back to article Scotch eggs ascend to the 'substantial meal' pantheon as means to pop to pub for a pint during pernicious pandemic

Ideally, government regulations should not be open to interpretation, but the UK's wishy-washy response to the coronavirus pandemic has only left people scratching their heads – or, worse, thinking of ways they can bend the rules. Is it 2m social distancing, or 1.5? Is it stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS, or hands, …

Page:

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Ministers...eh

For the benefit of younger readers, 2s 6d...

Don't give Rees-Mogg ideas - he'll wind back the clock to pre-decimalisation

1. Huw D

A friend of mine came up with this suggestion.

Starter: Scotch Egg

Main: Oeuf a l'Ecosse

Dessert: Och Aye The Nougat.

Now would madam care to see the Drinks Menu?

1. Danny 2

Re: A friend of mine came up with this suggestion.

Hey you Huw!

Scotch eggs are not Scottish nor named due to Scotland. Maybe if you cover them in chocolate and deep-fry them, but so far nothing to do with us.

And for the first posters here complaining about 'the Government response', health is a devolved matter so there have been four government responses. Scots seem to appreciate the Scottish Government response so far. Yesterday they gave £500 to all health and care workers, plus £100 to any family that gets school meals, plus free breakfasts for all school kids to go with their free lunches after the election. And we didn't even need a footballer to intervene.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it's easy when it's someone else's money.

1. Danny 2

It's not borrowed, it's out of the existing budget so will mean cuts elsewhere. I personally think it's too little and suggested here months ago the same £29 daily bonus that soldiers get when in a warzone.

It appears that the English government is insisting on taxing the bonus so the poorest workers will only get £123 - it's complicated but the headline optics of that is terrible for the Tories.

2. Huw D

@Danny 2. I'm just quoting my friend, who was playing on the common misunderstanding.

2. scrubber

Protect the NHS

I sure am glad the Germans didn't win the war; all these instructions might have been in German.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is it 2m social distancing, or 1.5?

Is there a Reg Standard for 1.5m?

To recap, the official 2m Social Distancing measure is The Osman...

https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/27/reg_standards_soviet_social_distancing_measure/

Or, against the standard, those in the South West were encouraged to adopt the Basil Fawlty by the local council

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/07/basil_fawlty_social_distancing_measure/

Paris - a tad over at 1.73m. Nonetheless, a handy ready reckoner

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Coat

Can't use Paris to measure social distancing

She has an annoying habit of getting too close... some might say clingy.

Mine's the one with an emergency substantial meal in the pocket.

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Just a Thought

Does the House of Commons' bar serve an alcoholic drink without a substantial meal? They have form for "Do as I say, not ... "

1. GlenP Silver badge

Re: Just a Thought

Reportedly the bars are not serving any alcohol, even with a meal.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just a Thought

You refer to "the House of Commons' bar" as if there is only one. Apparently there are nine bars, nineteen restaurants/cafes and a coffee bar in the whole of Parliament. I'm not sure if all of them are open to MPs, or if any are serving alcohol, with or without subsantial meals.

Yes, they are all subsidised by the taxpayer.

5. Claverhouse Silver badge

I doubt I could eat that slice of a 22" pizza anyway [ which links to a Metro article ], even if it were vegan. Possibly like all else our portion sizes are changing to the American mode.

However, speaking of Yankee modes, and the Quest for Freedom!™, the Metro linked to this heart-warming bridal article of a Kazakhstani chap marrying his sex-doll. Eventually no-one and no-thing shall be off-limits for the sacramental state.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/01/bodybuilder-marries-sex-doll-after-two-years-of-dating-13681356/

'I like the process of sex itself. And gender, sexual orientation are not particularly important here,’ he explained.'

6. Big_Boomer Silver badge

I'm bored of the whining about pubs.

No, not Wining, Whining!

"Oh but I want to cuddle 160 people and their viruses so why can't I go somewhere public, get drunk (so I forget all about masks and hand cleaning and social distancing) and get my dose of virus soup? It's not fair. It's a government conspiracy against right thinking pissheads everywhere. QAnal are right, they want to restrict our freedoms and closing the pubs early is just the first step. Next they'll want to limit us to Diet Beer and Wine-Light, and oh I just don't know what the world is coming to these days"

Me I say let the virus sort the idiots out. They will love it, and in the longer term it will improve the species considerably. Win-Win!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm bored of the whining about pubs.

I don't think it'll have much effect on the future intelligence of the species, as those it kills are mostly past reproductive age. I do wonder how different the typical idiot response would be if it had a serious chance of helping them to evolve out. I suspect many of them would be more careful, to make sure there are plenty like them in the future.

2. Danny 2

Re: I'm bored of the whining about pubs.

"let the virus sort the idiots out. They will love it"

It is slightly tempting to add to the insane vaccine conspiracy theories, just to ensure the initially limited number of vaccines go to sensible people.

(I heard the chips they are injecting into you aren't capable of running Windows 10. )

7. You aint sin me, roit
    Devil

Splodgenessabounds...

Two pints of lager and a Scotch egg please.

8. Potemkine! Silver badge

What I don't get about this rule is that this study shows that restaurants are COVID hotspots, and the longer you stay in, the riskier it is. So what's the point to make people eat in pubs?

Following a safety logic, as long as vaccines are not massively available, restaurants and bars should stay closed.

9. Slickwilly

These attempts to "bend the rules" to get served seems to be the British variant of my US compatriots who insist that they have the "freedumb" to catch the virus if they so please - thus ranking the freedom to do whatever they please above any kind of solidarity which is required to control the virus. Only problem is the virus fails to distinguish between any human's point of view - and as we see in the US does not lend itself well to "politicization". It seems clear that so long as no broad vaccine is available, contact needs to be minimized and probably restaurants and bars need to be closed (as they have been the last month in my residence in Germany, where at least the growing infection trend has been reversed, if at a high level of cases). Sure this is painful for all involved, more for the proprietors livelihoods (the gov't needs to financially support) and less for the customers - but its what's needed to avoid having the restrictions drawn out over a longer period with associated higher loss of lives, not to mention straining the ICU capacity of hospitals.

10. John Sturdy
    Happy

It's all relative

Surely whether a particular meal is substantial is relative to how substantial the person eating it is? Or, as Miss Piggy said, "Never eat more than you can lift."

11. Mr Dogshit

World-beating!

Are these substantial meals oven ready?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like