back to article Intel shows off X7900 CPU

Intel today officially debuted its long-awaited X7900 CPU. The Core 2 Duo Extreme dual-core processor was unveiled at the 2007 Games Convention in Germany and is Intel's highest performing notebook CPU to date. The X7900 is clocked at 2.8GHz, contains 4MB of L2 cache and runs on an 800MHz FSB. Intel said the CPU also features …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. edward wright

Shipping now

... in an iMac near you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh the unoriginality!

Oh ffs sake!

They are just trying to confuse people now. Considering Nvidia have cards called the 7900 GT/XT/INXS and ATI have the X1950 etc. it's hardly a helpful name.

Have a thought for us simpletons please!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange...

I've been sitting in front of one of them since this morning. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again...

4. kain preacher

video card

I went into this article thinking it was about a video card

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh!

Not only can I look forward to more customers confusing Windows XP and Office XP, but a 7900GTX and X7900...

No, really... Thanks!

6. Neil

mmmm

Oh come on who actually writes games that make full use of this power? While there is a strong games market on the PC the majority of titles are made to be cross ported to the various consoles to ensure maximum returns, therefore the physics and processing in a game are going to be limited to the least powerful processor installed in the current generation of machines.

Everybody knows the real candy comes from a powerful graphics card. Until we enter the era of real time ray tracing or voxels decide to make a return CPU's like this are just overkill.

7. Adam White

X7900

Don't worry, I reckon 99% of resellers will just call it a "2.8 GHz Intel Core2 Duo" or whatever. The X7900 stuff is just for hardware geeks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like