back to article Microsoft says Google trying to undermine Windows Phone

Microsoft has admitted that Windows Phone 8 doesn't work as well with some of the internet's most popular properties as do other smartphone platforms, but it has pinned the blame on a surprising culprit: apparently, it's all Google's fault. In a blog post on Wednesday, Microsoft VP and deputy general counsel Dave Heiner said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. revdjenk

Re: Stages of competition

@RyokuMas

um, the win isn't for Microsoft... ahem.

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Who cares about Google?

Yeah, I need more fluent Google access for movies on my WinPhone, that's the real deal breaker. The fact that you still can't do something as trivial as syncing todo items between your phone and Outlook is obviously totally unimportant.

What have those MS guys been smoking?

2. BitDr

Three words for MS

Corel Word Perfect

MS allegedly screwed Corel when they were trying to port Word Perfect to Windows 98, not a nice feeling is it MS? Of course nothing has been proven in either instance, it's all allegations and such, but eventually things will work out, and perhaps the phrase "reap what you sow" will become associated with one of the two.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Three words for MS

So because of a random accusation, about something which may have happend 15 years ago, which is easy to believe, but I didn't find any references for on a quick internet search, you are happy for Google to throw around their monopoly status?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Three words for MS

What goes around, comes around, baby it's called karma.

Of course, letting nincompoops (note the plural) take charge hastens the inevitable decline.

3. rcorrect
    WTF?

How many of Microsoft's applications work on other platforms? Not a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They often don't even work under Windows itself..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to port Internet Explorer to Linux and other non-Windows mobile browsers.

I'm sure it'll be a great hit. *snickers*

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Indeed

Yes, because IE will never, ever run under Linux…

http://www.longlandclan.yi.org/~stuartl/images_tmp/ie-linux.png

4. Andrew Jones 2

Is there actually a law that says that YouTube must enable access to whatever it is that Microsoft claims they don't have access to? Can I complain that ITV Player is not yet available on my Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorder box despite being available for the Humax Freeview+ HD recorder box for example? Because... I'm pretty sure I can't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Andrew...

Yes, there are lots of laws that specify fair trading and honest dealing. This includes not singling out competitors for special treatment, be that giving some an advantage or others a disadvantage, upon the whim of the CEO. This is particularly important when there is such a large share of the market controlled by, in this case Google.

The difference between your Panasonic Freeview player is that Panasonic are the people who chose not to include the ITV Player on it. This may have been because of complexity of the software, that Panasonic couldn't get it ready for ship date, because they didn't want to put the datalinks and servers in to handle the ITV traffic, or just because they didn't think there was much demand. (Although it's possible that it's not production yet, so ITV are limiting to a speciic manufacturer for pre-prod testing) No-one is suggesting that one of the Freeview companies is actively preventing another from having their production services.

5. tuxtester

Microsoft should take the first step

If Microsoft want Google to spend time and money building a product for Microsoft's own competing operating system, then perhaps Microsoft should take the first step and create a version of their software for Android or ChromeOS. I.e IE, Office ... erm ... does Microsoft have anything else?

Why would Google spend time and money on an application that is going to be used by very few Microsoft mobile device users.

If Microsoft want more people to use their mobile devices, they should cover them in cheese, the yanks will lap them up!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft should take the first step

What, you mean like SkyDrive...

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Microsoft should take the first step

"they should cover them in cheese"

Trust me, bacon works way better!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's the shoe feel on the other foot M$?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We need a new icon

ATTENTION REGISTER PEOPLE:

We need a new icon: "World's smallest fiddle, and it's playing just for you."

1. Tyrion

Re: We need a new icon

I second that sir.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interestingly...

Google don't block these services for xbox's youtube app. They don't block Apple's iPhone. This suggests that they don't want anyone who is in search and advertising to release a competing phone.

Are they worried about the WP competing with Android? Are they worried about losing advertising or search revenue?

By all accounts MS have an app ready to go, they just need Google to give them the metadata. Why won't they?

