back to article Facebook is abusive. It's time to divorce it

Every relationship has its rough edges, places where actions scrape, and through constant repetition, rub raw. Those tender spots can heal if left alone and if the parties are wiling to listen. But where the irritation continues, this raw spot becomes a wound that never closes, forcing a choice between continuing pain and a …

Page:

1. Aghios Vasilis tou Stalingrad

What's Facebook?

2. bencoiacetto

since the users of facebook give the platform its monumental value, the users of facebook are essentially working for facebook for free - unless you count being emotionally manipulated as some form of compensation. Whilst working for free they help FB erode the middle class / occupations in industries like health, education, amongst others. One example is translation.

I don't think one should delete their account though. Instead - be subversive - educate your 'friends' how much of a scam it really is, experiment with it etc.

1. Charles 9

And if they won't learn and they're too close to alienate (ex. How do you approach it if it's your MOTHER?)?

3. VulcanTourist

An ex- that just won't leave!

I divorced Facebook a long time ago, but still haven’t got him to leave. He hangs out on the porch swilling beer, refuses to pay child support, and never picks up a broom. He sneaks around the house and peeks in all the windows, trying to spot dirty laundry he can use to shame me. He calls my friends and family and gets them to pester me about unlocking the door again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proudly anti-social

But you guys are OK.

5. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

this is the best FB article Ive read in a long time

I agree totally.

Quit FB at the beginning of the year. Tired of the manufactured outrage, the manipulation of "news" and the explicitly allowed abuses that would not be corrected after hundreds of reports, while others nuked with a single complaint.

Blood pressure dropped significantly, and whether it's correlation or causality, maintained a consistent 7 pound weight loss since January. Serious.

the weird thing is people who are still FB addicts (and I use the term only semi humorously) look at me like Ive renounced my citizenship, or converted to Scientology or something.

And I can't see anything positive that I'm missing without FB connections.

1. Charles 9

Re: this is the best FB article Ive read in a long time

What about family whose ONLY connection to society is through Facebook because everything else costs money they can't afford (calls and SMS cost per, no e-mail, but FB free from the carrier)? And for some, cutting ties is not an option due to moral and social responsibility (a lot of the bespoke are Asians with very strong sense of family).

1. jake Silver badge

Chuck, if they can access fb they can use any number of free email providers. And if family is all that important, snail mail still works, just as it did during California's goldrush.

Stop being disingenuous just for the sake of argument. It's not becoming.

1. Charles 9

Snail mail costs money, e-mail requires Internet access, which costs money. Facebook for them is NOT through the Internet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Been Fun, But...

I joined Facebook in May 2008. It was fun at first, but as time went on, not so much.

In 2014, I was virtually held captive in front of my desktop/smartphone screen for hours and hours by this wacky user who forced me to solve every problem she had! It got to the point where she began harassing my spouse and we ended up getting a restraining order last summer!

As of now I am in the process of deleting FB from my life forever!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like