back to article Click here to see the New Zealand livestream mass-murder vid! This is the internet Facebook, YouTube, Twitter built!

An Australian who murdered dozens in New Zealand on Friday livestreamed the deaths on Facebook, spinning a spotlight onto the abject failure of social media to control harmful content. The 28-year-old shooter, whose name isn't worth publishing, fired on defenseless people attending prayers at two Christchurch mosques, killing …

Page:

1. Trollslayer
    Flame

Block Farcebook and Tw*tter

I despise them and use a browser utility called Privacy Badger that blocks everything from them, including the cookies in Farcebook's hidden pixels.

Those appear in various adverts to get users to see them when they go on those websites.

2. Paul 87

The more censorship that's needed, the more we try and stamp out hateful ideas by blocking them away, the more the terrorists win in their goals.

The far right lunatics *want* a police state, they *want* people to be oppressed and restricted in what they can and can't say.

It's a horrendous event, but lets drag the ideas expressed out into the light and ridicule them, make a joke out of them and expose them for the pathetic rantings that they are. If it were legal to do so, I'd suggest putting the idiot naked into a perspex cage, with one way sound, and let people point and laugh at what a pathetic example of humanity he is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Far Right

I have a problem with the concept of such mental defectives that want to get rid of someone based on their heritage being associated in anyway with any political wing.

They are nutcases, and should be judged solely on their own idiocy.

3. a_yank_lurker

Fundamental Problems

There are a couple of fundamental problems this highlights. There is no way a priori the service will know what the content will be. Since the vast majority is either benign or someone trying to win a Darwin Award the vast majority of content just needs a quick once over. The problem is the extreme edge cases like this one; either you disallow live streaming or you run the risk of something like this happening. I personally say run the risk and try educate the Congress critter equivalents you have limited control over what is being streamed initially. The best you can do is pull the plug on the stream. The other problem is the voyeurs who will watch something like this who create a 'market' for this kind of video. If no one watched the stream, then there would be no point in doing one.

What I would like to know is how many people actually watched it live (or even initially knew about it) and how many people watched it because the media babbled about its existence. I saw a headline about the massacre shortly after it occurred but only later read about the video (haven't tried to watch it). I am more complaining about sites like CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News that will babble about the stream while it is still available implying people need to watch it. This is an artifact of the 24hr news cycle where no one wants to be left without the most graphic images possible of an unfolding story and their need to hype any tragedy for views and clicks with intelligent reporting and commentary being ignored. What I have seen all these channels do is find some babblemouths to opine on rumors as the story unfolds when details are sketching while presenting this nonsense as expert knowledge bordering on hard facts.

4. Mystic Megabyte
    WTF?

sad day

The person who I shall refer to as "Yet Another Stupid One" or YASO is so stupid that I'll bet that he does not know the meaning of the word hypocrisy.

Coming from Australia, a country that did not exist before immigration, and where the incomers tried to commit genocide. Sending this YASO and Brevik to the bottom of the Mariana Trench is too good for them, although, with weights on their feet, I would volunteer to help them over the side of the boat.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: sad day

"Coming from Australia, a country that did not exist before immigration"

Not forgetting the ultimate hippocracy in that he himself was an immigrant to NZ having emigrated from OZ.

5. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

It is a difficult one. Who decides what is illegal content? As other commenters have noted, some things are perfectly legal in some jurisdictions but not in others. Do we make the popular social media platforms such as google and facebook free of anything vaguely contentious anywhere. No kissing couples (same or different sex - doesn't matter - it's all contentious), no video game uploads, no talking about abortion, no talk of freedom of the press. Only fun stuff like people smashing up iphones, cats being cute and reviews of tech. And adverts.

Having a several minute (or even an hour or two) delay while some human checks content is a good idea, so no more live feeds - not such a great loss for many people.

But posts about weapons, racist ideologies and killing could easily be taken down if only facebook et al actually employed enough people. Sure, they'd make less profit, but aren't they just a little bit too greedy as it is?