9. Carling
    Linux

Freedom of choice

Microsoft complaining about Googles anti competitive practices. That's got to be the joke of the 20th century. Microsoft are you listening. What about being forced into having windows on every computer sold over the last 30 years, what about Netscape you forced out of business,

What about locking out every operating system and software with your UEFI, You still have not given Linux Foundation a signed digital key, so that users can dump windows 8 and install what ever operating system and software they want,

Consumers still can't buy a desktop or laptop in the States without windows 8 being installed on it, ( I tried ) If that's not anti competitive I don't know what is, On top of that Microsoft are planing charging windows 8 users an annual $99.00 end users license fee for using office after they have bought it,

Microsoft are you listening the fight for Freedom will never stop, freedom always wins in the end

1. Snake Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Freedom of choice

So, therefore, what you are saying is that other major players in a modern marketplace can all have a chance to act irresponsibly, because one player got the opportunity to do so?

Is that what you're saying?

2. EvilGav 1
      Thumb Down

MS have given them a key, there seems to be some issue on one end or other over what data has been provided as there is some issue with the key.

But, here's the important bit, MS are under no obligation to do this anyway - if you want a key you should be paying money to the UEFI foundation/association/whatever and having it included, not having a side-signed key by MS do the work for you.

Also, UEFI is a hardware technology and it *must* be possible to turn it off. So, what is the lack of key actually stopping anyone doing?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't recall my MacBook coming with Windows… Broadcom 802.11N issues not withstanding it runs Linux pretty well too.

My Lemote Yeeloong came with Debian if I remember correctly.

So there's two machines which are sold in the US without Windows.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nevertheless, switching off Google Sync looks suspicious

Even if it really was a pure technical/internal decision, Google should be all too aware by now that appearances matter a great deal. If it walks like an anti-competitive move, talks like an anti competitive move and smells like an anti competitive move, then it will likely attract the wrong kind of attention.

1. eulampios

Re: Nevertheless, switching off Google Sync looks suspicious

Switching off the proprietary protocol Google is paying for is an anticompetitive move? Are you saying that gnu/linux, Android, *BSD are all anticompetitive switching a few people off the Windows OS?

As far as they are not delivering their software for our OS complaints are concerned, how many of MS' own products exist for GNU/Linux or *BSD?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nevertheless, switching off Google Sync looks suspicious

Err...

Services for UNIX

Linux kernel support for virtualisation

Linux support in their cloud computing

All their web services work on FOSS browsers

Skydrive has Android support

xbox glass (or whatever it's called) is supported on Android

They sign bootloaders for Linux distros who want it.

1. eulampios
          Windows

services for unix

Okay, so you're dumping everything that has a word "*nix" in one pile? Why not adding TCP/IP stack that MS *borrowed* from BSD?

Services for Unix ran on Windows (pretty half-assed, most of people would run cygwin for the same purpose anyways)

As far as providing signatures for secure Boot, your statement is pretty far-fetched, another matter who are MS to give or not to give the keys? Why is it not an OEM, for example.

In the meantime, think about IE, Outllook, MS Office, Power Shell, Visual Studio, Silverlight etc

11. Tyrion
    FAIL

I heard..

Nelson Muntz has something to say to you Microsoft:

HA HA!

12. Madboater

MS have a point

All they need to do is make their products available on all OS' s despite market share to show Google how it is done.

13. mrmond

Horrible Youtube app

I can't stand the android app myself. It doesn't always show the channels I'm subscribed to. Trying to read or add comments is badly integrated and too many videos are prevented from being viewed on a mobile app (pretty retarded as Google own Youtube and make the damn app!)

My solution is to open up Firefox and watch the video there, which lets me resize the video how I want and watch in a variety of resolutions depending on bandwidth instead of just HD or SD.

Microsoft complaining about having to use a cludged browser version ? It works better in my experience.

1. LosD
      FAIL

Re: Horrible Youtube app

"and too many videos are prevented from being viewed on a mobile app (pretty retarded as Google own Youtube and make the damn app!)"

- But it is not Google's own YouTube that made the video, and those who did has the right to set the flag that disallows viewing the video on a mobile device.

14. Dunhill

if i buy a product that does not function the way i want it, i will change it for something that does what i want

what can be software/device and/or brand

so if youtube is so important use a device that does the job

15. rogerpjr
    Flame

OH NO!!!! Wait... They actually aren't.. But evil only exists in the minds of the evil... Remember OS\2 ?

