back to article Ofcom starts planning for the London Olympics

UK regulator Ofcom has published a discussion document outlining how it intends to manage spectrum allocations during the London Olympics and Para Olympics in 2012, and on most cases it's business as usual. Ofcom admits there'll be an unprecedented demand for radio frequencies during the games, for everything from wireless …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul

Already going to "borrow" frequencies.

They've already said they're going to be "borrowing" part of one of the amateur radio bands - I think it was 70cm (430-440MHz).

2. Julian Bond
    Black Helicopters

Wifi?

It'd be interesting to speculate about the state of Wifi in London in 2012.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Borrow 70cms?

Hmm - think I'll blow the dust off my big amplifier then - let's see who is the loudest. 2kW into a 24dB Yagi should make them think twice. This will be fun!

Maybe my friend with the moonbounce antenna will join in - just don't stand right in front of the beam, I've seen him kill pigeons with it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2kW?

In Athens I was playing with a 10kW power amp on a 26db Yagi around that frequency range. It takes a fair bit of power to send data 13 miles to the start of the marathon (me being at the mid point of the course).

5. Richard
    Unhappy

70cm allocation

I've not been able to find anything concrete regarding allocation for the 2012 games on 70cm's. If anyone can point me to documentation, I'd be really interested in reading it.

Personally I think that Ofcom have been salivating over the 70cm band for a long time and because of lack of use and the value of the band, the lions share will end up allocated to other non-Amateur services.

6. Paul

70cms

I'm fairly sure I saw it in a recentish edition of RadCom.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WiMAX

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the comms, both fixed and mobile, will be provided by WiMAX operators probably in the 2.5GHz bands. WiFi will be a nightmare without a doubt.

8. Slaine
    Alert

no problem...

... after all, by the time they get around to publishing the real final cost of construction for the various sites (and relocating assorted newts) there will be so little cash left in the country that the only form of communication available will be combinations of plastic cups connected with a suitable length of string.

This topic is closed for new posts.