back to article Trojan-fuelled botnet menaces UK eBay users

Security researchers have discovered a sophisticated botnet attack targeting eBay customers, particularly those in the UK. The attack, first identified last week, uses a sophisticated Trojan to infect surfers that stray onto hacked Websites. It then uses compromised computers to mount a sophisticated distributed attack on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. T. O'Hara

eBay's hiding something.

Interesting... I had a phishing message sent to me using their own messaging system asking me to log on and pay my unpaid eBay bill. Lookde very convincing except whn I hovered over the link the status bar showed a suspicious address.

The help system tells advised me to forward the message to them at spoof@ebay but the eBay message system only allows you to forward messages to your own address. They obviously believed that spoofs can't be sent via their message system.

When I contacted them about it I got two automated responses, the first to confirm my original message, the second to say that I hadn't forwarded the message. Obviously no one at eBay is really that interested in security as they ought to at least read what you sent them rather than relying on a computer?

Even more strangely, the message has disappeared from my message box and it wasn't me that deleted it! Nor have eBay advised me that they have deleted it for me.

Maybe I just imagined I saw the message...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE-eBay's hiding something

quote...."Even more strangely, the message has disappeared from my message box and it wasn't me that deleted it! Nor have eBay advised me that they have deleted it for me.

Maybe I just imagined I saw the message".....

Or maybe you have a new unknown trojan on your system? keep a eye on your modem lights m8

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or maybe someone else has access to your account.

4. Stuart

Not for the first time...

...unauthorised access to ebay accounts. Could it be Vladuz again....???

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/13/vlad_impales_ebay/

5. Richard

Take a look on their announcement board. This was eBay's mistake rather than something sinister.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/200709051220512.html

It was eBay that deleted the messages and it was eBay who sent it in the first place. It caused no end of panic on the PowerSeller board I can tell you :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Titlefrom www.julietk.co.uk

I recieved one of those and I telephoned ebay, YES I HAVE A NUMBER !! and they said it was a mistake on thier part which had gone out to lots of people and to ignor it!

This topic is closed for new posts.