What you (MicroSoft ) did to IBM, now THAT was undermining an OS... I mean you actually BROKE your OWN OS ( API's ) to the eggregious detriment of OS\2. Oh... And all the other programs running under your pathetically pitiful WIN 95 whitewash over command prompt based OS.

What GOOGLE is doing is LEGIT...

Microsoft, take some QUIET TIME.... LEARN TO PROGRAM a decent OS.

BY the way who has sympathy for a company that THREATS NON-PROFITs like the Linux OSes.. And then collects over the years BILLIONS from them... NON-PROFITS...

IT's KARMA-TIME against Microsoft... 'Bout time, I'd say..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Karma

Err… what's this OS\2 you write of? Obviously not OS/2. Otherwise you'd have the slash around the right way.

16. SmartphoneDesigner

Learn From What They Do Not What They Say

OK, let's turn the clock back a fair way.

In 2000/2001 Microsoft started work on an MS Smartphone with a mobile phone manufacturer.

That was TWELVE years ago ... an eternity in high tech.

So do we see Windows Smartphones on every desk or in every home? I think not.

That might be telling us something ...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I sense great turbulence in Redmond

Microsoft must be filled with fear and loathing towards Google these days.

Let me count thy ways:

1) Bing It On

2) Gmail Man

3) Scroogled

4) #DroidRage

5) Googlighting Stranger

6) That petulant hissy fit over FTC's ruling for Google.

7) Moaning about Google Maps not working properly on Windows phones.

Microsoft will soon become the next IBM or Kodak. I'm glad it is happening within my lifetime.

The schadenfreude is exhilarating.

18. Wardy01
    Unhappy

My 2 pence worth

Fair enough it is a bit pot and kettle but ...

Google are basically becoming what M$ once was "too big for fairness".

Google has made no attempt to hide the fact that it plans to muscle in on M$'s core product offerings so it should expect a fight.

M$ have the right to complain about stuff that cost them billions in court, taking this approach saves them having to sue google as the complaint could likely result in oversight committee action.

I currently have an android phone (Galaxy S3) which i'm told is one of the best android devices on the market and I hate it. Every Android update results in really basic stuff having problems ... my current issue is that the phone seems to think poor signal is a good thing and actively seeks it out then randomly restarts.

I'm tempted to start using my old winpho ... that got the basics right at least and I could be fairly sure an update wouldn't kill it.

All this crap about linux is irrelevant ... if you hate M$ that much don't buy their products, linux IMO is hard work, I need a trail of 500 different dependencies that don't work together unless you install 500 different versions of each because each dependency is built to work against a specific version of its own dependencies.

I found that what I do in 5 minutes at work on windows takes me hours in Linux which often requires tons of typing stuff in to command lines where as my windows box I can often run a little wizard or something and the system will do it for me.

Linux users bang on about M$ "bloat" ... it's very rare that you find a "small linux distro" that doesn't automatically throw about 10GB of "extra stuff" on your machine most of which you then have to spend hours removing.

Ubuntu is regularly praised as being the god like version these days, copying the ISO direct from ubuntu servers and burning to a disk then trying a default install does not work on my PC, it falls over as soon as i click "install" on the boot menu unless I use some magic command line option I spent hours trying to find the first time i installed it, which from what I can tell basically tells linux that I have a hard drive ... WTF linux !!

My point being ... M$ get stuff wrong ... fair enough but Linux isn't perfect, nor is Google and people regularly hold M$'s 20+ year learning curve against them, and the fact of the matter is that M$ core staff is very different to the staff it had back them ... some of which have been famously poached from the likes of Google / Apple.

I have never worked for a company that doesn't have a single M$ product ... the reason being that M$ work, they get the job done ... no matter what you might think there is a reason M$ is not bankrupt and it's simply that people want their products.

Isn't it about time people moved on and let them play the game that every other company has been playing for years against them despite the pot and kettle element?

Surely this is a huge sign that M$ may have indeed learnt some core lessons?

Ok Begin the trolling ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like