back to article Julian Assange wins at hide-and-seek game against Sweden

Sweden's director of public prosecutions has today suspended an investigation into Julian Assange regarding rape allegations. The vitamin D-deprived WikiLeaks founder tweeted a pic of himself to celebrate the news: pic.twitter.com/dDvB1Vekhg — Julian Assange (@JulianAssange) May 19, 2017 The pale WikiLeaks boss has been …

Page:

1. Jay 2

Actions == consequences

Well I'd like to think as soon as he steps foot outside the embassy we'll nick him for bail jumping.

At that point it wouldn't suprise me if Trump (after a quick win, and smarting about the release of Chelsea Manning) decides to put in an extradition request. After all it may have been Manning who aquired the data, but it was the Assange-led Wikileaks that gave it a wider audience.

And then all the self-publicising idot may end up where he was trying to avoid in the first place, deep in the US legal system. All that because he wasn't very sensible when it came to use of what's in his trousers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Actions == consequences

> At that point it wouldn't suprise me if Trump (after a quick win, and smarting about the release of Chelsea Manning) decides to put in an extradition request.

IIRC the whole point of this stupid affair is that while he's in the UK he can't be extradited to the US as he's an Australian citizen. The extradition treaties mean we have to send him back to Oz and the Yanks have to get him from there. Whereas if he was in Sweden he could be extradited directly to the US.

1. Jay 2

Ah I see, I didn't know that rather important bit of info. In that case, he better start researching how friendly the Oz government want to be with the US...

2. SolidSquid

Actually if he were sent over to Sweden under a European Arrest Warrant then Sweden wouldn't be permitted (under the terms of the arrest warrant) to extradite him without the permission of the UK. If it's true that the UK can't extradite him without the consent of Oz, I suspect this would mean we couldn't sign off on anything other than Sweden sending him to Oz or Oz agreeing to have him sent

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I don't believe the Aussies get a veto on where we send him to, if and when we eventually deport him somewhere. He's subject to UK law, as he's in the UK and came here legally and of his own choice. The usual procedure would be that we'd bung him back to Oz, because that's whose passport he came here on - although he could presumably be deported to Ecuador if they gave him citizenship (so far he only has asylum).

It is correct that the EAW gives our courts a veto on what Sweden can do with him though. They're not allowed to exradite to a third country without our permission.

As it happens the Swedish extradition treaties with the US are far tougher than ours, which was a pile of shit written by Blair's lot in a fit of stupidity, and sadly not yet repealed. In my opinion no extradition treaty should be in place that doesn't allow the Home Secretary a public interest veto over extradition, which neither the US or EAW do - hence I'd personally like to get rid of both, and replace them with the normal kind of extradition treaties that most other countries use, and that we use with everyone but the US and EU.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

I don't believe the Aussies get a veto on where we send him to, if and when we eventually deport him somewhere.

That was my understanding too based on commentary by qualified legal counsel on previous events. Specifically, he would have been safer in Sweden against supposed extradition to the US. If extradited to Sweden a condition would automatically be attached preventing subsequent re-extradition without explicit UK consent. Over here he can be extradited without fourth party involvement.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Trump won't want him

He LOVES Wikileaks, remember? He doesn't want to risk upsetting them by jailing their leader, they may have some stuff on him they can release. Given Trump's legal issues at this point, he could ill afford such a risk.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry, you mentioned both Trump and Assange - which particular "self-publicising idiot" do you mean might end up "deep in the US legal system"?

3. HereIAmJH

"At that point it wouldn't suprise me if Trump (after a quick win, and smarting about the release of Chelsea Manning) decides to put in an extradition request."

Ironically, Obama didn't want him. Trump now has an empty cell to fill, and a need to look tough. But the clock is ticking, maybe he just has to stick around a little longer and Pence won't want to bother with him. Leaving him free to enjoy his incarceration for jumping bail.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But but but.......

The alternate reality is that he was set-up by the Feds/CBI/NSA (whoever) for screwing 2 chicks . Have not anyone cross examined or interrogated those women to confirm whether this was a honeytrap ?

