back to article Virgin fills Warehouse with media

From this morning customers at Carphone Warehouse will be able to buy Virgin broadband, digital TV and phones from a special in-store services area showcasing the company. Virgin claims the in-store services area will operate as a "one-stop shop for all [the customer's] communication needs", which is what we thought a Carphone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anthony Allen

The Phone House

Is what they call themselves in sweden, at least I imagine its them as they have identical branding.

2. Sam

Local relief for local people

Somewhere the downtrodden VM customers can go to punch out a representative after their service/billing has been screwed up for the umpteenth time......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's in a name?

I know this article was short on analysis of what this announcement means, but was it right signing off on "What's increasingly clear is that the company needs a better name, and something less associated with a product that hasn't existed for 10 years."?

Firstly, as the story isn't about corporate branding but a change in the products offered, it's not that appropriate. Personally, I would have liked to have read a bit more details on stuff like what impact this is going to have on CW's own broadband service, what's in it for Virgin etc etc.- i.e. what the story was meant to be about

Secondly, changing a company name - especially when it's a household one - is a tricky business and doesn't always work. Sure, CW haven't sold carphones for ages - but given that I think you would have a hard time finding people unaware that of what CW flogs, and as marketing publications claim it's a strong brand, what's the point?

4. Davin S. George

Carphone*****house

A word that sums up CPW these days?

Would CarphoneWhoreHouse be appropriate? Like any good madam they'll pimp anything to anybody!

Just ask the staff!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are called the Phonehouse on the continent.

I would suggest the go down that route.

6. Si Lid

It has another name in Europe.

In Europe it is just called The Phone House.

7. pctechxp

Carphones still exist

http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=681ddba48fa43110VgnVCM1000008206b00aRCRD&show=productHome

8. Adam Salmon

Carphones

Hey car phones still exist, I have one, a Nokia 610 although that has now been replaced by the 616.

9. yeah, right.

Misreading things

I read that as "Virgin fills whorehouse with media" and "Crap-phone expands Virgin offering". Sweet.

10. Tony Abo

Carphone Warehouse - Name only used in the UK

The name 'Carphone Warehouse' is only used in the UK, it is known througout europe as 'The Phone House' (the logo is identical, only the text is different). If memory serves me correctly, the name wasn't changed, for fear of people thinking that it was not the same company; as it is an established, well known brand here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like