back to article Clutching at its Perl 6, developer community ponders language name with less baggage

Earlier this month, Elizabeth Mattijsen, a Dutch software developer and contributor to the open-source Perl programming language, opened an issue in the GitHub Perl 6 repository seeking to rename the project because having "Perl" in the name is "confusing and irritating." To understand why that's so, it's necessary to know a …

Page:

1. Sampler
    Coat

GIMP, now Perl...

..wha'ts next, they're finally going to rename .jif to get everyone to pronounce it right...

1. Jove Bronze badge

Re: GIMP, now Perl...

git? Now that IS non-PC.

Now I realize non-UK users might be a little confused about that, but what the heck.

1. hplasm
        Meh

Re: GIMP, now Perl...

No - I'm not buying a new Jraphics card to display them on!

2. el kabong

either .jif or .ghif

I'd pick .ghif if I had to. Fortunately no one is forcing me to pick that garbage so I pick neither.

3. Mage Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: GIF vs JIF

I was amazed when I read about the alleged "jif". I still think the J is a leg pull. Also in many languages the initial J was an I, so pronounced sort of Y. Some languages don't even have a J sound!

Surely it's Graphics Interchange Format, so G as in gravy or graft, not J in as in Gillian!

1. Baldrickk

I say Gillian with a G...

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Why do some people believe etymology determines pronunciation? That's as unreliable a rule for English words as you could hope to find.

As has been widely documented, Steve Wilhite, who invented the format, has always pronounced it with a soft "G" as a pun on the name of JIF brand peanut butter. That's at least as strong an argument for the soft-G pronunciation as any of the (mostly spurious) ones for the hard-G one.

Ultimately, of course, it doesn't fucking matter, because the dominant pronunciation will be determined by use, and both forms are recognizable to pretty much the same audience.

3. el kabong

G as in Gift

Why should it be otherwise?

4. Orv Silver badge

Surely it's Graphics Interchange Format, so G as in gravy or graft, not J in as in Gillian!

I assume, then, that you pronounce CMOS with a hard C, and IMAP with a short I?

1. jake Silver badge

"I assume, then, that you pronounce CMOS with a hard C, and IMAP with a short I?"

Of course. Don't you? What are you, some kind of weirdo?

Also, Gigabyte is pronounced with a soft G, as the root is the same word as that of Gigantic. Doc Brown got it right, in spite of the ignorance of the script writers ...

Shall we discuss rooter/rawter while we are at it?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Oyster?

Just a suggestion.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Coat

Re: Oyster?

And then please call the programmers association the Blue Cult.

1. Afernie

They ARE the ones we warned them of!

2. Ken Shabby
      Holmes

Rocky Mountain/Prairie type?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

In my 25 years in IT I learnt at least one thing.

Never, never let developers choose product names.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: In my 25 years in IT I learnt at least one thing.

Quite right too, far better to leave it to the professionals.

2. trolleybus

Correct.

Burroughs used to have a 4GL called Linc. In the early days it had no graphical development environment, everything was specified via text files.Then a colleague of mine developed a way to graphically describe LINC components. He called it Direct Input of Linc Definitions Online. And sold it to several companies.

Marketing weren't too impressed.

1. el kabong

But did it sell?

His product is still on sale in many places, I just checked, google has lots of links to stores where you can buy it. I'd say it is a success, selling well is what matters.

2. ArrZarr Silver badge
        Devil

You should always let developers name products.

Marketing or Management will give it some bland name that everybody will forget after ten minutes.

Everybody who reads your comment and gets the name will remember it all day.

3. Korev Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Too true

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Priceless!

New keyboard please

2. J 3
        Facepalm

Ha! Dammit. I never read it as you did, but now I can't un-see it!

Maybe because of the previous programs UCLUST (for clustering) and USEARCH (for searching), I have always read the name of this one U-PARSE... (all very powerful and popular bioinformatics programs, by the way)

1. Ken Shabby
          Pint

Maybe not what you might think, but fairly weird, or maybe useful for certain professions

UPASS

4. Guus Leeuw

Dear Sir,

why are you throwing Gimp / Glimpse in to the mix here? The issues of Perl 5 / Perl 6 are vastly different than those from Gimp / Glimpse.

You gimp!