Case in point, and nothing to do with killing: I've noticed in my facebook feed, day after day, adverts for cheap Microsoft software. Not just cheap but software that's only available by subscription (office 365) with "lifetime keys". Clearly illegal stuff and probably using stolen accounts. And with different companies almost every day peddling this stuff. FIrst of all, Facebook should detect this, it's easy, with a human in charge. Secondly, when I report it to Facebook, only one of two things ever happens: 90% of the time, I get no response, and the remaining 10% of the time, I get a message back saying it doesn't contravene Facebook's standards! There's no way to offer up an explanation, no way to report again.

Now if Facebook can't even manage a bit of obviously illegal software, how the hell would they manage to prevent live-streaming of killings in a reasonable space of time?

These companies need to seriously up their game. They created this monster, and they should be able to advise on the best solutions! Government regulation is doubtlessly required as well. Massive fines should focus the attention of social media companies.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"when I report it to Facebook"

You're reporting it to the wrong place. Microsoft or maybe FAST would be more interested. And in any case what are these Facebook standards of which you write?

6. Charles Calthrop

beautiful article

thank you. Articulated what I was thinking much better than I could.

Ironically would share were I still on facebook.

We have to hope we can fix this

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Root causes

Start with the gun laws, seems this may be the case in NZ.

Force all publishers to be responsible for what they accept/host online.

Educate kids in anti troll/hate messages.

Of course, religion has a lot to answer for but as it appears to be a core function of humanity, who knows what can be done.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Root causes

"Start with the gun laws, seems this may be the case in NZ."

NZ's gun laws are pretty good - to the point that the vast majority of "mass killings" over the years have been performed with double barrel shotguns. More knee-jerk gun control laws won't help the issue.

OTOH _Enforcement_ of NZ's gun laws (particularly the need for psychological assessment before being declared fit to possess category E weapons and general mental health assessment) is lacking - and that's down to an overly complacent/lazy police force. (If you think "Gene Hunt" (or worse) mentality you're about right - look at the gung ho way Kim Dotcom's place was raided. UK police who've moved to NZ have generally found they can't stomach it and left again. Tales abound in e2nz.com)

I've had dealings with regional police in NZ. Unless handed everything on a silver platter they're unlikely to take action to prevent crime occurring(+) and even when organised crime rings settle in the country it takes concerted prodding to get them to notice - cf Rathkeale Rovers having a substantial number of family units circulating in the country - police now acknowledging at least 32 known offenders, but only 4 in custody/one able to flee the country in less than 24 hours after being released on bail using on a relative's passport - and this only because annoyed citizens started researching and piling material to a height which couldn't be ignored - tie ins also noted to multi-billion dollar drug smuggling, so the roofing/driveway scams seem to be a distraction tactic in both Australia and NZ - the more being dug up, the more obvious it is becoming that this organised crime 'family' has been resident in AU/NZ for at least 20 if not 30+ years)

(+) In a number of cases the _police_ have been the criminals. NZ has had a notable number of criminal convictions overturned in the House of Lords where the Law Lords pointed out obviously fabricated evidence and made very harsh criticisms of policecondust and judiciary's over-cozy relationships with them - NZ's response was to remove the House of Lords as the independent highest court so that couldn't happen anymore.

In _most_ cases over the years it's come out that NZ police failed to heed warnings of erratic or extremist behaviour in the days/weeks/months leading up to an incident - Aromoana is held out as the classic case because of its horror, the use of automatic weapons and rural isolation, but there are dozens more cases of murders where the police were warned week/months beforehand but stood by and did nothing until triggers were pulled.

NZ has one of the highest per-capita gun ownership rates in the western world (at one point substantially higher than the USA) and one of the lowest firearms-involved(*) crime rates so they must be doing most things right, however when they do get things wrong, they get them very very wrong.

(*) Virtually every case has involved stolen weapons(**), locally manufactured weapons or ones which have been smuggled in/been in criminal circulation for decades (***)

(**) Securing your weapons is a big deal and having stuff stolen is grounds for license revokation. Despite individual weapons not needing registration (they used to, it was found to be ineffective) owners are required to keep records of serial numbers, etc.

