back to article London's Metropolitan Police arrest Julian Assange

Julian Assange has been arrested by London cops at the Ecuadorian Embassy after the nation revoked the asylum it had given him for nearly seven years. BREAKING: #Assange removed from embassy - video pic.twitter.com/qsHy7ZVPg5 — Ruptly (@Ruptly) April 11, 2019 The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) issued a statement this …

Page:

1. Tigra 07

Re: CrazyOldCatMan

She was evicted years back and left most of the cats. That's what kind of person she was. The back garden looked like a bomb site.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: In other news...

No chance! Mine recognised me after being away for 3 months!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Whenever a cat looks at you it's basically thinking "if I could master using a tin-opener for myself, then I would kill you where you stand"

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

if I could master using a tin-opener for myself

s/tin\-opener/'rip the top off the pouches'/* g

I wish the little dears would eat tinned food..

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Apparently cats forget the face of their owners

Given that cats seem to key more into the sound and scent[1] of their servants rather than their faces, this doesn't really surprise me. Lets not forget that cats are both scent *and* sight hunters - scent (and hearing) is used to get a coarse location and then sight is used for the final pounce.

[1] Our little ex-feral tortie will look at me like I'm a raging axe-murderer when I get home from work until I either speak to her or let her smell my hand. Then she relaxes and I get put back into the "provides food and warmth and occasional attention" category and she allows me to fuss her. Her brother does likewise.

4. Kiwi

Apparently cats forget the face of their owners in as little as 3 days anyway. Julian who?

It may be true that they forget the face... But I was away from one of mine for just on 3 years and she knew me when I got back. Had another leave home when I was about 6 or 7, it came back just after my 10th birthday and acter as if nothing had happened. These days I am often away on business for 4 or 5 days, yet the cats know me (including the neighbour's poor fearful abused little thing, just starting to become friendly to me despite her demanding it always runs from anyone not herself).

So they may forget the face, but they remember enough that it doesn't matter. [Grabs a fistful of fur from a friend's moggy who is also exceptionally scared of strangers, yet knows me well enough despite not having seen me for a couple of weeks]

1. Jove Bronze badge

... rumour has it that the cat is a field-trained CIA Agent and also the source for WikiLeaks believing that Asausage was being spied on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lets face it Michi is the true mastermind behind wikileaks. Assange has only ever been a sexually frustrated deviant puppet.

1. Jemma

Alias Mr. D. Trump Esq?

1. alain williams Silver badge

Does he yet have a ticket to the USA ?

This is what he was afraid of: the USA, somehow or another, finding a way of getting him over the pond. Once there he would likely spend a very long time in chokey, on some pretext of another. The real reason is that he embarrassed the USA by exposing things and some there want revenge.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Does he yet have a ticket to the USA ?

"This is what he was afraid of: the USA, somehow or another, finding a way of getting him over the pond."

In that case he shouldn't have done a runner when he was (a) out of reach of the US in Sweden and (b) when the US had a government with enough wit to realise that treating him as not worth attention was the biggest punishment they could impose.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@Doctor Syntax ... Re: Does he yet have a ticket to the USA ?

Huh?

First you need probable cause to convene a grand jury to indict him.

Then you need to get an extradition order to whatever country is after him. It takes time.

But lets focus on reality.

Assange is a smelly git who forced him on a couple of Swedish girls who in their country can cry rape because no means no. When they say no sex without a condom, and you don't have a condom, its rape.

When you try to wake your partner by performing intercourse... its rape because she wasn't awake to provide consent.

That's why he fled Sweden. And this all came out during his first extradition hearing. Had he done these acts in the UK, maybe one act would have been illegal in the UK, which is irrelevant because of the EAW treaty.

The whole US is after me thing... done to protect his image and because he is paranoid.

That said, the US could have been after him if they have evidence he was involved in the actual theft made by Manning. That would remove the shield he has for publishing the leaks.

In terms of being out of the US hands... in Sweden he was safe. In the UK he would have been safe. Its not until he broke the laws in those countries that he would force him back to Australia where they would have handed him over easily.

He did the runner because he didn't want to go to jail for rape.

The US was 'ignoring' him and still is for the most part. There is a rumor of a sealed Grand Jury indictment, but no official extradition request.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

This is what he was afraid of: the USA, somehow or another, finding a way of getting him over the pond.

I'm willing to donate some large rubber bands. I don't think the UK's made those illegal (yet).

1. Aladdin Sane

Are any of the more mathematically minded commentards able to calculate the required velocity and trajectory required to launch Mr Assange across the pond? Survivability is optional.

Please show your workings.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

@Aladdin

With luck he would burn up on re-entry.

1. Aladdin Sane

Considering the, let's call it "muzzle velocity" required, he'd probably burn up way before he reached the top of the atmosphere, assuming we're doing a sub-orbital lob.

