back to article Toshiba goes multi-cell with new flash drives

Toshiba has begun mass production of multi-level cell NAND flash drives, which the company will first stick into its own notebooks sold in Japan. The first solid-state drives will be 128GB models used in its Dynabook SS RX and similarly slim mobile PCs. The drives will likely find their way to other PC manufacturers outside …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Mighty Spang

128MB?

what are they booting? Windows 3.1?

2. James Bryant

Sounds pretty crap really

This is unless those bits that say MB are meant to say GB.

3. Kevin Aquilina
    Joke

MB?

Of what use can a 65MB or 128MB ssd drive be today :)

So...

:1,$s/MB/GB/g then it might become interesting.

KA from MT

4. John Benson
    Alert

Wear-levelling means even more data traces

Wear-levelling means that secure delete by shredding a file may not really shred all of the file all the time. I love the convenience of USB flash drives, but am very worried about the security implications of the technology.

5. Morely Dotes
    Paris Hilton

Where are the actual benchmarks?

"Better overall performance" than regualr old 5400 or 7200 rpm disks is lovely, but are we talking orders of magnitude better, or a few percent better?

My money's staying in my wallet until the performance per dollar is at least equal.

Paris, because she understands performance but doesn't know where the charts are, either.

6. Dr. Mouse

@Morely Dotes

RE: "Better overall performance"

They quote 100MB/s read and 40MB/s write, so the read speed is already being quoted as quicker than a regular 7200rpm hdd. Writes are a touch slower, but a desktop spends more time reading than writing.

It's access times which should be at least an order of magnitude better. I have run desktops with slow compact flash cards through a CFIDE adapter and the reduced access time makes a hell of a difference.

Would like to know though how much they will cost and when they will go on general release.

7. Dick Emery
    Stop

Encrypt it

"Wear-levelling means that secure delete by shredding a file may not really shred all of the file all the time. I love the convenience of USB flash drives, but am very worried about the security implications of the technology."

I suggest then using GOOD encryption software with a STRONG password/phrase.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like