back to article Sony preps fix-filled PS3 firmware update

Sony has confirmed that the next release of the PlayStation 3 firmware, version 1.9, will be available in the US "in the next few days". It's already been released to Japanese console owners, and will almost certainly come to Europe shortly. Firmware 1.9 will allow users to customise their XMB - the PS3's answer to a computer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's already out

1.9 is available now, in the UK at least. I updated mine this morning.

2. Russell Hewson

To be pedantic...

1080p/24 came with the 1.8 update, the problem was that there are quite a few TVs that can display it, but haven't got the right EDID information to tell the PS3 that they can. As the only options were 'Auto' (where it checks with the TV if it can play it) and 'Off' these TVs couldn't display 24fps from the PS3 if connected directly to it (most notable the Samsung M86/7 and the Toshiba X series had this problem to varying degrees). The 1.9 firmware adds an option to force 24fps mode on.

3. Darryl Ashton

Last firmware update

Actually, the last firmware update was 1.82, at the end of June. So not that long ago!

4. Paul Howarth

Bluray

My 1.80 firmware already plays 24hz playback on bluray.

Perhaps its a forced 24hz mode?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony

No i think you'll find PS3 bashing is popular here, but doesn't match the level of Apple-related bashing on The Register.

But I agree, i can't see a single 'fix' on that list really, the closest being that one now has the option to force 24fps on, but by the terms of any product development/engineering team, that is still considered an additional feature.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not good enough

Firmware updates have still not included DivX / Xvid playback - this is a key feature for the system advertised as a complete multimedia solution.

How complete is it without codecs to play back the most popular video encoding in the world?

My advice - don't buy a PS3 until they fix this, I did and now I'm regretting it as I can't play any of my media files on it.

What a waste of money!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fixes?

I agree with Mark. Where are the list of bugs that are 'fixed'?

8. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Sony

No Apple, Sony or - for that matter - any company bashing here on Register Hardware. If a firm messes up, we'll say so, no matter who it is. Readers are free to bash away, if they wish.

Who The Register choses to bash - or not - is its own business.

9. jai

divx?

"most popular video encoding in the world?"

well, for pirated and bootleg video maybe.

so what you're really annoyed about is that Sony aren't letting you watch all your illegal media, yes?

didn't you bother to do any research before you bought your ps3? you didn't bother to read the system specs, or read any of the web forums that were discussing how unlikely it will be that divx will ever be supported?

10. Law

wow

Sony are so cutting edge, they even managed to get a software Eject option stuck into their £300+ console by firmware version 1.9.... ? *claps hands*

After knowing this, I will never bitch about my 360 crashing once every other week EVER again.... having said that, they are both as bad as each other this generation, but at least with M$ I was only mildly raped of my cash, instead of gang-raped by Sony.

Tell me, can you switch on your console via the controller too??

11. jai

@Law

and what good is a software eject anyway? you've still gotta get up and walk over to the machine to change the smegging disc anyway

12. Ross Fleming

Software eject - early remote controls

Software eject is very similar to the very early remote controls. I had one of these before my TV could support it. It was called a very long stick with which to push the relevant buttons.

Oh I was the envy of the neighbourhood...

13. Steve Barnes

Re:

"most popular video encoding in the world?"

well, for pirated and bootleg video maybe.

Lol, which the majority of videos encoded are!

"Sony are so cutting edge, they even managed to get a software Eject option stuck into their £300+ console by firmware version 1.9.... ? *claps hands*

After knowing this, I will never bitch about my 360 crashing once every other week EVER again"

LOL! You know what? You're right! Having an eject feature added to the menu months after creation IS a lot worse than having your console break down every other week! *shakes head in disbelief*

14. fluffy

So what did I get last night?

My brand-new 60GB PS3 arrived yesterday and as soon as I hooked it up, it downloaded firmware 1.90. US model, here. Did I just luck out and happen to update my system at the right time to win the lottery? I hope so, because dang that was a slow download.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like