back to article Apple pays $10m to end iTunes patent clash

Apple has agreed to pay Burst.com $10m to settle the patent infringement challenge the smaller US company launched against it in April 2006. Back then, Burst.com claimed Apple's iTunes Music Store, QuickTime streaming software and the iPod all incorporate without permission technology detailed in four patents held by Burst.com …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

innovator?

my arse, is he.

same old bloody pirate as the company he likes to belittle so much. he just has a trendier picture of himself in his mind and his adverts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

FTP

So if I want to transfer some avi files from my server (family videos, whatever) I'm infringing burst.com's patents?

Prior art, anybody?

3. Ivan Headache

@anonymous coward 2

Who are you referring to?

There are no names in the article other than the author's. Not even your own.

Bit of a a wasted post in my view.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How..

..can "the transmission of compressed audio and video files over the net" be given a patent??

I'm going to patent 'A human interface device that makes use of your hand an index finger'

That's right... watch out all of you that are currently reading this page with a mouse in your hand.

5. Ray Foulkes
    Stop

Title

It is despicable that US law permits patents which are simply an application of computers to a well-known principle i.e.

Faster than playback time download - high speed compressed text transmission (used during 39-45 war).

Compressed file reader - any mechanised decoder such as paper tape reader (text transmission is much more compressed than voice).

Compressed information download (to reduce bandwidth) - any number of compression schemes dating from Roman times.

The fact that these have now been applied to video is somewhat obvious. I guess the next patent will be the same principle applied to maps, surround sound, 3d viewers, virtual worlds etc etc. The application of a technique can cover quite a wide range of applications. Some innovation!

6. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

USD 10 million

Would be barely enough to cover Apple's legal costs if the case went to trial. They must have decided to pay off the troll to just go away - the same result as if they'd won the trial but without the added headache.

The US patent system has become just a legalised instrument of racket and blackmail.

7. Martin Lyne
    Paris Hilton

Re: USD 10 Million

If it cost $10M and, as clearly stated, Burst.com are agreeing to pay Apple's legal bills then I'd say someone got stiffed. I suppose it could be Apple agreeing to pay their legal fees and then we all go home happy. Or it didn't cost that much.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like