back to article 'Unfixable' boot ROM security flaw in millions of Intel chips could spell 'utter chaos' for DRM, file encryption, etc

A slit in Intel's security – a tiny window of opportunity – has been discovered, and it's claimed the momentary weakness could be one day exploited to wreak "utter chaos." It is a fascinating vulnerability, though non-trivial to abuse in a practical sense. It cannot be fixed without replacing the silicon, only mitigated, it is …

Page:

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Missing the point....

TBC, but I reckon mutliple CPUs are going to make it harder for an exploit to successfully attack both successfully in that narrow window of opportunity. Doesn't mean its impossible.

Of course, what we now know is that pretty much every Intel CPU has the same key inside, and that need leak only once anywhere in the Internet for whatever havoc that can then ensue to actually happen. If that includes exploits beating up CPUs later on in their runtime (i.e. after that narrow window of opportunity has passed, but others are open if the key is known), then presumably all CPUs in a multi-chip setup would be vulnerable.

Could be that anyone relying on Intel CPU security features is going to be in a whole heap of trouble real soon.

Good news for AMD of course, though who knows what problems actually exist over there. On the whole they do seem to have dodged most of the bullets that have done a lot to dent Intel's reputation recently.

1. whitepines
        Happy

Good news for AMD of course

AMD has pretty much the exact same system in play, it just hasn't been attacked as earnestly as the IME yet. Look into the PSP. This is only good news for AMD if they can continue to lie about their security focus while still forcing the exact same DRM model that has brought Intel to this situation.

Go ahead, downvote me for daring to speak against Team Red...

1. Unicornpiss
          Meh

Re. AMD, they very well may have the same vulnerability in their chipsets. Or they may have corrected any hole years ago. Since I have not seen an article analyzing AMD yet, I'm going to cautiously give them the benefit of the doubt thus far, partially in good faith since their CPUs aren't nearly as vulnerable as Intel's offerings from the same era, at least to as many exploits.

1. whitepines

I know for a fact they just haven't been analyzed as much. AMD still has the exact same "keys to the kingdom" problem, they're just at a much smaller market share so interest in cracking their key versus Intel's key is a lot lower.

Same way Linux doesn't have many viruses -- tiny market share in terms of gullible PC users, so just not worth the effort to crack (yet).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The flaw exists in the supporting "Platform Controller Hub" or PCH rather than the CPU, so on a multi-processor system this is still likely to be present, assuming the PCH has the Intel Management Engine functionality.

As far as I can tell, this appears to make TPM/content protection keys vulnerable and may provide a way of introducing firmware onto hardware in the system. I say may as access appears to be gated by ROM instructions - it's not a free for all.

Its worth noting that this is using an Intel debug bus for access - while this information and the tools to use it are being publicly disclosed, Intel will already have something similar for debugging/development purposes. And will likely have provided it to their friends.

1. whitepines
    Angel

This is exactly why we use ARM and Power systems (though technically those systems are chosen only for the open firmware, it's mainly that those two architectures have CPUs with open firmware that are powerful / pervasive enough to be useful).

I just can't believe it's taken this long for the master key to leak...

...which makes me suspect it's already been extracted some time ago, just not in white hat circles / publicly.

Wonder what the GDPR implications are, since it's not exactly like the IME was a secret for the past 5+ years? Shouldn't purposefully choosing a cheap, but insecure, platform to store protected trigger some fairly nasty fines now that data leak (especially of, and I quote, "encrypted" data) is possible? Especially since the decision was purely to minimize cost on "that IT cost centre"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cost

Wouldn't this problem have been nullified if intel had spent a couple of bucks on a dedicated RAM die for this security engine?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
        Facepalm

According to the article it had dedicated RAM. And yet, still, some devices could DMA into it.

2. Hooda Thunkett

If any kit on your computer has DMA access, is it capable of attacking the CSME in this way? I'm thinking perhaps of Ethernet controllers for systems that have power-on over Ethernet capability. If that controller has a different vulnerability that would allow an attacker to modify the ROM of the Ethernet controller, which has DMA and can reset the processor (or potentially power-cycle it) then you could have a significant vulnerability.

1. WorBlux

Thunderbolt does, but that's not even the big implication of this. If the SKS is compromised, and attacker could put any arbitrary image on the SPI flash chip. Not a big deal for some of us, for others it's a disaster in the making.

2. Sgt_Oddball

Well....

Pretty much any server with a management interface (HPE's iLO for example) would probably get you round that problem since it's active when the main CPU(s) are powered down.

So yeah... That.