His leaks are not even on scale matching Snowdens - FFS.

Let him go and our Mets can save a few millions and do some real work. Pity, he will still be a marked man, now that Trump is in charge, who will do anything to regain some credibility, by snitching him somehow. Who better than than this minnow.

Good luck Julian. You will need it.

1. SolidSquid

Re: But but but.......

"Have not anyone cross examined or interrogated those women to confirm whether this was a honeytrap ?"

That's something which would usually happen as part of the trial proceedings, which never happened because he dodged out of the country despite knowing he was wanted for questioning on additional charges (or at least his lawyer was aware of this)

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

> That's something which would usually happen as part of the trial proceedings

Exactly. By his own hand, Mr. Assange will never be "the man found innocent of rape". He will always be "the man that avoided the question of whether he was innocent of rape", until the end of his days.

That's fairly long winded, I'm sure it will be shortened to "Possible Rapist Julian Assange" over time.

Ps. I note his tweet: "Detained for 7 years without charge while my children grew up and my name was slandered. I do not forgive or forget.” There is no doubt, he really is a first-rate cock.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If he's a "first rate cock"

He'll probably still be able to pull the ladies, even with the 'possible rapist' allegation following him around the rest of his days.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: If he's a "first rate cock"

"He'll probably still be able to pull the ladies, even with the 'possible rapist' allegation following him around the rest of his days".

Jealous, are we? I thought so.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Have not anyone cross examined or interrogated those women to confirm whether this was a honeytrap ?"

This has allegedly been confirmed by Swedes who know the identity of the accusers. Particularly in regards to the older one.

2. Stuart 22

"The alternate reality is that he was set-up by the Feds/CBI/NSA (whoever) for screwing 2 chicks"

If this was true it was done under a previous administration. Now, whatever you think of Assange, it ain't going to be that he is not a smart technical cookie. If he hasn't got the drop on who hacked and leaked the DNC then he ain't half the man I thought he was.

So in these days of Special Counsels and vultures circulating the White House spiralling into a chasm - extraditing Julian to a US Courthouse to testify might not be the smartest move. But then, perhaps, we don't have the smartest guy making the decision. If it is his decision.

On the other hand the intelligence community might just want Julian to spill the beans to help remove or neutralise their chief headache. I guess it comes down to who is really running the Dept of Justice.

Time to order more popcorn ...

3. Dick Kennedy

Sounds like the US grand jury finally got its act together. I suspect the US Justice Dept has asked Sweden to stand down, thereby removing its prior claim over Assange. With that complexion, he's not going to look good in orange.

4. Christopher Lane

Does anybody else find it strange...

...that the Swedes drops the charges two days after Chelsea Manning is released?

1. JimC

Re: Does anybody else find it strange...

Its at very least an odd coincidence.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Does anybody else find it strange...

They haven't.

They have shelved the case and dropped the arrest warrant because it's not going anywhere, and Swedish law says they can't keep the warrant open.

It is possible that the timings are related because JA said he'd come out if Manning was released. She has been and he's not come out - so his word is bollocks.

The case can be taken back off the shelf and a new warrant issued until some time in 2020, as it seems Swedish law allows some rape cases to "time out".

The only real change is that now the UK get to try him first, instead of Sweden.

5. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

The people who put up (and lost) the bail money

They're obviously not short of a few bob, so they tick the "rich" box. Where do the stand as regards ticking the "powerful" box?

If he manages to get out the embassy somehow, will he be spending the rest of his lifetime looking over his shoulder waiting for an <ahem> accident to happen to him?

6. davcefai

Entertainment

I love watching politicians squirm. Assange has provided me with entertainment.

On a more serious note:

No matter what anybody thinks of him as a person, he has rendered the world a service. Politicians preach "open government". Wikileaks has helped to achieve some of it.

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Entertainment

Yeah, he's just *very* selective about *which* governments he helps or hurts. He is not, for instance, at all interested in opening up the Russian government.

