound file on every PC I've owned or had to use.

Try looking in C:\WINDOWS\Media where you'll find :-

Windows XP Startup.wav and many more system sound files, which are of course easily replaced by any .wav sound file of your choice, renamed to the original filename of course.

Other Windows systems have similar files, easily found and replaced.

5. David Cornes

Component choice

I've a hunch this puppy is aimed at the business desktop space, hence the small capacity HD and no DVD writer. The low power consumption would be of much more interest if you're running 200 or 10,000 of these! Of course a 2.5" HD would've used even less...

On a similar quest my home server uses low power components (Via CPU, 2x 160GB laptop drives) and uses around 31w at idle, rising to 45-50w under heavy load.

6. Richard

RE: Windows Sound at Start Up ??

Or you could just use the Sound option under Control Panel. That'll just change it or even disable it without mucking around.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"why didn't you include a smaller AC adaptor?"

Why should they? The physical size hardly matters for a desktop machine, and if they can use this PSU on other products too then it saves money. The annoying thing is that the power supply is not built in, like with a normal desktop machine.

Also, just because you measured 55W maximum doesn't mean that there won't be larger peaks - disk spin-up is an obvious one.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lenovo vs Dell

This is aimed at the business deskspace - I've recently deployed several of these and their variants. And I'll go for a ThinkCentre over a Dell any time thank you very much.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like