back to article Audi drives into mobile phone production

Audi will unveil a concept car-control-unit-cum-mobile-phone at the Tokyo Motor Show on Wednesday, the company has told Register Hardware. Audi_phone Audi's gizmo: make calls, unlock your motor The unnamed device is essentially a car control system and 3G mobile phone combined. An Audi spokesman said that it’s designed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

What a stupid idea

Is this dumm or what???

I drive a 17 year old Saab 900 Convertible, if I get this Audi and hold it for 17 years, does that mean I would still have to carry around a 17 year old phone (mine only last a year at most....)

Seems to be a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Anyway it was done before, Bond used a communicator to drive his 7 Series (although I heard rumours that a very small person - as they are politically correctly know as - was actually doing the driving)....

Anyway in my opinion this should get one of those awards for dumm ideas..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about...

...if their target market for this are business people with leased cars, who change their vehicles 12- or 24-monthly? Might work for them.

It would probably come with the cars anyway, so you'd have the choice of using an existing phone or inserting your sim into the new Audi phone.

I heard from someone who works as a SAAB mechanic that in some SAABs there was an option whereby Vodafone users can insert their sim card into a slot inside the car. So not an original idea either - I think it's just fashionable for companies to have their own-branded phone - check out the new Porsche phone (http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.INTERNET.COMING_SOON.PORSCHE.P9521).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Audi styling

What a useless ugly lump. A bit like their cars

4. Richard Wallace

Ugly phone

Ugly phone, I think they'd be better off just making an application that you can install on a smart phone or team up with a manufacture like Nokia or Sony Ericsson.

This topic is closed for new posts.