back to article USAF flying deathbot power-grab rebuffed

The US Air Force (USAF)'s plan to seize control of almost all American flying killbots has been rebuffed, according to reports. At present, a wide variety of remote-controlled and/or autonomous aircraft are operated by all four branches of the US military*. The USAF has been pointing out for some time that this can lead to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

All the gear and..

"Note to non-US readers: the US Marines normally count as a separate service. Probably fair enough, as they are about the size of two British services combined."

quality rather than quantity i say, unless your talking about cannon fodder, in which case it's the other way round.

2. Stephen Gray

USAF flying deathbot??

I just love that title, its not in any way scary....LOL

3. Silas Humphreys

Glad to see SOME military policy types have functional brains.

After all, we know what happens when Air Forces manage to pull this kind of power grab off; just look at the state of Army air support in the British forces...

4. Adam Azarchs

Four branches?

You're clearly forgetting that the Coast Guard counts as a branch of the armed forces. Five branches. As in the Pentagon.

5. Chris

Four branches.

Coast Guard got sucked into Homeland Security. :(

6. Webster Phreaky

If Apple Took Control, EVERY update would cause a MALFUNCTION

Apple can't release an update without it being buggy to most users, don't believe me? Go to macfixit.com any day, any time after a OS X update.

7. Mike Moyle

Re: Four branches.

"Coast Guard got sucked into Homeland Security. :("

Does this mean that they're going to rebuild "The Pentagon" as "The Square"?

And, "Webster Phreaky" - If you don't actually have anything to say that's at least marginally germaine to the article to which you're posting a comment, SHUTTHEFUCKUP.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Four branches

Actually, the five sides of the Pentagon has no relation to the number of services in the Department of Defense but was rather due to the shape of the original plot of land it would be located on. (see http://renovation.pentagon.mil/history-construction.htm#design)

Also, the Coast Guard is (or was at least) only consider part of the "armed forces" during time of war as officially declared. Otherwise it was originally in the Department of Transportation. It falls under the jurisdiction of the Navy in time of war.

9. Gilbert Wham

Thats all very well, but...

...the time to worry is when the aerial killbots organise *themselves*.

re the pentagon:"Actually, the five sides of the Pentagon has no relation to the number of services in the Department of Defense but was rather due to the shape of the original plot of land it would be located on"

Horse pucky. It is that shape in order to contain Nyarlothotep, as any fule kno.

10. Angus Lidstone

@ Gilbert

Horse pucky. It is that shape in order to contain Nyarlothotep, as any fule kno.

Was it? I always thought it was for Shub-Niggurath and its thousand young.. Of course having never seen either building or said Old one (with associated Shublets) I could be wrong.

11. Simon Ball

@ Angus & Gilbert

Really? I thought it was supposed to contain Yog-Sothoth. Must flick through the Illuminatus trilogy again at some point. Preferably while drunk.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Angus, Gilbert, Simon et al

Simon's right - it confines Yog-Sothoth. I'm really ashamed of myself for knowing this.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@everyone

Actually it was meant to be a square....F**king builders !

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: If Apple Took Control, EVERY update would cause a MALFUNCTION

How did a Windows fanboy get in on THIS story? That's just bizarre.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Send in the marines!

Living in Holland and working in a US organisation, when someone cries, "send in the Marines", I must inquire as to the Dutch, American or English variant...

.. Only then will I truly understand how screwed we are! :)

This topic is closed for new posts.