(***) It's _difficult_ to smuggle things into a country that's 3 hours flight from anywhere else and some of the stuff criminals have predates effective gun laws enacted 50 years ago

1. Kiwi
        Pint

Re: Root causes

I've had dealings with regional police in NZ. Unless handed everything on a silver platter they're unlikely to take action to prevent crime occurring(+)

(+) In a number of cases the _police_ have been the criminals.

I could tell you stories, but I think you may've already come across some of them.

I guess according to some here on El Reg that makes us both anarchists! :)

I'm always amazed at how NZ police seem to rate as the least corrupt in the world, yet I don't think you'll find a lazier more incompetent self-entitled bunch anywhere else.

8. johnrobyclayton

You get what you...

You get what you pay for

Facebook, Youtube etc, are free or cheap enough, except for your attention and the information about yourself that you give up.

You get what you vote for

If you want something different, vote differently, if you do not like the choices, run for office yourself.

You get what you do nothing to stop

Evil happens when good people do nothing to stop it irrespective of what their opinions on what good and evil are.

If you do not like a company's behaviour:

Go to another company.

Create your own that out competes them that behaves as you see fit.

Buy them and change their behaviour.

Vote for legislators that create the regulations that enforce the behaviours you require.

Become a legislator and vote for the regulations that you require.

Do something that stops behaviours that you deem evil. Convince others to prevent evil from being done. Share your attempts with others.

You might want to create a manifesto in this case, just so people can understand your choices and the intent of your actions.

As has been said before, there are no easy options here.

There are plenty of easy to state wishes that are in a lot of cases, especially now extremely heartfelt.

But as has been observed many times before magical wish based thinking and requirements in the political/technological/social/environmental spaces serve no useful purpose.

It is only the choices that we make, the actions that we engage in that makes the world what we want. We live in a world full of other people that are choosing and acting as they see fit.

If these events prompt you to choose something or do something, then make your choice. Act.

1. Kiwi
      Pint

Re: You get what you...

It is only the choices that we make, the actions that we engage in that makes the world what we want. We live in a world full of other people that are choosing and acting as they see fit.

Well said!

I do my best (most of the time) to model not only the behaviours and things I believe to be right, but to also show that I can live a happy life by them.

As I've said around here before, people have threatened me but I don't let that get to me (I won't go on a hunting trip with such people either of course, but I won't live in fear). Do what makes yourself happy, but try hard to not do what makes others sad (unless their 'sad' is demonstrably unreasonable). Try to win others over to your POV, but let them share their POV with you as well - you might learn something valuable.

Jesus said "treat others as you would have them treat you". Bill and Ted said "be excellent to each other". Either one works.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I got as far as the ridiculous attempt to try and shift blame onto the US and, by default, Trump, and then stopped reading. The trips to Eastern Europe, where racism is prevalent, and his admiration for the Chinese, and just think of their treatment of the Uighurs, is completely ignored in favour of "Blame the US and Trump". I expect that sort of nonsense from the Guardian and Daily Heil, not El Reg, and the author should be ashamed of himself for such blatant political point-scoring nonsense whilst the bodies of the victims haven't even gone cold. Congratulations, El Reg, you've just lost another reader, for if you can't stay out of the same drivel as the gutter press and stick to tech news then there's no place for you in my life for such moronity will be treated with the contempt it deserves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Baldy Man

Most articles that I am interested in, I read completely.

Some, like this, I tend to straight to the comment thread as I expect to see the same attacks you are now leaving this otherwise wondrous site because of.

2. Kiwi

Given your creating an account just to post that trash, I have a feeling you weren't exactly much of an El Reg regular.

Door's over that way ->. Don't let it hit your backside on the way out.

10. Snow Wombat
    FAIL

Except...

Silicon Valley and co can not be trusted, not to abuse those real time censorship tools for political ends.

So no, this is a terrible idea.

11. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

An Alien Three Penny Worth .....

Does NOT sharing/understanding the aftermath and/or consequences of tragic incidents, with the selective non presentation of witnessing media, not fatally insulate and isolate the masses from the work of others they really should know everything about?

