back to article Google boss brandishes 'powerful' iPhone

On a jaunt to Paris yesterday, Google CEO Eric Schmidt whipped out his iPhone in public, waved it around and proclaimed it a "powerful new device". The Apple board member, whose iPhone had already been glimpsed as he sat an watched Steve Jobs' Worldwide Developers Conference keynote last week, was speaking at a mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JJ

Why do they bother?!

'The iPhone, launching in the US on 29 June, will incorporate search and mapping technology from Google and allow for calls to be made directly from Google Maps.'

As does my N95, and indeed any other phone that has the Google Maps application installed.

Hardly a killer app if everyone can already get it for free anyway on other mobile platforms.

Except of course that unlike the other platforms, on the iPhone you can't install 3rd party apps!

2. Dillon Pyron

but, but , but

But it's an iPhone. That makes all the difference in the world.

I look forward to Linux based phones with an X-Windows GUI. I can create an x-term and ssh back through my firewall at home. The phone will have a little fan and everything.

3. Harry Sheppard

Schmidt triggers...

I take my hat off to you, sir - that clever-yet-groanworthy pun nearly passed me by!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Paul

linux smartphone?

there are already, just it's well hidden. interestng linux devices include the Fic Neo (openmoko), various Motorola devices (which use trolltech QT underneath but not the qtopia front end), various Skype phones.

I will single the TomTom GO as one of the most common devices around running linux that hides it so well many people don't know. OK, it's not a phone, but it does act as a bluetooth headset.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like