back to article Firefox 3 alpha unleashed

Mozilla is calling on developers to help it ensure that the next version of the open source web browser is solid. And it has released an alpha version of Firefox 3 for developers to play with. The superstructure of Firefox 3 alpha is built around Gecko 1.9, an updated layout engine. The browser, tentatively scheduled for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Orientated"?

I've been hearing rumours that "orientated" was making it into the modern lingo. It would seem that my fears are being realized...

2. Les

Modern lingo, eh?

Yeah, quite shocking that. The OED's earliest citation for "orientated" is as recent as 1886. Fancy the Reg being that quick to pick up on the Zeitgeist....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not meaning to be picky, but...

Could we have Firefox 2.1 first please?

For me at least, firefox 2 on OSX sucks (I've really come to know and love the "firefox has unexpectedly quit" message).

Sigh, back to 1.5 for me. Not that I'm missing much. What's so in the new firefox that deserves the whole new version number? Seems all that's happened is that the 'close tab' icon has moved and now I can reopen tabs that were previously closed. And it's a lot less stable.

[/rant]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> "Orientated"?

As a developer you wouldn't write a function called:

cancelPlease(...)

when

cancel(...)

would be fine.

Why use 'Orientated' when the perfectly serviceable and shorter, and more correct 'Oriented' exists.

Keep on fighting the good fight! Don't let people use 'leverage' as a verb when 'leverage' is already the noun form of the perfectly serviceable verb 'lever'.

*sigh* been waiting for ages to vent spleen over use of "object-orientated", et al.

5. Jarrad Harries

Yes, "Orientated"

For the first poster's benefit, who presumably is from the US (as evinced by a profligate use of letter "z") the UK usage is more commonly "orientated", although either form is used. The etymology of "orientated" is exactly as you might think; it originally meant "to align oneself with or face the East".

For some reason, "occidented" or "occidentated" have never caught on ;-)

6. Peter Clarke

RE: "Orientated"?

"Orientated" is a legitimate word generally used in British English (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutgrammar/oriented?view=uk), but then I'm sure the anonymous poster who brought this up can be forgiven for not realiSing that...

7. Dan Atkinson

And Acid Test 2 compliant!

It's also been reported that one of the builds which has recently landed on the trunk is actually renders infamous Acid Test 2 correctly:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/acid/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mac OSX

Hmm...in response to the rant about Firefox 2 on Mac, I couldn't be happier with it. Haven't had any 'unexpectedly quit' messages at all and I use it all day every day.

9. Kent

First post

Judging from the spelling of rumour, I would guess that the poster is Canadian, not American.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022