back to article Most spiked drink victims actually legless

Researchers at Wrexham Maelor Hospital who tested wobbly hospital patients who claimed their drinks had been spiked found most were simply legless, the BBC reports. A year-long study - "aimed to assess the scale of drink-spiking in the area and identify problems at specific clubs and pubs" - revealed that just one fifth tested …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most common spiking drug

Other research has shown the most commonly used drug for spiking drinks is alcohol, so this research is hardly conclusive...

2. Silas Humphreys

I'd like to know how I can drink from the bottle...

My preferred tipple is a pint of beer. This involves pumping it from the barrel in the cellar to a nice wide-mouthed glass. You don't get any taste drinking from the bottle, which is why I decant my beer if I'm drinking at home, and washing up be damned.

Or am I supposed to switch to alcopops? Those are officially Bad, I thought...

3. Yura

GHB not GBH!!!!!!!

Grievous bodily harm!!! what kind of joke is that!!!

its GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate)!!!!!

4. A J Stiles

Surprise, surprise

Looking at it all logically, what motivation is there to spike a complete stranger's drink -- especially given that you are unlikely to be around to watch when the effects kick in?

You might conceivably resort to slipping your friend a little extra in the hope of getting something in return, or just to see what effect it has on them -- that sort of thing has been going on ever since humans discovered that drinking the juice of rotten fruit, breathing the smoke from burning spiky-leafed plants, licking toads or eating certain kind of mushrooms had "interesting" effects.

But if I was a drug dealer, I certainly wouldn't waste good merchandise on somebody I was in all probability never going to see again! And if it was lousy merchandise, I'd still try to *sell* it to people I was never going to see again!

And I wonder what proportion of the 20% who did test positive for drugs, had actually taken them on purpose but were simply ill-prepared for the consequences?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GBH v GHB

GHB may be the correct chemical abbreviation, but it is often referred to as GBH in slang parlance.

This topic is closed for new posts.