back to article Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84

Writer Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday at 84 as a result of brain injuries suffered in a fall at his Manhattan home, news agencies report. Vonnegut was born in 1922 in Indianapolis, the son of third-generation German-Americans. His first forays into writing came at high schol and university. During a spell at Cornell during 1941-2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...and so it goes!

god bless Kilgore Trout and all who may sail with him!

2. Greg Nelson

Life After Death

Kurt Vonnegut will haunt me for a long time. During a prolonged push to grok the American experience I read a lot of Vonnegut, strangely, I learned more from the man than from his works and came to love the man more than his works. Authors like John Updike and Sinclair Lewis seem to hit closer to the small heart of America. Vonnegut, like Miles Davis, walked out onto the world stage, played, then left without the fanfare and projected, self importance of many cultural icons who come to believe their own press.

Borrowing from a soul like his... "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Player Piano

Player Piano pretty much matches my fathers experience, working at the same company Kurt worked for (I think Kurt was in the marketing area) The awe of the engineering possibilities: the wonder about the human future: the disbelief about management and labor relations. I wonder if the staff at google feel the same way now as engineers felt in the 1950's?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022