back to article Men jailed for inciting terrorism on the internet

Three men have been jailed for their use of the internet to incite terrorism. The three were convicted after entering a late change of plea to 'guilty' earlier this week. Younes Tsouli, Waseem Mughal and Tariq Al-Daour were convicted at Woolwich Crown Court and have been sentenced to a combined 24 years in prison in a trial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hagan

What a ballbag

How can you prevent the learning on the internet of knowledge discovered thousands of years ago and freely available in any gcse chemistry textbook, the mans a retard.

2. heystoopid

The Next Question?

The next question is when are the public book burnings and all libraries from the local to University level get to be purged of all crime novels , and many other assorted titles , to protect us from inciting or using our imagination?

Why do I get the feeling the exact same thing happened to a middle European country in 1933 to one Dutch National called Marinus van der Lubbe and three other Bulgarians tried in March that year and leading to the disappearance of another 4000 citizens without trial that same night as he was arrested !

Now , we already have the interesting fact that non elected State Officials can sanction without just cause or limits and suspend all legal rights and then hold people indefinitely without trial in unnamed interment camps around the world!

Those , that fail to learn the lesson from history are but doomed to repeat them! , old Adolf and Joe from last century , must be smiling in their graves , for what is happening in this new century!

Or as one Australian Prime Minister John Howard said in a recent press conference , if the laws are found to be wanting we will rewrite them to obtain a conviction at any cost literally !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

brainiac

Better get that lovely show - now hosted by Vic reeves - banned from the airwaves. They routinely show caravans or sheds being blown to smitherines by some wonderful concoction of chemicals and tell us the ingredients as its being shown. Will this constitute a violation of the law if its brought in?

Mind you, knowing that a cake contains eggs and flour, doesn't mean you can bake one successfully - maybe it will be fine afterall.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Steve Roper

Not terrorists, but you and I

Of course, we all know that the REAL motivation behind anti-weapon censorship isn't stopping terrorists. Terrorists don't need to go to the internet to learn how to make bombs and explosives. They have their schools and training camps to learn all that.

No - it's so the likes of you and I don't go getting ideas about how to fight for our freedom as the law continues to tighten the noose around our necks.

There will come a time, when the law finally oversteps its bounds, when enough people wish to stand and say "No more" that it could become a serious problem for the ruling power. I don't know what that law will be, whether it will be compulsory tracking implants in all babies, requiring permits and checkpoints to leave your suburb, or granting the police the right to confiscate all your possessions and put you away forever without giving any reason. But the law will continue to erode our freedom until all forms of human rights become a prerogative only of the ruling class.

So it's important for the ruling class to defuse any possible future revolutions by preventing people from devising any means of fighting back. In times past, when governments ruled by religion and tradition and bloodline, backed by sword and axe and arrow, peasants with pitchforks had a fighting chance if their numbers were sufficient. But in these times, when governments rule by fear and censorship and crowd psychology, backed up by guns and tanks and planes, the possibility of resistance diminishes towards zero. The degree of tyranny imposed will be inversely proportional to the possibility of resistance. Most western countries have already imposed severe restrictions on the ownership of firearms - with the US the only notable exception. Censoring any form of weapon that could empower the public to oppose government mandates by force and collective action is another essential step in this chain.

The lessons of the past are there for all to read. The ancient Greeks and pre-Julian Romans practiced democracy, which degenerated into imperialism - with the best of motives. Following the rule of the Caesars, the anti-Roman resistance movement (which came to be called Christianity) was assimilated and perverted from its original intent. It gave rise to a Dark Age where all advancement and elightenment perished, that lasted nearly two thousand years. Only in the mid 18th century did democracy begin to make a comeback, with the formation of Parliament in the UK and the Constitution of the United States.

Now history repeats itself. As with the Greeks and Romans, our brief few centuries of democracy are degenerating into imperialism, with the ruling classes again perverting and betraying the ideals of democracy and freedom for their own gain. As before, so again now; we are staring straight down the barrel of another two-thousand-year Dark Age. Perhaps longer this time, thanks to the power of science and technology and psychology that allows the mass manipulation and control of whole populations. In the face of that power, there may never be a return to enlightened freedom.

That is our future. That is why I do not and will not have children. That is why I encourage others not to have them. This is the only weapon I have left - to deny future rulers their slaves. Yes, I know such efforts are futile. But I can find only pity for today's children who will grow up to live this horror, and I could not bring myself to condemn my progeny to the second Dark Age that is upon us, as certainly as night follows day.

6. Adrian Midgley

Switzerland and the third dark age

Switzerland is also notable, surely.

As is the optimism which labels the next dark age the second. Still, it may not come.

7. Naiirita

@steve roper

you certainly have an interesting view of history, but it seems off on a few point. most notably christianity was never an anti roman movement, by ANY stretch of the imagination.

8. Andy

Switzerland?

Adrian, I'm not sure I understand your comment about Switzerland, can you please explain further what you meant?

Thanks.

9. PH

re: steve roper

Andy - the Swiss population are all obliged to keep a gun at home, just in case any of the neighbours pop round the mountains for an visit unannounced.

Nice to hear Steve's viewpoint.

Indeed, it's abundantly clear that the pro-corporate two-party dictatorship we have in most Western countries has far more flaws than it has advantages for the average citizens of earth. And it's pretty likely that this power balance will eventually prove unsustainable.

Criminalising popular access to information on resistance tactics means we've got to count on the Next Big Revolution being either a velvet one or hope for a benign military to help us through our coming troubles. Yeah, right.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I missed that!

Sorry guys, I thought we were all against websites which support terrorists. I was obviously wrong. The only flaw here is that those convicted are not ALL being deported, with, one would hope, more sucess than most other terrorist g--shites seem to be. No one is against knowledge being shared, but if that knowledge means learning to kill and maim US and OURS, then surely they have to be stopped. The point about the Swiss is well taken, but they are all in the Armed Forces Reserve, and do not keep weapons at home just 'cos they are all closet William Tells. All are subject to conscription in time of war, and all keep all their kit at home with them.I myself was forced to hand in two handguns under the last Government attempt to render this nation helpless. Another interesting point on this fiasco, is that in the gun club to which I then belonged, were several police officers. All of these were members of the various police firearms sections of our local force, as I had been during my service (1971 to 1979) Imagine being told. You are okay to carry this HandK MP5 on duty, but we don't trust you with this Ruger .22 revolver off duty. Before the armchair Wyatt Earps jump in with concealment, a HandK is no problem if one wears a coat or anorak. Lions led by donkeys! The lunatics truly now ARE running this particular asylum!

This topic is closed for new posts.