back to article BT readies 'on the night' 21CN mass migration trial

BT will begin trialling mass migrations to its new unified network in a series of acid tests in Swansea this summer. The telco says it has proved the technology behind its £10bn nationwide 21CN project in two small South Wales towns, Wick and Bledinog. Now it has to demonstrate that it can move people over to wholly IP-based …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Evans

Copper? *cough*

Don't believe the hype, there a large chunks of the country cursed by aluminium pairs.

Aluminium is a fair enough conductor, unfortunately over time it get brittle, then the slightest disturbance (Mr Prescott's call for more houses for example) causes fractures, and bye bye broadband.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Copper? *cough*

I thought part of the plan with the migration was to replace the aluminium with copper. One thing I that is not clear with this 21CN is what exactly is the advantage for the consumer, particually with regards broadband. Currently I can only get 512k as I live too far from the exchange? is this going to change, and if so will I have to do anything, or will I be forced to change to BT as the provider, or one of their supsidarys?

3. Adrian Coward

RE: Copper? *cough*

Broadband speeds are (almost) entirely dependant on the local access network, so I suspect your 512K would not improve. Though, having said that, ADSL2 does make more efficient use of the spectrum - it may lead to a speed boost.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Copper? *cough*

Hi Steve - I'm not sure what you are referring to - ADSL in the UK is not provided on lines where the last mile is delivered using aluminium.

For a few years therefore, those with lines delivered using aluminium could not get broadband. Later however, BT devised a process whereby those people, when ordering broadband, would be provided with brand new copper lines.

The areas where aluminium provided cannot be described as 'large chunks' - that is over-egging it - those in this position are very much a small minority. I am sure if you look you will find figures for this...

Very early on (we talking a number of years ago), some broadband may have be provisioned on aluminium before BT realised this was a bad thing I suppose.

If you yourself are unlucky enough to have an aluminium line with broadband on it, i suggest you contact a good ISP and ask them to provide you with broadband on copper. A provider who is smaller and a bit more technical than most like Zen, Entanet, Andrews & Arnold are more likely to understand this issue than some of the larger consumer ones like BT, Orange, Carphone etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.