2. the Jim bloke

more of an empirical type, would like to try a couple of test shots using different launch configurations.

The payload (JA) would probably require lots of duct tape and a locator beacon for retrieval after tests.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

"The real reason is that he embarrassed the USA by exposing things and some there want revenge."

with the current DOJ and President Trump _not_ wanting 'revenge', Assange is more likely to become a material witness for other investigations...

(it would be different if Mrs. Clinton had actually been elected)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bob, do you love Trump because you hate Clinton, or hate Clinton because you love Trump?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Happy

Oh Bob! The Quandary! https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images/5caf09f35ba09c1c01030622-640-638.jpg

4. CRConrad

I asked that in early 2018 too. Because in 2017 he tweeted that he'd go there if Manning was granted clemency.

Clemency, which means pardon or commutation, was then granted by President Obama in the form of commutation of Manning's sentence.

So if Julian Asshat hadn't been a fucktard liable to go back on his word, he should have bought himself a fucking ticket and hopped on the next plane to DC.

2. R J
    Angel

This is just what Assange needed

After all, he'll finally get some attention again. Poor guy, he's been irrelevant for so many years now

3. Mike Lewis

Not much sympathy

I lost sympathy for Assange when he went after Clinton which helped Trump get elected. Plus the whole cat thing.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Not much sympathy

I think it would be really interesting to hear Assange's side of the story, I suspect that he was just as manipulated by the Russians as the Trump campaign was - I don't think that either of them were deliberate criminals, they just stupidly seeking publicity, fame, wealth, and money under the table ... that's the way the West works and that's how we are manipulated.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

I suspect the downvote was for saying you'd like to hear Assange's side of the story. Otherwise I entirely agree - on balance, it's much more likely that Assange (and Trump) are simply stupid and greedy than they are Russian agents.

1. CRConrad

Those aren't necessarily opposites.

Some people voluntarily become agents based on greed; others let themselves be used as such because they're stupid enough to do so. In practice, they are agents too, albeit perhaps unwitting ones. The phenomenon didn't begin with Putin; the name "useful idiot" goes back to at least Lenin or Trotsky or some such. The phenomenon itself... I'm betting Julius Caesar was familiar with the idea. And probably Hammurabi too.

2. Mage Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: hear Assange's side of the story

We have, endlessly.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

"I suspect that he was just as manipulated by the Russians"

Him duped by the Russian? Without even sending a young female agent? I can't really believe it, sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meh. I have zero sympathy for Clinton.

If you read this email:-

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails//fileid/1120/251

Then you will note that the Clinton team knew that Clinton was deeply unpopular with the public, and thought that the only possibility of her winning was to put her up against republican "pied piper candidates" who were even less desirable than she was.

One of the Clinton campaigns choices for these "pied piper" candidates is a certain "Donald Trump", under which is a note that the press should be told to promote these people at the expense of the more moderate opposition, that would otherwise have won.

In my mind, this raises two really big issues.

1) How independent is the American independent media, if they are acting on instructions? The media being influenced and weaponised on instructions to this extent deserves an investigation on the scale of the Russian allegations.

2) The American election was rigged, by Clinton. And she then proceeded to lose the election, despite rigging it. Clinton is literally responsible for putting Trump into the Whitehouse. He was her choice of opposition.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"1) How independent is the American independent media, if they are acting on instructions? The media being influenced and weaponised on instructions to this extent deserves an investigation on the scale of the Russian allegations."

If they don't do as they are told, they stop getting invited to the press scrums at the Whitehouse.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>The American election was rigged, by Clinton

Oh dear, someone has forgotten their meds agin. Nurse!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"One of the Clinton campaigns choices for these "pied piper" candidates is a certain "Donald Trump", under which is a note that the press should be told to promote these people at the expense of the more moderate opposition, that would otherwise have won."

More moderate opposition what like "Jeb Bush. Ben Carson. Chris Christie. Ted Cruz. Carly Fiorina. Jim Gilmore. Lindsey Graham. Mike Huckabee. Bobby Jindal. John Kasich. George Pataki. Rand Paul. Rick Perry. Marco Rubio. Rick Santorum. Scott Walker."

they are all as fucking bad and some much worse than the orange twat

4. SundogUK Silver badge

So many down-votes when you even provide evidence...

5. Kiwi

I have to call bullshit on your post.

I have read your link.

For a start, there is no accreditation within the document itself, but I'll ignore that for now. Lets pretend it actually is real. I have handled a number of emails and other documents used in evidence (both internal business and also legal cases), and in every case the from, to and full headers are clearly visible yet strangely missing in this document (though that may not be strange for WL, it is the first time I have downloaded anything from them that I recall)

Then you will note that the Clinton team knew that Clinton was deeply unpopular with the public, and thought that the only possibility of her winning was to put her up against republican "pied piper candidates" who were even less desirable than she was.

