back to article Nvidia to acquire Arm for $40bn, promises to keep its licensing business alive

Nvidia has announced it will buy UK chip-designer Arm. A Monday statement from Nvidia and Arm’s current owner SoftBank says the transaction will be valued at $40bn. Nvidia is not buying Arm's Internet-of-Things services, we note. Arm will remain headquartered in the UK and its brand and business model will persist. Arm, which …

Page:

1. Doogie Howser MD

"Someday, trillions of computers running AI will create a new internet"

Meaning even more bilious shite on Twitter.

2. devTrail

AntiTrust

Such a deal should be clearly unacceptable for any anti-trust authority in the world. How come they came up with such a deal? Not only the sector is very restricted to few companies, but ARM licences their technologies to almost all NVidia competitors in the smartphone segment. Considering smartphones, tablets and other gadgets Nvidia is buying the possibility to hold by the balls the competition in a market where more than one billion chips are sold every year. Of course they now promise they'll keep licensing their technology to al the others, but nobody prevents them from transferring the most advanced research to the mother company and let ARM slowly fate into obsolescence

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: AntiTrust

>How come they came up with such a deal?

Does it raise the SP500 before the election? Since ARM and Softbank aren't listed then selling it to a listed company will inevitably increase NVidia's price in the short term.

This government's only priority is that everyone's retirement account statement looks good by November

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI? Aiaiaiai!

It is that it's Nvidea, otherwise I would have called BS. I guess those are still the magic words to get the finance boys interested. Either that or cryptocurrency, and then I prefer they focus on AI.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: AI? Aiaiaiai!

Ironically Nvidia are currently on the naughty step for telling the finance boys that they WEREN'T selling much for cryptocurrency

4. UBF

Could TheReg take initiative?

I think The Register is the only place able and (I hope) willing to coordinate a plea to the powers that be in order to somehow intervene to protect this cutting edge and most precious British intellectual property. Perhaps an open letter, signed by Nobel laureates, academics and top financial and business figures, sharing the ARM co-founder's view that "the way you build companies like Apple is by starting with companies the size of Arm, not with a startup.” (see today's Guardian). Also, he said “They [Nvidia] can make more than $40bn by destroying it.” Can the UK afford losing its largest tech company to a US company that might well in the near future be forced to restrict its exports to the very country that generated its IP?

It's another tragedy for the history (soon to become paleontology) of UK's technological decline after WWII. And I say this having the experience (and honour) of setting up the first computerised Physics undergraduate Laboratory in 1986 in my country using Acorn BBC and Econet technology, and having vivid memories of the era of the design of the first Acorn Risc CPU (it was designed & simulated using plain BBC Model B and ran flawlessly the first time it was etched on silicon!). Still dreaming of acquiring an Archimedes...

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Could TheReg take initiative?

Seconded, UBF.

That's the power of the proposal squared as opposed to doubled.

Very soon, only a few more have that energy generated at an exponential level. :-) Such introduces the notion of a supernatural development in a Grand Remote Virtual Experiment with Untouchables.

2. UBF

Re: Could TheReg take initiative?

It seems the man himself already had the same plan I imagined - he has already set up a website and written an open letter to sign and provide support: https://savearm.co.uk

5. All names Taken
    Facepalm

Tst - Its all politiks silly!

Trump is oh so readable.

First of all accuse a big powerful country somewhere in the world of doing stuff that el Presidente knows the US is doing and wants to continue doing.

On the downside: is the UK now officially a vassal state of the US or is it trying to pretend it never was?

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Slippery Slopes and Greasy Poles ahead. Take Care.

Take the money and run seems like a good plan if there be no signed and binding Non Compete agreement from/for ARM star performing employees who might want to set up another billion pound green field outfit.* ...... a Dominic Cummings wet dream of an enterprise apparently, if one can believe what has recently been reported in media about his wishful thinking.

After all, it is the drivering innovative creative brains in any business that hold all the value and if they are to be shackled, it will obviously raise hackles and create divisions and foment discontent and revolution if thought to be third party and foreign state actor commanded and controlled in any specific exclusive direction disadvantaging the many in preference to rewarding the few.

* Some may even advise, never look a gift horse in the mouth, so sign on that imaginary dotted line for the money and then do as one wishes, for Non Compete agreements are a blatant fundamental assault on one's human rights and therefore unenforceable in law ?

It is not as if Blighty hasn't set that acceptable precedent, is it, Mr Prime Minister?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP Arm

From an ex-Arm engineer. Softbank was a bad owner, Nvidia's looking evern worse. Watch all the big customers run away as fast as they can...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020