It is certainly something the chattering political classes fear most in their shenanigans to try and ensure their cabal's/revolutionary council's/closet cloistered Cabinets secrets for remaining in retention of command and control, remain widely generally unknown. It is all so perversely incestuous.

With probably one of the biggest secrets being they are just as puppets tasked with doing the bidding of a whole raft of other faceless beings wishing to remain nameless and relatively invisible and thus to think themselves virtually invincible. Perfect useful and useless idiots indeed in a time where nothing escapes scrutinous observation.

Such always has me thinking Einsteinian ......

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: An Alien Three Penny Worth .....

My £€¥$§0.02 worth.

The problem isn't so much that the content wasnt taken down quickly enough but that nutters shared it everywhere. We should examine the possibility of formal charges against every last one of them.

12. Greg Fawcett

Thank you

I'm a kiwi. There has literally only been one story on TV, radio and news sites for the last three days, with hundreds of opinions and variations of our PM's "they are us" message. So I wasn't expecting much from an article on a tech website, but I'm blown away.

First, for identifying the prime motivation for this sick individual (glory), and not giving him an ounce of it. Second for pointing out how if FB had cut his feed, he probably wouldn't have done it, and therefore how complicit big tech is. I'm hoping Google engineers spent their weekend figuring out how their vaunted AI could have stopped this; I have less faith in Facebook and Twitter's management.

To those debating how criminal you have to be to be banned from Facebook; or how dangerous a gun has to be to banned; get real. The main reason NZ is so cool is that we're small, and we only have two degrees of separation. When most of us know someone who knows someone who was affected, "but I need a semi-automatic for <unconvincing reason>" just doesn't cut it - we'll have legislation banning semi-automatics on the table by the end of the week. I just hope that the ideas from this article provoke as much action against filterless social media.

13. kiwi.mec

Christchurch tragedy-related scams and attacks

For anyone who thought that the Internet had reached the bottom of the barrel for us kiwis, think again: https://www.cert.govt.nz/businesses-and-individuals/recent-threats/christchurch-tragedy-related-scams-and-attacks/ It's really hard to imagine the low life's that would resort to taking advantage of such a situation.

14. fung0

No such thing as 'a little censorship'

Freedom of speech is indivisible, because there is no omniscient arbiter. As soon as you draw a line, others will get to work moving it. The 'common sense' rules you establish to muzzle 'offensive' others will soon be used to muzzle you.

15. martinusher Silver badge

Maybe a missed opportunity?

You can't hide atrocities but you can certainly personalize them. Some of the most powerful write ups of mass murders have been a page with the picture and a short biography of each victim. This is so powerful because the victims stop being statistics and start to be people -- friends, neighbors, colleagues, and ultimately, any of us.

So I'd grab that video feed and add a commentary to it -- this 'thing' that he's just shot was actually a person with a name, age and a biography.

We also need to talk about the injured because apart from the emotional scars people who get shot and survive often have life changing injuries -- sure, they're not dead, but they're disabled for period of time, sometimes permanently. The so-called assault rifle is particularly dangerous because it fires high velocity ammunition; the bullet will cause capitation when it hits flesh which destroys a much larger volume of tissue than you'd get from a subsonic bullet.

1. Charles 9

Re: Maybe a missed opportunity?

"So I'd grab that video feed and add a commentary to it -- this 'thing' that he's just shot was actually a person with a name, age and a biography."

I've watched enough crime documentaries to realize some nuts get off on that kind of stuff. Just yesterday I watched an episode of Forensic Files featuring a St. Louis serial killer. When a news reporter tried to do the exact bit you described for one of the victims, the killer wrote to the paper demanding another one. IOW, some killers LIKE intimacy with their victims.

16. Thekatman

Two things.

One reason houses of worship are targets for mass murder is that the entire congregation is facing the religious leader and no one is watching the front door. Most HOW shooters walk in through the front door. Have folks watch the front door and be armed and this hateful action might cease.

Second thing.... I find it ironic that a lot of posters on this thread are liberals and others have a poor opinion of America yet every one of us clicked on this clickbait piece to watch the video because the title of the piece indicates so.

