back to article Euro police forces infiltrated encrypted phone biz – and now 'criminal' EncroChat users are being rounded up

French and Dutch police have boasted of infiltrating and killing off encrypted chat service EncroChat, alleging it was used by organised crime gangs to plot murders, sell drugs, launder criminal profits and more. The encrypted chat platform is alleged by British, French and Dutch law enforcement agencies to have been used by …

Page:

1. Duncan Macdonald

Use offline encryption/decryption

Use OpenPGP or other good encryption program on a standalone computer (no network access) for the encryption and decryption. Transfer the encrypted messages by USB stick (or even floppy disk!!!) to and from a computer with network access.

For immediate communications use codes (not ciphers) on throwaway phones. (Codes are agreed words/phrases that mean something different to their normal meaning - examples "Alas Babylon" (from the book of the same name - means a nuclear attack is in progress) "Jean has a long mustache" (WW2 message to the French resistance - D-Day tomorrow)).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Use offline encryption/decryption

> Transfer the encrypted messages by USB stick

That sort of defeats the point of an encrypted text chat app. If you're going to exchange information in person ( ie: talk face to face ) then there's no point in this service.

And any system which requires users to remember codes is inherently weak.

eg:

"Hello Mr Legitimate Businessman, please send me some more 'rugs' as my customers have snorted them all"

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

That sort of defeats the point of an encrypted text chat app

Transfer the encrypted message by USB stick to the communications device.

Clearer now?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: That sort of defeats the point of an encrypted text chat app

Oh, rather than typing them in, I see, that does make sense.

To elaborate on that for this particular use case, I wonder if this would work:

Two devices - a non-networked IO device for entering and reading messages and a communications device for transmission only.

Enter your "more drugs plz" message into your input device and select the PGP key and address of the recipient to encrypt it with. Input device creates a QR code with the full message, recipient address, etc. Comms device scans the QR code and sends the message.

Incoming messages handled in reverse - QR shown on the comms device and scanned, decrypted and displayed by the other [IO] device.

It has the convenience that non-technical users could follow, limited attack surface of only a QR code scanner, the network attached device doesn't have any private data at all and both devices are prescribed ( ie: you can't use an insecure PC to create the message )

Both devices would have to have cameras although they could have physical covers. Properly insulated software should make it pretty much impossible for a network attack.

What do you think? Can you make any improvements?

1. Stoneshop

Re: That sort of defeats the point of an encrypted text chat app

Two devices - a non-networked IO device for entering and reading messages and a communications device for transmission only.

Basically, this is the way encryption devices such as the Enigma, Fialka and Typex work, where you encrypt or decrypt the message airgapped from the comms method.

Although that means that you still have to fully trust the crypto device, as you don't want to leak a plaintext segment of the outgoing message, and its QR reader needs to be fully isolated from the OS otherwise a malicious incoming message could still compromise the device. But that's not just with QR codes; any data transfer method between the crypto and comms devices opens an attack surface. With an Enigma you can't really compromise the machine itself so any attack should target the reader of the received message, but software-based systems will quite likely have _some_ weakness allowing them to be compromised.

2. Lee D Silver badge

We have encryption with perfect forward secrecy (so even the encrypted text and the stolen-afterwards private key does not reveal what the message contained).

Any criminal who's just paying a French company for a "secure phone", the same as his mate's "secure phone" is the low-hanging fruit of those who are communicating secretly and don't wish the police to know about it.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

and even if you don't have preagreed codes:

"Regular checkin Mr Scott, code green, all normal."

4. Cynic_999

Using a non-networked computer does not protect you from having your messages recorded by a hardware keylogger. If you become a "person of interest," a small keylogger can be installed inside most computer keyboards in 5 minutes. Maybe by someone posing as a gas safety inspector to gain access to your home while you are out. Such keyloggers act as a hidden wifi hotspot while powered, which can then transfer your last few thousand keystrokes to anyone within wi-fi range over the following few days/weeks/months.

1. Stoneshop

Which can be thwarted by keeping that offline machine inside a Faraday cage, running off a car battery that you disconnect from its charger when in use. And of course you religiously sweep the room.

Still not perfect, but a few more hurdles between you and your adversaries.

5. Claptrap314 Silver badge
      Mushroom

The Iranians might suggest that the use of a USB stick isn't the best idea if you want to secure your system.

And a floppy?