3. Zolko Silver badge
      Mushroom

as designed

If that controller has a different vulnerability that would allow an attacker to modify the ROM of the Ethernet controller...

and what about the driver of that Ethernet controller ? For some of these controllers it's probably a closed-source driver, therefore anybody having access to the source of said driver could have already installed a usable exploit of this "vulnerability".

Said otherwise:

- US companies make Ethernet controllers with closed-source (binary blob) drivers.

- US government is known to spy on everybody, using computer tech

- US government has a law called "Gagging order" which prevents any US person from even telling that it received such an order

- US tech firm has made a "mistake" that can be leveraged by a DMA-capable Ethernet controller.

So, what are the odds that all this was actually designed: bake a backdoor into a family of CPUs, make said back-door exploitable via DMA at resume, make Ethernet controllers DMA and wake-on-LAN capable, install exploit of said backdoor into said driver of said controller, send gagging orders to everybody involved that they can't talk about any of it. Disguise all this as an unfortunate bug.

Yes, the NSA could have asked for the key's themselves, but if that request were ever to be leaked it would be impossible to deny.

3. Ian Johnston Silver badge

So, basically, an attacker needs to run some software on your computer in a tiny period before the processor has been switched on, let alone started running even the OS? That sounds like a risk I'm happy to take.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

Happy or not, if you have the shitset in your computer you get the risk anyway.

2. DrBed
      Facepalm

> "So, basically, an attacker needs to run some software on your computer in a tiny period before the processor has been switched on, let alone started running even the OS? That sounds like a risk I'm happy to take."

How about "if my brain is dead just for a tiny period, it sounds like a risk I'm happy to take." ?

Tiny in deed.

3. Wayland

Probably not affecting Fortnite players that much.

4. conscience

@Ian Johnson

This doesn't need to interact with your OS at all. Dodgy software can attack the Intel management engine, which is a full-blown computer that resides inside your CPU and which has it's own OS and direct access to RAM, storage and all the rest of your hardware. By the time your PC gets as far as the BIOS to start the boot up process it is already game over - and there is nothing you can do to stop or fix it without getting a new, non-Intel CPU. This affects just about all the generations of the Core family, as well as various Xeons, Pentiums, Atoms and Celerons.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Earlier wasn't there a JTAG attack

Don't some Intel or some Mobos have a JTAG accessible via USB?

Basically if you have LOCAL access, i.e. you are the Evil Maid (or Butler), all bets are off. Encrypted Discs, TPM, etc. The wonders of HID mean that you don't personally have to be local, send a nice gamer mouse to the target.

Maybe this needs something clever connected to the computer, but unlike regular warfare the "sniper" can keep trying at that crack without getting caught.

Wouldn't surprise me either if some maker leaves a flaw via esata, or the laptop dock or HDMI signalling or USB that allows the sniping.

Mine's the one with an apparently normal set of mouse, SD card, external esata device, USB mobile modem and USB memory sticks to drop on desks or in car parks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Earlier wasn't there a JTAG attack

Intel motherboards have a debug interface accessible with appropriate hardware

It looks like this would allow you to bypass TPM (bad) and HDCP (good....), but you need physical access to the device to do bad stuff.

As for firmware flaws, I suspect there are a lot of "standard practices" with firmware updating that makes this potentially dangerous - we never thought we'd need to digitally sign new firmware because it could only be updated by doing X....

5. Kev99 Silver badge

Weren't there articles some time ago about the flaws & holes in Intel's Management Engine? This sounds awfully familiar.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another day, another security flaw. Yawn.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps some very awesome clever amazing people can dump the whole IME rom and poke around for those NSA backdoors that are definitely there. :D

8. YetAnotherJoeBlow

Backdoors

I imagine that this exploit was just standard no review careless approach to engineering. However, The ME is a different story. Before those chips were released, the NSA got a batch with the ME disabled - because, of course, they knew. The NSA has revealed its hand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Backdoors

Could be a bit of both. "Any point fixing this rare race case?" Would have little need to fix as "nah there's no risk it's too hard and impossible to exploit. "

With a little of "oh that's a nice overlooked error there we can use, lean on our friends at Intel not to fix or to add extra features to this..."

While attributing planning to this might be off. For those in the know or those with requirements ot would not take long for it to be a trick of the trade useful feature.

See the million dollar iPhone unlock exploits for sale as an example or frozen dram chip swaps as another. Why fix something so obscure a security risk? Why expect those who newd it not to take the easy route to cracking the system?

9. W.S.Gosset

Utter Chaos?

> utter chaos will reign

Nonsense! It affects only a subset of the world's machines and it really only makes easier some already-extant attacks.

So... partial chaos will reign.

