back to article Medion muscles into UMPC market

Medion has officially launched its debut device in the ultra-mobile PC arena: the UMPC RIM 1000, first seen at CES in Las Vegas earlier this year. At the same time the manufacturer announced its latest sat nav GPS device - the GoPal S2310. Medion UMPC Rim 1000 The the UMPC RIM 1000 incorporates a VIA C7-M 770 ULV processor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel Silver badge

mmm...

.... and they've managed to make it relatively sexy as well. Not exactly cheap though - if you can buy the Sony for 100 quid more the Medion might be a tough sell.

Any thoughts on the split keyboard?

2. Jon Fitt

Pricing will be deciding factor

It is interesting to see that they'll be selling these UMPCs in supermarkets to increase awareness, but I think they will be severely limited by that price.

I am definitely in the target market for these devices I own a high spec PC, my wife has a high performance laptop, my phone is an all singing/dancing Window Mobile device etc., and an UMPC is definitely a desirable item for me.

But they are only ever something I want not something I even remotely need and at £800 ($1600-odd) I can't justify buying one. I think until they fall to the £200-£400 range which is comparable to a low priced laptop it will only be an oddity for the rich geek and show-off city-boy.

This topic is closed for new posts.