Best regards,

Guus

5. Korev Silver badge
    Stop

Female names

Her preference would be to rename it "the Camelia Programming Language,"

Please don't call it that, searching for female names can be quite "dangerous" from the office.

1. VinceH
      Facepalm

Re: Female names

A slightly less silly reason not to call it "the Camelia Programming Language" is that if it is called that, you can be absolutely certain that some dolt will start abbreviating it to CPL. If the reason this name change has been suggested is to avoid confusing it with another version of Perl, making it possible to confuse it with another language altogether seems a bit silly.

1. Jove Bronze badge

"A slightly less silly reason not to call it "the Camelia Programming Language" is that if it is called that, you can be absolutely certain that some dolt will start abbreviating it to CPL"

... or even CamP.

2. Jove Bronze badge

"Please don't call it that, searching for female names can be quite "dangerous" from the office."

Well you already have that problem, because everyone knows that "Perl's a singer".

1. Ken Shabby

Clamydia

6. sum_of_squares
    Angel

While Larry -Wall is one of the greatest guys ever, I always though of Ruby as a new version of Perl.

The creator of Ruby even admitted that the Name "Ruby" was inspired by "Perl", because apparently in the japanese culture each month has a Crystal (again, no computer-language pun intended) with the Ruby month being the successor of the Perl month. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the details, I have only very limited knowledge of the japanese culture!

<(_ _)>

Ruby has a lot of Perl idioms: like $pecial symbols, built-in r/egexes/, `backticks`, optional parentheses and so on.

And of course both are related to Tim Towtdis philosophy: "there are many - and preferably many - ways to do it".

Wait, I'm not telling you to use Ruby instead of Perl. I want people to stay curious and use whatever they want. Ruby is an amazing language but so is Perl.

..FIVE

;-)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Getting rid of support for backticks, copied at one point slavishly from perl/shell, was one of the best revisions Python ever made.

1. RichardBarrell

Python 2 has a backticks feature, but all it ever did was call repr(). It never invoked a command in a shell like backticks do in bash, Perl or Ruby.

In Python 3 the backticks feature was taken out because it's so rarely used that most Python users didn't know it exists - and the thing it did wasn't particularly useful, and it was kinda confusing anyway. You can just type repr(), it's only 4 more bytes. :)

1. Orv Silver badge

Javascript has backticks, but they designate template literals, which are really just strings with variable substitution -- like double quotes in shell.

2. sum_of_squares
        Pirate

Oh welp, I found them incredibly useful for scripting:

puts "There are #{ `awk -F ':' '{print $1}' /etc/passwd | grep -v 'sys'`.split.size } lusers on this machine.."

Notice how well it interacts with Ruby ("split" and "size" being ruby methods).

Time to step up your Command Line Fu, sempai?

7. MacroRodent
    Happy

Just use Perl for what it was intended for

Perl is the most hated programming language.

I suppose you can come to hate it if you misapply it. The mistake here is using it for any large projects. But it is perfect for small scripts, argument modifying wrappers for commands, mangling text from one format to another, and the like. Most of the features you need are built-ins (usually no need to require tons of modules), no boilerplate and grandiose declarations are needed. As they say, Perl is the Swiss Army Chainsaw.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just use Perl for what it was intended for

Indeed.

My recall of Perl 5 was it was fast for an interpreted language and with all CPAN, powerful enough to build a full compute jobs queuing system, with a lot of feature. You had syscalls for low-level stuff and everything else, unlike all the rest of interpreted languages. And we needed flexibility, so compiled lang were out of question.

This turned out very well, and since it was only 200ish lines per agent, and I'd stay clear from the dark arts of regexpr and friends, still maintenable.

I only learnt in this article that Perl 6 was another language actually. So, yes, shouldn't even have been called Perl at all ! Time for its own name.

As for Java/JS/Perl comparison, to me, a language (java) which never was compiled nor interpreted, instead mixing the worst of both worlds, has always been non sense.

And, JS /SPIT

So, end of the day, Perl 5 is better than those 2. The hate has to come from Perl 6 incompatibility with 5.