Click here to see the New Zealand livestream mass-murder vid! This is the internet Facebook, YouTube, Twitter built!

Go figure, you hypocrites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I clicked it under the assumption that

A: titles mean dickey all here.

B: The Reg has a decent moral code.

I haven't read up on any of the other sites on this issue, can't even trust the BBC not to post far off gory pics.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It is obviously talking about how social media 'works', not offering it themselves (unlike, say, the Daily Heil). Regular readers will also note it's in the same format as other headlines about something fucked-up that social media has now normalised.

3. RancidOrange

You figured incorrectly, matey. I clicked because I knew the Reg wasn't going to be showing anything of the kind. You may find you are in the minority if you expected to watch said video.

4. Thekatman

Appreciate the comments.

Good day, sir!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

17. RobTub

Although the internet has come into people's lives pretty much devoid of precedence in terms of rules and regulations, it should be recognized that if a service is to generate revenue from a given country, the laws of that country must be adhered to. So far, this has never been done and the internet companies making money out of this unfettered access are doing it with the knowledge that they need to voluntarily put up the necessary resources to ensure laws of countries they have access to are adhered to.

A sizable portion of their profits are money that rightly should be spent on filtering their content and making them suitable for each country's consumption. It should be understood that freedom of expression/speech and rights of access differ from country to country. In one country, freedom of speech may include any thing from the filthiest to the responsible, whilst in another you have freedom of responsible, accountable speech. In one country, a person's rights may include the right not to respect anyone, whilst in another you have the right to responsible behavior from others. Thus, using the lame excuse that the internet should be kept free from any form of regulations is just an excuse to not be accountable for one's actions and to conveniently free oneself from having to moderate the service content to be in line with a country's established laws. And that, coincidentally, works wonders for the bottom line.

18. File Not Found

Quite right

Thanks for a good, solid, straightforward argument that sets it out simply. Just get this done, Fb and the rest of you....

19. Apprentice

Comments are turning into a political debate

The Register is all about technology news. I get the Facebook angle and all but this article has turned the comments section into a political debate that should be discussed elsewhere like Reddit.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Comments are turning into a political debate

It's a political problem, not a technological one, therefore all debates are inevitably going to turn political. It doesn't mean The Register shouldn't cover it, where else can you get a political/technological mix of comments?

Comparing hashes is ancient technology, YouTube has Content ID to recognise pieces of copyrighted video. Disabling sharing should be done already and in a world without lobbying probably would have already been done.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Comments are turning into a political debate

this article has turned the comments section into a political debate that should be discussed elsewhere like Reddit.

This article, like others on El Reg, has turned the comments section into an arena for sensible, rational and civilised political debate. And I don't have a problem with that, whether I agree with what anyone posts or not.

We could all do with a lot more of what we get here than what we so frequently get elsewhere.

So, whether it is, or should be, the place for political debate; I really don't care if it becomes that at times. I can always choose not to read the comments or participate as I feel fit.

20. Dan 55 Silver badge

Don't throw the book at them, throw the whole damn library at them

The social media companies that have allowed these videos to be spread should be fined in every country which has anti-terrorism laws.

The UK will probably end up do nothing apart from obtaining assurances which allow ministers to appear on the telly saying everything's under control, but I bet Germany's already preparing the case.

21. Big_Boomer Silver badge

It was obvious this was going to happen!

I said to my better half when Facebook introduced Live Streaming, that it would be used by a terrorist to stream atrocities within a year or 2, and I was wrong. It took 2 years and 2 months. This kind of access to an audience is too tempting to damaged scum like him, and it WILL get used again for this kind of thing as the supply of damaged scum is endless. The social media companies need to be held to account. If they propagate this kind of material then they should be fined every penny they earned from it x10. Then when they are losing money on this hate mongering shite, maybe they will put something in place to keep it off their systems. Any bets whether this instance will lead to a change in their policies? Or will it require another live streamed atrocity before they get off their arses and either drop all live streaming, or else find an effective way of policing it.

22. Wayland
    Trollface

"The simple fact is that the availability of such content, unchecked, is driving the problem."