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Lies, damned lies and official statements?

> British, French and Dutch law enforcement agencies to have been used by around 60,000 people

> British police claims that all 10,000 of EncroChat's UK users were criminals

but only ...

> 746 arrests. I.e. about 1 in 15 UK users.

We know that all reports of "cyber crime" are bigged-up. Both in extent and sophistication. Is that the case here, too?

60,000 users each paying £1500 per 6 months, comes out at £180 million a year to the owners of this network.

If that is the true value of a covert mobile phone network, I cannot imagine that it will be down for long (esp. given what the operators will have learned from this). Nor that such networks do not operate elsewhere. In other parts of the world.

Should we expect further reports of other "busts" in other countries - the USA being an obvious one. Or are those networks just better run and can avoid detection.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lies, damned lies and official statements?

British Police recieve 9.254 Writs for Libel.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"> British police claims that all 10,000 of EncroChat's UK users were criminals

but only ...

> 746 arrests. I.e. about 1 in 15 UK users.

We know that all reports of "cyber crime" are bigged-up. Both in extent and sophistication. Is that the case here, too?"

Hmm, a few things;

1) It looks like the crims were awash with cash, so maybe it was not that uncommon for a 'user' to have more than one phone even at £3k a pop?

2) The Met police chief said operations are ongoing, so they probably expect to arrest more people.

3) In some cases, even having decrypted the messages, there may still not be sufficient evidence to make an arrest.

4) We know that criminal gangs are often Global these days. So the wealth of intel recovered from the millions of encrypted messages should give the cops info about other possible networks in use. Expect more busts in the future and not just in Europe.

And finally, let's be happy that a bunch of nasty individuals are hopefully going to be taken out of circulation for quite a while and that should mean there are fewer victims as a result :)

Well done to our police forces!

1. Stoneshop
        Flame

1) It looks like the crims were awash with cash, so maybe it was not that uncommon for a 'user' to have more than one phone even at £3k a pop?

The drug cartels at least aren't really short of money indeed, given that they treat second-hand Learjets and such as consumables[0], and have "submarines"[1] built. So a couple thousand quid per phone appears to be just loose change.

[0] to be consumed by fire that is, after the cargo has been unloaded.

[1] not actually capable of diving, but they resemble one; a fully submerged cylindrical hull with a small canopy protruding above the water surface.

3. Ben Tasker

> We know that all reports of "cyber crime" are bigged-up. Both in extent and sophistication.

I'm reminded of the reports of the way the Police report the "street value" of seized drugs. They assume that the entire weight will be sold in the smallest possible denominations (smaller measures usually costing more per gram than larger ones).

> Should we expect further reports of other "busts" in other countries - the USA being an obvious one. Or are those networks just better run and can avoid detection.

Already happened to some limited extent - https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/265465-phantom-secure-ceo-busted-selling-super-secure-smartphones-drug-cartels

4. John Jennings

At 1000,eu for the device, followed by 3,000 eu per year subscription, you have to have a fairly big budget for privacy.

The product was hardly being marketed as a 'mainstream' solution.

Chances are that all (or almost) all the phones were for criminal purposes. Whether or not every single one had messages linking connecting an owner to a chargeable crime is another matter. Perhaps its easier to go for the low hanging fruit?

3. Christoph

Isn't it lucky that the cooperation with European police forces happened this year.

After 31st December we're out of luck.

1. Anonymous Coward
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He's immature for pointing out the truth?

I'd say you're immature for not being able to handle it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"After 31st December we're out of luck."

Unlikely.

Despite misinformation from the tabloid comics, it's only BRINO that's happening anytime this century.

Until the "children" do grow up and decide they were better off actually being part of a 350M person economy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"....to support British police claims that all 10,000 of EncroChat's UK users were criminals. Such devices are of interest to legitimate users (journalists, lawyers, academics, domestic and foreign political campaigners.. "

I would imagine the police also consider them criminals too...

1. Chris G

The British police generally consider everyone not a policeman to be a criminal.

Though they are not above massaging the law on occasion.

An acquaintance, some years ago,was on jury service, one case was a yoof who had been caught for a series of car thefts, the charges included ( can't remember the exact number) something like 280 similar offences (commited over a relatively short period) to be taken into consideration.

The beak looked up at the defendant and the arresting cop and remarked that the defendant had been a very busy boy and that the police were lucky to have cleared their unsolved car thefts with by catching such a prodigious car thief.

5. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Joke

Why am I thinking about 1960s Batman?

Joker: "Do you have your criminal chat app?"

Riddle: "It's on my criminal mobile phone."

Joker: "Excellent"

Batman: "Not so fast!"

Both: "BATMAN!" (cue shocked Pikachu gif faces)

Batman "Yes, and the Bat-Computer has been decoding everything you've been saying"

Joker: "But how did you break our top-level criminal encryption?"

Batman: "Well, to be honest... it was a bit rubbish."

1. Anon
      Big Brother

Re: Why am I thinking about 1960s Batman?

Because you've been watching The Defpom's Mailbag Monday?

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Re: Why am I thinking about 1960s Batman?

I have no idea what that is but intend to find out forthwith. Or fifthwith, depending how long my thirdthwith task takes me.

6. batfink

So what are GCHQ doing with all their funding then?

So according to the (possibly misleading) available info, this was a bust led by the French, but the UK NCA claim to have "developed the tools" for this.

Why are the NCA doing this? We already have spy agencies, funded in the billions pa. WTF are they doing then? I thought that the reason we throw money at them was so they could catch crims/peados/touriststerrorists?

If I were the NCA I'd be holding my hand out for the other TLA's funding.

It would be a very interesting committee meeting if the TLAs were asked to present a return on investment case.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: So what are GCHQ doing with all their funding then?

"Why are the NCA doing this?"

Perhaps the NCA are full of fecal matter?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: So what are GCHQ doing with all their funding then?

>Why are the NCA doing this?

Well given we know that the NCA and GCHQ along with other agencies work together on things, I suspect having the NCA say "they did it" helps to coverup and divert awkward questions being asked of the European agencies and their investigations of European nationals given European laws.

So I expect the French got an anonymous tip off - from the NSA - that enabled them to look in the right place to find the EncroChat services located in France.

Aside: If you are interested in such matters, I recommend watching Deep Web - The Hunt for Dread Pirate Roberts.

7. schermer
    Happy

Dutch viewpoint

From a dutch news channel ( https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6061836/justitie-kon-live-meekijken-met-communicatie-criminelen-na-kraken-encrochat.html ): <translated>"The Dutch justice system has also been able to read more than twenty million messages live before they were encrypted by the users and EncroChat. The company is one of the largest providers of encrypted digital communication internationally.

According to the judiciary, there are ten thousand users in the Netherlands whose reports concerned "unprecedentedly large numbers of serious crimes". As a result, the police say they have prevented liquidations, kidnapping plans have been thwarted, as have intended torture of individuals.

It is painful to note that officials seem to have been bribed at important - logistics - locations."

At least "our" Mocro-mafia can be diminished for a while. And moreover some of the corrupt officials can be dealt with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dutch viewpoint

"The company is one of the largest providers of encrypted digital communication internationally."

Except it isn't.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

A secure Android telephone?

I mean seriously? Were these crims so stupid that they believed such a thing existed?

Maybe they should have used iPhones.

Cheers… Ishy

9. Eclectic Man Silver badge

The Brexit angle (sorry)

Will the UK still get access to this sort of information after Brexit? Or after 31st December as, in theory, 'Brexit' has already happened?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Brexit angle (sorry)

No, they don't need Europe now, and are looking to the US for intel, safe in the knowledge that it doesn't worry about minor details like laws.

Oh, and the UK is "taking back control". /S

10. theExecutive

Daniel Kinahan

Drugs and Murder exposed

11. theExecutive

VPN

Yes your safe!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VPN

My safe what?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can run but you can't hide

If you worked for Encrochat then I suspect that there are a lot of unhappy people who will soon be seeking you out. I do not think such encounters will end well.

13. seven

Not many criminal users...

If as alleged by British, French and Dutch law enforcement agencies EncroChat has been used by around 60,000 people, then 746 arrests makes 0.012 of users to be criminals. If as the British police claim, there are 10,000 EncroChat's UK users, then 746 arrests makes 0.074 of the users to be criminals.

I wonder what percentage of Gmail are criminals? I wonder if freedom itself will be criminalized. Then 100% of users will be criminals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not many criminal users...

As the often misquoted saying goes, "innocent until proven guilty".

In other words, from the State's perspective, and as previously confirmed by Cardinal Richelieu, it's just a matter of time.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Michelle of the resistance

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like