While it is a given that any politician would generally be "deeply unpopular", there is no mention of HRC's popularity within the document you linked. There is talk of a strategy to make it easier for her to have won the election, but nothing relating to her popularity or lack thereof. The document does talk of forcing any of the other R candidates to side with the nastier members of their party, to paint themselves as siding with those dangerously conservative/right-wing nutjob types the document names.

One of the Clinton campaigns choices for these "pied piper" candidates is a certain "Donald Trump", under which is a note that the press should be told to promote these people at the expense of the more moderate opposition, that would otherwise have won.

Said note reads :"We need to be elevating the Pied Piper candidates so that they are leaders of the pack and tell the press to them seriously.[sic]. My guess is they meant "tell the press to take them seriously". Chump got in there, despite the press seeing him as a joke. Looking at the damage he is doing, the press should've taken note and seen him as a serious threat to the nation. They didn't; it appears they thought he was a joke candidate, a bit of a laugh.

1) How independent is the American independent media, if they are acting on instructions? The media being influenced and weaponised on instructions to this extent deserves an investigation on the scale of the Russian allegations.

The document doesn't support your assertation.

2) The American election was rigged, by Clinton. And she then proceeded to lose the election, despite rigging it. Clinton is literally responsible for putting Trump into the Whitehouse. He was her choice of opposition.

I fail to see how seeking to discredit the opposition by showing the nature of their bedmates is rigging an election. I do not see HRC's name on this document as an author, nor anything to suggest she is responsible for it, but even so - she did not nominate chump for the R candidate, she did not promote him although (her team may've pushed a few buttons to help get him in front of the media), so you've failed there as well.

FTR, I would believe that HRC is pure evil except for chump. If chump wasn't so good at being a disgusting evil person, I would have thought HRC was about as bad as it could possible get. chump has proven there is something even more evil than she is. I can't say for sure if she would've been better for this world than chump, but she certainly couldn't have been much worse.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clinton would have been more of a horrendous choice.

At least with Trump you know what you are dealing with, even if he is a lot of work.

Clinton would have been like all those before her, secretive, attention diverting, money grabbing, plutocratic dealing figure head who is the servant of the real power. Which is the highest bidder.

1. hammarbtyp

Clinton would have been like all those before her, secretive, attention diverting, money grabbing, plutocratic dealing figure head who is the servant of the real power. Which is the highest bidder.

and yet somehow you believe Trump is better...hope the weather is nice in your delusional fantasy world

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth
          WTF?

America is home to millions and millions of people. Of these teeming multitudes, a tiny minority want to be politicians and of these fewer yet actually have the aptitude and skills to do a decent job. Such are the initial numbers though that even when you filter by party allegiance, skill, intelligence, not being ugly as a warthog and all the other American political things, you're still left with thousands of people to choose from as presidential candidates.

And yet, out of these thousands it got winnowed down to Clinton and Trump.

Something is clearly very wrong with the political selection process if the epitome of presidential material in all of the USA is these two.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Same as the UK - least worst option. In Israel they want some who's being indicted for corruption as their leader.

Why anyone votes, I'll never know - they're effectively collaborators acting against the interests of society.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

The alternative is worse.

2. Mark 85

On the bright side, we wouldn't be bombarded with unlimited Tweets about how great she is, how persecuted she's been, how much everyone likes her, and ad nauseam ad infinitum.

1. Nunyabiznes

You are correct that it wouldn't be tweets. It would be "news" as reported by the majority of the MSM - exceptions being the other side's media hacks.

4. SundogUK Silver badge

Ignoring the 'cat thing', Assange didn't 'go after' Clinton. Wikileaks just received a data dump showing that she was a criminal, so they published it. Which is pretty much a definition of what Wikileaks is about.

4. Jove Bronze badge

Did they get the right guy? ...

... it looks more like a shrivelled Gandalf

1. cat_mara
      Devil

Re: Did they get the right guy? ...

My mate on WhatsApp just described him as "pedo Gandalf"

2. Jemma

Indicted for "pervy hobbit fancying" perhaps?

1. cat_mara
        Trollface

"I put on my robe and wizard hat"

2. KarMann Silver badge

Sam will kill him if he tries anything.

3. Danny 2

Sex with Pamela Anderson will age you a decade, and she visited often. Apparently the Ecuadoreans were CCTVing that and sold on the footage. More troublesome they were also recording his meetings with his lawyers. A Spanish gang tried to extort Wikileaks for €3 million, which is a ridiculous amount, but we could crowd-fund €300 for it.

1. Alister

Sex with Pamela Anderson will age you a decade

Has this been independently verified? Or do you have anecdotal evidence?

:)

1. Danny 2

I cite as evidence googled photographs of her previous lovers.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like