back to article Google screwed rivals to protect monopoly, says Uncle Sam in antitrust lawsuit: We go inside the Sherman parked on a Silicon Valley lawn

The US Department of Justice has launched its long-awaited antitrust action against Google, accusing the tech giant of unlawfully protecting its search monopoly through “anti-competitive and exclusionary practices.” The action doesn't explicitly mention breaking up Google, but does ask for "structural relief as needed to cure …

Page:

1. GrumpenKraut

Last time I tried voting with my feet I was shouted at. "What's WRONG with you? Use the pen!"

People also looked funny at me.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Substitute the words "Google Search" for "Microsoft Office", or "Adobe Photoshop". Then read same paragraphs back. What Google have done to stifle competition in search is no less than what MS and Adobe have done for Office applications or Graphics.

After all, the college round the corner from me offers plenty of Photoshop for Beginners, or Excel for Beginners courses. Not "image editing" for beginners or "spreadsheets" for beginners.

Google wields enormous power; because it's search engine usually gets you to what you actually want very quickly. Rarely have as much success with any other engine. Is it using that power to actively attack other search engines? No. Build a better engine than google, and I'll be there in a flash.

2. Gerlad Dreisewerd

Rivals?

So how does the chocolate factory explain their jihad against Gab other than the fact it's not Twitter? This implies measurable collusion in the tech country club.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Rivals?

Gab? You mean the outfit that is so far to the right that it accepts with open arms folks who even the Republicans throw out as hateful? The gab that still allows the people who doxxed and sent death threats to the co-founder of the service's wife? That gab?

Somehow I rather suspect it doesn't have anything to do with collusion, but rather that tech companies in general don't like shit on their shoes any more than most of the rest of us do.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a coincidence?

Jus a coincidence that Google and Farcebook have recently decided to massively increase their "free speech" by "speaking" with Belters via cash (lobbying.)

Classic Washington shakedown, "talk" more to the belters and suddenly the AG backs down and Congress leaves 230 intact.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like