Oh, for people comparing 5->6 with the very ol 4->5 evolution, there is no comparison. 4's scope was minimal (quick scriptie) while 5 was a full blown thing. 6 should have been compatible with 5.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>You had syscalls for low-level stuff and everything else, unlike all the rest of interpreted languages.

ruby -e 'syscall 1, 0, "u sure?\n", 8'

2. Orv Silver badge

I think it's important to remember that before Perl, people were writing CGI scripts in TCL, LISP, or even C. An easy-to-write procedural language with good string handling scratched a lot of itches on the early web.

1. unimaginative

C for CGI scripts is probably not a great choice.

Lisp, I am not sure, but depending on the dialect it might be OK.

What is/was wrong with TCL? Good at string processing (like Perl) and a lot more readable.

1. MacroRodent

> What is/was wrong with TCL? Good at string processing (like Perl) and a lot more readable.

Maybe because it was primarily "marketed" as an embeddable extension language. The package always came (and comes, it has not disappeared) also with a stand-alone interpreter, which is nice for exploring (and with tck/tk you can make a gui program with just a few lines). One of my favourite programs is tkdiff, a GUI file comparing and merging tool. Old but still works great. Just 9739 lines of clearly laid out tcl/tk, which is amazingly low considering its functionality.

(But I disagree a bit about readability. Tcl has very few syntactic niceties. It is a like LISP but without the parentheses. On the other hand, that makes it far more consistent than Perl).

2. Trixr

Yep, I am not a programmer, and I was using Perl from the late 90s onwards to do Windows scripting because I could not get my head around vbs (vbs was useless with regexes, hashtables/"dictionaries" are just awful, etc).

Perl had Win32, ldap and smtp modules, which meant I had simple means of doing 95% of my work with no fuss. The O'Reilly books were great. For the other 5% of stuff I couldn't figure out readily, sites like Perlmonks were excellent for giving good advice with very little "RTFM n00b" smackdowns, and I found the obfuscation and poetry parts pretty amusing (since, hello, you're not supposed to do that kind of stupidity in real code).

8. entfe001
    Trollface

Name it The programming language formerly known as Perl

1. MiguelC Silver badge
      Coat

What, no Perly McPerlFace?

1. Ken Shabby
    2. alisonken1
      Happy

Do I detect a 70's/80's reference to an artist who was fond of purple?

Yes, dating myself as well :)

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Comparison with Python isn't really fair

Yes, the move from Python 2 to Python 3 was botched but the changes in the syntax were minimal. They were still enough to cause problems and more work than should have been necessary to migrate but the core developers did at one point take the blame and do something about it. Now, with Python 2's EOL rapidly approaching the vast majority of projects should be okay. Some, of course, will continue to Python 2.7 (I know of some places still using Python 1.5) but these are large legacy systems with no access to the internet, so security aspects are minimal. But basically there was never really much of a discussion of 2 versus 3, but more one of "why should I invest the resources to switch?" and it took a while for answers in the form of features and perfomance to appear.

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Comparison with Python isn't really fair

Mostly it was a chicken-and-egg problem, where no one wanted to switch until all the libraries they used were ported.

Even now a lot of Python code just comes with a make script to transpile from 3 to 2 or vice versa, which is kind of an ugly hack.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Comparison with Python isn't really fair

The library issue was a key problem, which is why the PSF sponsored some ports, but even then adoption was hindered for a long time (until Python 3.5) because Python 3 used more memory and was slower for many things and didn't offer anything new. That was never going to help overcome software maintenance inertia.

But I think that, in the end, we learned from the experience as can be evinced by the vastly improved release process.

I personally don't know of many libraries that transpile, though I'm sure there are some. For most developers without C-extensions six or something similar and universal support for u'' and b'' prefixes was enough. Certainly less work than, say, switching from unittest to pytest.

10. coconuthead

same mistake in the new name

Apparently they can't spell "camellia" any more than they could "pearl".

At least "perl" was an acronym, even if all lower-case in some kind of flower-power-era rebelliousness. (By the way, many English speakers from outside the US would naturally pronounce "perl" to rhyme with "peril" if they didn't already know what it was.)

Perhaps stick with "perl++" as suggested by several commenters in the linked blog entry. That will make the pedigree, such as it is, immediately obvious.

1. Jove Bronze badge

Re: same mistake in the new name

Ah, but Perl was Pearl.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like