back to article US men wrangle over three-year-old amputated leg

Two U.S. men are fighting over an amputated leg that was stowed in a barbecue smoker. One man says he purchased the leg when the smoker was auctioned off by a storage facility in Maiden, North Carolina. The other says the leg was once attached to his body. When doctors amputated John Wood's leg following a 2004 plane crash, The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Les Matthew

Endless mileage

for bad jokes with this one.

He hopes to form a partnership with Wood and leg.

Somebody is going to have to stump up some readies.

This case doesn't have a leg to stand on.

There's three to be going on with. ;)

2. Voice of reason

Surely...

... Mr Whisnant was in posession of 3 human feet when he called 911 with "I got a human foot.".

Unless either:

A) He's got both his own feet missing.

B) He's not human.

Just an observation....

3. Alan Donaly

bastards stole me leg

Too bad the original owner didn't think of the whole carny side show thing to make money it would have possibly saved his home or at least kept him his storage. I think the county aught to step in and condemn the leg and bury it it's a health hazard.

4. Joe

Come on, Yanks!

Come visit Joe's House, where I've got all sorts of empty things for you to look inside! You never know - one of these empty things may have had something inside it, who can tell?

Here's the latest price list...

* Cardboard box (once contained a vacuum cleaner) - £2 ($1)

* Garage (there's an old stool, some leaves, otherwise empty) - £5 ($2.50)

* Loft (may have spiders, ladder not provided) - £10 ($5)

*** SPECIAL HALLOWEEN OFFER ***

Look inside the garage and the loft in the same day (total cost £15 ($7.50), and see inside the box COMPLETELY FREE! That's a saving of £2 ($1)!!!!!!!!!!!@^%@!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What you can't see

The installation piece "I want to see my mountains" by Joseph Beuys includes a wooden box that contains (unseen) a human bone. You just have to have faith that the bone is in there, but it does change how you see the exhibit. He did that in 1950, he was German, and the good burghers of London paid to see it as recently as two years ago: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/beuys/room2.shtm

I'm not saying "The Grizzly Smoker" will have the legs to tour the Tate in fifty years, but there is some precedent.

6. Andrew Dodd

Oh just priceless

You have made my day....

Didn't have a leg to stand on .... HAHAHA

7. Jim Cosser

Dollar to Pound?

Joe you yankie lover, those conversions are very favourable considering the current exchange rate! :)

8. JP

@Jim: Dollar to Pound

Well, judging by the prices of software and hardware, I think that's a pretty realistic exchange rate!

Closer than the supposed rates we're getting at the bank, anyway...

9. Mark Scorah

Jim C.

Nah Joe's been using the Microsoft currency converter...

10. Patrick Archibald

The IT angle

You wanted to know the IT angle? Well, it's Joe's Adobe-style pricing policy.

But where does the Jesus Phone fit in?

11. Andy Blackburn

@Joe

Last I checked, 1GBP was worth just over 2USD, not the other way round ;)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Vulture

"Grizzly smoker". At last we now know who starts all the forest fires. Bears not putting their cigarettes out properly.

TeeCee

13. Mark Roome

Pull the other one ...

or not, as it isn't attached.

Wood is just trying to get a foot in the door on the money making scheme.

I'll get my coat and crutches.

14. Alistair

Come on El Reg, this one should be in Bootnotes.

I can see the IT angle, but if its going to cost an ARM and a leg, who's going to foot the bill?

Coat on, taxi on standby

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price increase

"It's a strange incident and Halloween's just around the corner," Whisnant told The Charlotte Observer. "The price will be going up if I get [a stake in] the leg."

I fail to see why stabbing something through the leg would have increased its value. Is the stake made of platinum or something?

16. laird cummings

@Price increase

No, he's not impaling it, he's slicing choice cuts from it - Leg, grill, steak? It's a natural!

Right. I'll just show myself out, shall I?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RSS feed

And the next article in the RSS feed? About ARM...

18. Joe

D'oh!

It was late, I wasn't thinking straight, I messed the exchange rate up!

(Perhaps that's the truth behind MS and Adobe's pricing, too...)

19. Vaughan

hmm more than 1 way to make profit.

I think i'm correct in saying that mr wood has every right to have his leg returned to him.

I might also note that unless i'm mistaken, it is highly illegal to sell human body parts, therefore the company that liquidated mr Woods stock and sold the leg at auction (even though it's in his barbecue) should be prosecuted for illegal sale of human body parts" It was their responsibility to check the barbecue out 1st before offering it for auction and to remove the body part. therefore they are guilty of selling body parts even if it's out of pure negligence that it happened.. they haven't got a leg to stand on.. lol

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reclamation

He's got as much chance as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

PS: if mad cow disease doesn't affect people how come he's

got one calf and another on the way?

Merds, I've lost my cloakroom ticket.

21. Dalen
    IT Angle

Wait...

Isn't the sale of human remains illegal? At least in most countries?

This topic is closed for new posts.