back to article Apple prepares iPhone WebApp catalogue

Apple is about to launch a consolidation portal hosting WebApps for its glorified slates, the iPhone and iTouch, whilst developing proper applications with Electronic Arts and others. WebApps are web pages using AJAX as an application environment: for the moment they have to be re-downloaded each time you want to use them, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Correction

WebApps , short for Web Applications have nothing to do with AJAX. Unlike your very incorrect article makes out. A web application is merely the user interface of an application implemented over the web. AJAX may be part of this but UI.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

What? Apple is trying CONTROL....

Apple is certainly assuring its user base that it does not plan to grow its market share. In one year what will the impact be on the Cell Phone market by the introduction of the iPhone?

I think the iPhone for example is a beautiful device, finely designed and very eye appealing. That being said when it comes to functionality, well at least for me, it cannot hold a candle the PPC 6800 running WM6.

I suspect that most people are not going to buy web apps or apps for their iPhone. I could be wrong but I don't see this as a money maker, just an attention grabber. I doubt that this will ever translate into increased computer sales, if Apple cares about that any longer.

Money drives the technology, if it is hard to get the SDK, then why the hell would anyone develop for that platform? Look at desktop versions of Linux, all the hype, all the strengths, all the love affairs and it is still nothing more than a joke for the consumer or business world.

Go Apple!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Macs on the rise!!

Sell of mac computers is on the rise, in case you haven´t been noticing. Also, iPhone owners seem to be a wild bunch, so many will buy web apps.

I said the same when they started selling games for the iPods. Now, according to several developers, it seems like a very stream of revenue for Apple.

4. Eddy Ito

blog standard

If you are looking for an iphone application list you should look on the iphoneapplicationlist, don'cha know?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmmm, well....

I wonder how many hours people typically spend each day pushing the buttons on their iThingy(s)?

Don't they get bored? Hmmm......

6. Rob

RE: What? Apple is trying CONTROL....

They are trying to control the revenue that 3rd party apps could generate. Look at the WM platform, loads of companies out there making healthy profits off useful apps for the Windows Mobile platform, with very little of that revenue going to MS exclusively.

I don't think Jobs wants to loose out on any money making schemes, look at how much he's charging for a non-3G pone in the first place.

Just think if the phone was 3G from the start and there was no restrictions on 3rd party apps or lock-ins to networks, this phone would have been the greatest development/product to the mobile phone industry since the introduction of colour screens or the mass adoption of SMS.

7. The Mighty Biff

AJAX has all ur base

re Correction

If you're paying through your iNose for bandwidth and are surfing through a crappy EDGE network , then AJAX type web apps are what you want, otherwise every refresh is a full page refresh - slow and pricey.

Anyway, I thought Web 2.0 was all about loverly web apps. Downloading stuff to the client machine is so last year, shurly ? Maybe that's Web 3.0, what with Apple always being ahead of the curve and all ?

PS need more icons ! No Jobs iICon ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

a bit late

I use http://appSafari.com for iPhone apps

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like