back to article BOFH: Damsels in distress

So the PFY and I are both on a quick junket to Paris and have managed to score seats in business class thanks to the combination of the Boss' short sightedness and the PFY accidentally stepping on his glasses until the lenses broke. "So what's this junket about then?" I ask the PFY while making the exact amount of eye contact …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 18 year old Macallan?!

Any BOFH worth his salt would plump for the 21 or 25y.o. surely? Especially if someone else is picking up the tab :-)

2. Matt Webster

First Class!

Another first class episode!

Speaking of which... "the uniformed woman striding down from first class"

You mean to say that with all their wit and cunning they only flew economy class!!

3. s

Macallan

Nah, anyone knows that the 18 is the best. Older ones are just more expensive and sharper...

I was just impressed with the BOH asking for a decent malt...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's nothing a skilled BOFH can't do !

It's true, the best results with hardware are achieved when pissed. It's pure science. Alcohol is a depressant and so gives you relaxed, steady hands. It's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

However I don't expect many of the paraffin-lamp-bus-drivers would really be shocked when someone mentions drinking ;o>

5. Ross Fleming

Matt, not economy!

"So the PFY and I are both on a quick junket to Paris and have managed to score seats in business class"

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

MInd-Melding

There is an Interesting SurReal Spooky Parallelism in the BOFHs tale and MSMonday .........Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for August 2007 Issued: August 9, 2007 ..... which is surely more of an OS Rebuild than any Critical Patching.

7. roy morris

Heh,

Tennants super. class.

8. Chris Morrison

Economy class?

They were in Business Class, of course.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re matt

matt if you read the start of the episode it states they flew business class, y'know, between first and economy...

10. Rob Holmes

Re First Class

By Matt Webster

Posted Friday 10th August 2007 11:42 GMT

Another first class episode!

Speaking of which... "the uniformed woman striding down from first class"

You mean to say that with all their wit and cunning they only flew economy class

Not according to the very first line in the episode.....

11. Stephen

Is it just me or...

...am i the only one who picked up on the Final Destination vibe at the end there...

12. Matt

@Matt

They were in Business Class.

First > Business > "Cattle".

13. Jacob

Macallan 18

I believe you may be forgetting that they have pulled Macalan 18 from all taste test competitions because it offers no competition the opportunity to win. Cheap blokes like myself stick with the Macallan 12 and only wait on someone to pass an 18 my way every now and then :)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a nightmare, not a dream...

Planes running on Wintel kit.., even if it is 3-out-of-5 rule... (shiver down spine)... yikes...

I would be dreaming about the stewardess, though...

Chivas 21 ain't better? With coconut milk and cashew nuts?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Why did the stewardess think that Macallan whisky (no 'e') came from Ireland - or even the USA? You know, where they spell whisky *with* an 'e'?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Final Destination

You mean you missed the Ghostbusters reference?

But seriously... Knoppix/Windows that's a tough one!

17. Colin

Macallan nah

If you want really good Whiskey get a bottle of Middleton Very Rare. Only 50 casks a year are made. Each bottle is numbered and signed by the Master Distiller for the ultimate guarantee of quality.

This is one whiskey that really has to be tried but be prepared to pay at least 100 pounds a bottle.

18. Christopher E. Stith

Other options

Macallan 18 is a fine choice. I'd have been happy with Lagavulin 16, Glenmorangie 10, Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 18 or 12, or Talisker 10. Hell, it's free, and there are several good options.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tape Head Cleaner

Johnny Walker is not up to tape head cleaning!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It depends where they were flying from

They just woke up at the end of the article and since there is only business and economy on UK to Paris flights, it would seem that they had dreamed the being in a decent seat as well

21. Karl Lattimer

Whiskey

If this is to become a list of favorite whiskey or recommendations there of for other bofh's out there may I recommend (ages in order of quality, best first);

Highland park, 35, 25, 15, 18, 12

Dallas Dhu, 23, 19, 15

Glenmorangie 12 golden rum cask, 10 three cask, 12, 10

The highland park 35 and 25 are generally cask strength and should be diluted to taste preferably with highland spring water for consistency.

Just a few of my favorites :)

22. Tim Ardizzone

Come on guys...

... you are forgetting Springbank 25yo.

23. Gavin Nottage

Microsoft on a plane?

I know that the Navy now use M$ on some warships, but aeroplanes would not be running Microsoft OSes for anything remotely critical. And although it could be fairly standard Intel type hardware, it's unlikely to boot from USB by nature of a locked down BIOS and lack of accessible physical ports.

Of course it's only in the dream of the BOFH that he fixed the "system" and saved the plane etc...

24. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Save the plane?

I thought it actually went down before waking up ...

... of course, that is if it is to be of Final Destination tradition. (Take in mind that reformatting would wipe out any software in there, regardless of the new OS ;)

Anyway, isn't there some disclaimer about Winbugs not to be used in situations where somebody's life would depend on it? (Medical appliances to boot with)

25. Brett

Come on guys...

Tim - Springbank 25yo , didn't think you could still get it !

26. John O'Leary

Flown in Europe recently?

> Grab us a six pack of Tennants Super from your carry on will you?

Not a chance.

27. John O'Leary

Flown in Europe recently?

> Grab us a six pack of Tennants Super from your carry on will you?

Not a chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.