back to article Sweaty spooks feel the heat as NSA runs short of juice

The National Security Agency (NSA), America's ultrasecret electronic spy agency, may be on the verge of a disastrous power overload at its Maryland headquarters. According to the Baltimore Sun, energy supplies to the NSA's Fort Meade head-shed have been under strain for some time, with problems reaching a critical level last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dillon Pyron

Suddenly?

This has been predicted and "management" has known about this for about 5 years. Heck, Google knew about their issues 3 years ago and fixed it. The NSA's problem is that they're stuck back in the mid 90s when big iron was king.

2. Russell Sakne

Why does the NSA have to do this or fund it?

It's not like they won't *use* more power capacity if the utility company builds it into the area. Maybe PEPCO doesn't think the Government will pay their bills.

3. James Pickett

Back door

So it looks like all those pesky terrorists have to do to shut them down is cut off the power. Darn!

(After all, if the grid can't supply enough, their backup generators certainly won't.)

4. Jasmine Strong

Good

I feel slightly safer when the NSA is having problems.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proof of Global Warming

When the spooks run out of air conditioning I'd say that's incontravertible proof that it is a serious problem.

Or maybe Global Warming is caused by the sub-tropical wind blowing out of Washington...

6. Rick

Take a hint or get a contract

With the speed and grace Google has been stamping out their new Data Centers you would figure the NSA could have taken a hint. Oh wait its the government and they are all about waste and red tape. As I said in the Google report I'm just throwing it out there but as fast as Google is putting these things together I would suspect there has to be some kind of government angle on this thing. States are just lining up to have one put in. No enviromental impact survey's or anything just sign and build we think about it later.

7. Rob

Neal Stephenson IS the prophet!

He predicted the merging of the CIA and the National Library of Congress.

NSA moves into Google datacentres, completes scanning everything in print, backs up all data traffic in the google system, and Neal collects the IP rights.

This topic is closed for new posts.