back to article Ransomware scumbags leak Boeing, Lockheed Martin, SpaceX documents after contractor refuses to pay

Internal confidential documents belonging to some of the largest aerospace companies in the world have been stolen from an industrial contractor and leaked online. The data was pilfered and dumped on the internet by the criminals behind the DoppelPaymer Windows ransomware, in retaliation for an unpaid extortion demand. The …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/05/new_jersey_cobol_volunteers_mainframes/

40 year old systems ?!?

That's known as "being led by donkeys".

1. Javc
    Mushroom

Attacking weapons makers might not be the best idea

Maybe one of the victims of this crime will make an example of DoppelPaymer. See icon...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't really say I feel sorry for Lockheed Martin.. They have a history of thuggery themselves (bribing at the highest levels of the Dutch government for example): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_bribery_scandals . No love here for the Military Industrial Complex in general anyway.

SpaceX's work I really do applaud though and I'm sad they were hit by this.

3. cb7

Ffs Microshit, sort this out already.

1. How hard can it be allow a user to only allow apps they recognise to create/modify/delete files in standard user folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos)?

2. Disable VB script by default, allowing users to turn it on on a case by case basis

3. Granted, any user daft enough to enable macros when opening a random file deserves what they get.

I reckon that should prevent most if not all ransomware dead in its tracks?

1. Charles 9

Ever heard of click fatigue? IOW, never blame the user (who to Microsoft is the customer).

1. cb7

Yes I know most end point infections are the result of user error, but that's exactly why it's Microsoft's job to make a secure operating system.

Allowing random snippets of code carte blanche access to user files is not my idea of a secure operating environment.

Fewer infections leads to less money for the criminals which leads to even fewer infections till it basically becomes a worthless endeavour for the criminally minded.

1. Charles 9

"Yes I know most end point infections are the result of user error, but that's exactly why it's Microsoft's job to make a secure operating system."

But as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid. You can't save the user from himself. If the user wants a system they can get under the good, either Microsoft delivers to the user's satisfaction or the user takes his/her money elsewhere, leaving Microsoft in the lurch. See the problem?

IOW, if Windows throws up a warning that says, "Potentially dangerous attachment," and the user opens it anyway, then blames Microsoft for letting them get infected, what else can you do?

4. Unicornpiss
    Black Helicopters

International crime

Well, now that military data has been stolen and distributed, whoever is running the scam can add espionage and possibly treason to the charges they will face, possibly even terrorism, which may be enough to allow international cooperation that didn't exist before, and extradition. Congrats guys, you've graduated to the big leagues. I'm sure there's a cell at Guantanamo with your name on it and a plausible explanation as to why you just disappeared..

1. Charles 9

Re: International crime

Unless they have protection from a hostile power...preferably one with nukes...

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Unless they have protection from a hostile power...preferably one with nukes..."

That protection will last as long as it takes to show they've been targetting medical facilities as well as miliitary ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"which may be enough to allow international cooperation"

LOL - you don't appear to have realised that 'King Trump is trying to start wars with anyone who will take him on. The may be trade wars - but they are still wars, as they are designed to inflict casualties.

When you attack so-called allies, don't be surprised if they don't have your back.

5. oldfartuk

What baffles me is why someonelike Lookheed doesnt just emply some more hackers to fight thes scum back. The website they dump the docs on for example, is an obvious target. This is war ,surely.Put out a ransom dead or alive on the entire mob, $100,000 a head, somone will soon grass them up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The ethics and legal counsel of such businesses can't get over the ramifications of hacker employees potential going rogue. The companies could lose their crown jewels.

Governments, on the other hand, have no such qualms - it's only tax payers money after all :/

1. Charles 9

But what about THEIR crown jewels? Aren't they afraid of them being hacked and sold to a hostile power?

6. swm

Back to paper documents

Maybe we should just go back to paper documents prepared on a typewriter. Number the copies (if any) and do not allow copying (no copying machines in the secure area). This would require a physical breach to compromise.

7. CommanderGalaxian

Ransomware scumbags are indeed scumbags.

Exactly why contractors who are supposed to operate at Top-Secret level able to be hacked by some smelly teen in his mum's basement, is he real question that needs asking,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Money.

And no accountability at executive level.

Same as it's always been.

8. Twanky

Look on the bright side

From the article: When the company failed to pay the ransom by their March deadline, the gang – which tends to demand hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to restore encrypted files – uploaded a selection of the documents to a website that remains online and publicly accessible.

At least Visser got some of the information back - and they didn't have to pay.

More seriously: They also got a clue as to how long the bad guys had been in their system; long enough to steal the data before encrypting it in place. At least, I hope they reacted and didn't allow the encrypted data to leave their system after the ransom demand. If I was running a ransomware racket, I'd want to take a close look at any data that the target was prepared to pay to get back.

9. HammerOn1024

So when...

Are we going to stop coddling these fiends? Look, find them, do not arrest them. Put a TOW through their front door, douse the remains in kerosene and set it alight. Shoot anyone who comes out.

It's time to treat these people no better than 17th century pirates; kill them on sight.

1. Unicornpiss
      Alert

Re: So when...

That seems a bit drastic for a situation where no one was physically harmed, though I wouldn't shed too many tears if this became the policy. Might want to see if there are innocent family members present, and probably not a great idea if your (presumably properly investigated, tried, and convicted) suspect lives in an an apartment block..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So when...

Doesn't normally stop the SWAT teams.

Shoot first, ask questions of the dead later, seems to be their policy.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like