Or perhaps, utter chaos will have a surprise surge in the electorate. Despite forming a new minority party, it fails to secure control of the country.

10. SuperGeek

Attack on power up? Been known for years!

Attacking a system as soon as power is applied has been known for years as the weakest link. I don't think that will ever change. Too many subsystems on a computer for it to start protected instantly.

11. razorfishsl

simple... just slow the CLK cycles down......

thereby lengthening the window of opportunity......

1. MrTom4321

Or use a Celeron processor if they're vulnerable. Those things are like stones, no multitasking at all.

12. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Unhappy

The key is already out

One master key, which means the attacker can just buy a few cheap Intel PCs and leave them trying to extract the key tens or hundreds of times a second.

So we must assume the key is already extracted.

The important question:

What can be done with that key?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: The key is already out

So we must assume the key is already extracted.

The important question:

What can be done with that key? ...... Richard 12

The fear is pretty much take over and make over of operating systems catastrophically vulnerable to remote anonymous commands controlling collapses in exclusive executive market flash crashes, Richard 12.

And that and/or those able to exercise that key facility/utility are perfect candidates for exercising the efficacy of the power of Danegeld.

However, if ever classified as TS/SCI, it will not be widely known as an unfixable systemic security flaw being exploited and doused with Danegeld to try and mitigate and prevent colossal damage and manic disruption from a secret uncovered which cannot be denied, which remarkably allows it to be more stealthily employed elsewhere, should it be so desired.

13. Colonel Mad

Old stuff

There is some advantage to having slightly older kit: 11.8.50.3470, phew, have I escaped?

14. Conundrum1885

Digs out my

486 laptop.

Always have a "Burner laptop" for those times the SHTF as it still runs 98SE with Firefox + MAFF

Incidentally the 133 chip aka Cyrix upgrade does actually still work though is missing a few pins.

Bit of minor SMD repair to the tracks and voila!

1. EnviableOne

Re: Digs out my

98 SE with SP5 is probably the best OS from MS.

15. Wayland

Arnold

I seem to remember something about this, in fact I have TOTAL RECALL!

16. Timmy B

Meanwhile at AMD

There are smiles aplenty I can imagine.

1. Tom 64
      Mushroom

Re: Meanwhile at AMD

Does anyone still own intel stock?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time window, anyone?

My servers are re-booted maybe once in six months....maybe less often.

So....and attacker has a few seconds once every 15 million seconds.....so pretty difficult to time the attack!

But then, if the attacker has sufficient access to initiate the reboot....then it's game over anyway!

Move along....nothing to see here!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crypto AG & Intel ME

That's the whole world covered.

And yet the NSA, FBI & CIA let 9/11 happened.

19. Fading
    Mushroom

So the Intel IME..

Is a 486 with 1.5MB of RAM running a custom Minix.... so who is going to be the first to get Doom to run on it?

20. Miss_X2m1

Keep your computer powered on??

Will keeping your computer powered on and unable to sleep help avoid this "issue"???

21. EnviableOne

Why did i swap to Intel ....

just waiting for the intel supply chain to dry up completley,

then we might get some of the decent AMD chips in otherwise high spec laptops.....

damn shame mine needs the juice to do the job or i'd never have switched

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did i swap to Intel ....

Afaik the nice AMD laptop CPUs and laptops are out this year. No idea if they are paired with nice screens and gpus and other stuff though.

22. MrTom4321
    Pirate

DRM?

So the title mentions DRM and file encryption. So what does this mean for streaming video and Blu-ray playback on a computer?

Will video streaming be blown wide open once CSME access is gained? How about the encryption between a computer and an HDMI display? Will Blu-ray playback be able to be intercepted through this? What kind of ramifications does this have on DRM in general?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

What kind of ramifications does this have on DRM in general?

Any decryption done using keys secured by the CSME can be broken: so video streaming, anti-copying mechanisms, etc that rely on the EPID/TPM to store and use keys.

DVD and Blu-ray encryption is already cracked.

C.

23. Evilgoat76
    Alert

Fish in a barrel...

Didnt Mythbusters do that? And decided if you use an enormous chaingun its pretty easy...

24. A random security guy

A single key used as a KEK for an entire product

Why would they even do that? There are better ways of generating, storing, and protecting keys in HW during manufacturing. Unless Intel, in its infinite wisdom, decided to 'simplify' this whole process by simplifying the injection of keys.

WTF. Basic ABC of root of trust.

25. A random security guy

Decapping and retrieving the master key: 1 day?

It would take a day at most for a company doing reverse engineering in China (yeah, you can reverse engineer most processors there) ... The only obstacle would be the small scale. Just a matter of money.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like