No, the shooter played you and you fell for it.

Subscribe to PewDiePie is clearly just to trigger you leftie Californian fools into thinking that PewDiePie is some kind of NAZI radicalizing people to become right wing nut jobs.

It is further made obvious when he credits Candice Owns as one of his heroes.

His whole aim is not to kill 49 Muslims but to set the left against everyone who is not a leftie. It's clearly working well and would be very entertaining if it was not so dire for Free Speech.

1. sum_of_squares

Re: "The simple fact is that the availability of such content, unchecked, is driving the problem."

An interesting point of view.

Personally I doubt the guy thought so much about the potential reactions for different political groups, though. He despised a certain group of people and killed them, end of story.

People can be stupid an cruel, that's the world we're living in.

And raging against facebook or the media won't change a single thing.

My condolences to the families.

1. Charles 9

Re: "The simple fact is that the availability of such content, unchecked, is driving the problem."

But how do you keep the kooks from taking the rest of us (most of which aren't in a position to care) with them?

2. NonyaDB

"Personally I doubt the guy thought so much about the potential reactions for different political groups, though. He despised a certain group of people and killed them, end of story."

Oh he gave a LOT of thought about what his actions would do.

Read his "manifesto" - he explicitly says his actions were designed to sow chaos and he tells you exactly what he thinks of each political group. He wrote how he hates "conservatives", ANTIFA, muslims, etc.

The terrifying part is he is completely sane, even if his motivations are completely murderous.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'm very glad that El Reg did not post the shooter's name

I think we would have fewer of these "blaze of glory" idiots if the media did not mention their names during coverage. Let these various haters and nutcases go to the public oblivion they so richly deserve.

1. Charles 9

Re: I'm very glad that El Reg did not post the shooter's name

They'll just get more ostentatious until they FORCE you into publicizing them. They're willing to go MAD for their cause. How do you deal with someone like that, giving the mere act of taking them out could easily trigger more atrocity?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More ostentatious than fatally shooting 50 people at close range while livestreaming the attack? What extra level of ostentation is available? Dancing elephants and chorus girls?

1. Charles 9

How about 9/11? At some point, you either reply or get killed.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is open communication. In the 90s and early 2000s everyone was saying open communication would save us, bring new ideas to light while shining that same light onto the bad ideas. That we, the people, would be able to use arguments and good ideas to change minds and bring people closer together. The problem becomes is people refuse to change their minds, specially when others cannot or will not tell their own to their own ideas are wrong as well. Too many people willing to prove too many others right, seeing nothing wrong with horrible ideas just because of the people they come from. It's not hard to find evidence to back up any horrible ideals or conspiracies people come up with.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.2 million videos of the event were removed by Facebook and Twitter in the first 24 hours after the attack.

It's really like people do not understand the scale of our modern world. And you know if things were so automated to be able to pull down every single problem the same people demanding they do a better job would be screaming discrimination and censorship. You can't have it both ways.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Facebook?

"if things [at Facebook?] were so automated to be able to pull down every single problem the same people demanding they do a better job would be screaming discrimination and censorship. You can't have it both ways."

Really?

What do you think stops "high value commercial content (films, TV, live concerts, etc)" spreading like wildfire across Facebook (and elsewhere)?

The innate natural kindness of Mr Zuckerberg and his audience?

Or some other kind of encouragement, perhaps by the high value content media rights owners and their enforcers?

Whatever it is, if it works for them, why can't it work for the incident in question here?

YOU can't have it both ways. Only big business is allowed that privilege (at the moment).

1. Charles 9

Re: Facebook?

"What do you think stops "high value commercial content (films, TV, live concerts, etc)" spreading like wildfire across Facebook (and elsewhere)?"

They don't use Facebook. They use the Darknet and Torrents which are easier to use for larger files. And yes, they DO spread like wildfire in spite of God, Man, or Hollywood. Hell, many of them are hosted in countries hostile to Hollywood so tend to respond with the Finger. That's why they have to go after the downloaders--because the hosters are increasingly protected by hostile sovereignty.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like