back to article Best powerline Ethernet products?

I'm sick of Wi-Fi not reaching certain parts of my house, and I want to network devices that don't have wireless on board. So I'm going to roll out powerline Ethernet. But what's the best type? I mean, there's DS2's version - supported by Netgear and D-Link - and the HomePlug AV version - supported by Devolo (good write-ups …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Taomyn
    Thumb Up

Test 85mbit Netgear, bought 200mbit Devolo

I test the 85mbit version from Netgear, the type that are a self-contained unit and were connected between my apartment and the basement storeroom I have, to service my server. The best I got was 13mbit up or down, but it proved the connection could be made.

So I plumped for the Devolo 200mbit ones a) because they were cheaper, b) I got the desktop models which were cheaper still. The speed bumped up to 48-55mbit up or down, so pleased with that (it's only a server for mail and a personal website I toy with).

However, after overheating issues in said storeroom, I placed the units within my own apartment and get between 140-160mbit.

I'm thinking of adding a 3rd unit in the living room to service my Xbox 360 and ShowCenter media player (currently both on 54g wireless).

2. M7S

I have had good results with this kit

try looking at solwise.co.uk, a UK manufacturer.

Good tech support on a normal (non-premium rate) phone line.

Their 85Mpbs kit comes principaly in two forms, either with additional WLAN sender for rooms where you want wireless (you still get an ethernet port) or without WLAN. It all mixes together well and can be secured (both wire and wire free sections) if you want. The 200Mbps stuff doesnt talk to the 85, but you can use this as a feature for a separate network if you have the need.

I will be buying more as I extend networks further and make provision in newpremises. I tried D-Link and Netgear stuff and had to send much of it back

3. Duncan Harper

I use Solwise kit as well...

... with great success. It's the 85Mbps kit - alternatively called HomePlug Turbo - and I've got 4 adapters scattered round the house. So much more reliable and faster than my previous wireless (g) network, almost insultingly easy to set up - literally plug and go, if you're not bothered about wired security.

Even my wife is impressed :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Any Homeplug compliant, not DS2..

Solwise would be a good choice, not the Vesanet (ODM is not a good one..!), but the other ones - which are ODM from Aztech, one of the better Homeplug manufacturers.

If you have any friends in France, you can get a pair of Homeplug Turbo (85Mbps) for 59 EUR including taxes from www.neufstore.com which are from LEA, another good manufacturer (dunno why they don't sell in the UK..).

If you want the 200Mbps, Solwise would be a good choice again - Homeplug AV product. The DS2 has some real issues with any noise on your home wiring - so if you have mobile phone charger or similar, you will lose a LOT of performance...

The technology is just brilliant, very easy - and ideal if you want to stream any video (where WiFi always has issues...).

This topic is closed for new posts.