1. Phil Koenig

Re: Assange's "selectivity", of course it would never have occurred to any of his numerous bitter critics who made their mind up about him the moment they heard all that state propaganda about him and never bothered to look at the details.. that he might actually be protecting Edward Snowden by not going full-tilt against Russia at the moment?

Or that Russia is one of the very very few countries in the world (2 or 3 at the most) which has the power and capabilities to a) keep Snowden away from US clutches, and B) provide some kind of platform to someone like Assange (eg via RT) who is persona-non-grata anywhere the US has significant influence? Does anyone in their right mind think that the BBC is going to provide Assange with a neutral platform from which to criticize western countries?

Most of the shrill critics from what I can tell basically decided whether they like him or not based on whether he leaked anything on their buddies recently and what their favorite politician tells them to think. The US Republicans hated him and Wikileaks with a passion for years and were incessantly braying for his head until Wikileaks released some damaging material on their political foes that ultimately helped them win the election, whereupon they all kissed and made up and got on the Wikileaks bandwagon. Pathetic.

2. Velv
        Terminator

He is not, for instance, at all interested in opening up the Russian government.

Do you fancy trying Polonium Tea?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now the Swedes have lost interest, wouldn't it be easier just to say, "alright, sod off back to Australia or Ecuador" and let them worry about?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, deport him to Australia then we can watch without being involved of another US Antipodean extradition saga al la Kim Dotcom without it costing the UK taxpayer any more money.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She won't allow.

Not really, since its a gift from the gods for her highness (read Theresa May) to show her gratitude to the Merkins and Trump her undying loyalty and alliedness to the cause of war on terrorism and all that jazz. It was under her watch as home secretary that the Trumped up charges (xcuse the pun) were brandished and a lot of stink was raised about Julian Assange and his mis-doings in damaging the NATO coalition. We Brits are suffering the most intense surveillance (both Cameras and online) under her stewardship since 2010 then ever before and alot of RIPA like intrusive powers bestowed on themselves under various guises. (Think of the children? Anyone? She doesnt have any)

She's got another chance to suck Trump's balls by handing over JA to them on a platter ! ANd gain publicity.

How opportune & convenient.Sycophancy of the highest order.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: She won't allow.

"Think of the children? Anyone? She doesnt have any"

I wonder why? No, don't answer that, I think I know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That picture...

Looks like he's trying out a pose for a new Tinder pic.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

French law, as opposed to English law, has an interesting concept of consequential innocence. IIRC any offence committed in a defence against an alleged offence - is null and void if the original allegation fails.

The classic example was helping someone escape from prison. If they were subsequently found to be innocent - then no offence had been committed in helping them to escape. No doubt the Devil will be in the details.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

So he should have fled to France

Also irrelevant, because this is just the European arrest warrant that's been dropped, not the case.

He has another two years* during which Sweden can reissue the warrant, followed by one year when Sweden can issue an extradition requst, and then the case itself has to be dropped.

Most countries would not allow this - to escape rape, simply hide for 10 years?

* I assume May wants us to withdraw from the EAW system along with everything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obviously fair

Thanks for informing me about this - I'm delighted to hear there is something I can like about French law.

10. I Am Spartacus
    WTF?

So, are the Swedes going to pay

The MPS has had a guard on the Ecuadorian Embassy dor for some time and racked up considerable cost to the British Taxpayer. We did this because there was an arrest warrant for Assange (TM).

Now that they have just dropped the case, we are left with the bill. Shouldn't the Swedes pay the cost of this?

1. Alister

Re: So, are the Swedes going to pay

The MPS has had a guard on the Ecuadorian Embassy door for some time and racked up considerable cost to the British Taxpayer. We did this because there was an arrest warrant for Assange (TM).

No, we did this because he had committed a crime in the UK, of failing to answer his bail conditions.

Now that they have just dropped the case, we are left with the bill. Shouldn't the Swedes pay the cost of this?

No, Assange should pay it, he's still wanted for the charge of failing to answer his bail.

1. Phil Koenig

If you honestly think that the UK spends millions of pounds and 5 years of 24-hour baby-sitting for every bail scofflaw in the country then I think it's time to go home and dry out.

2. Mike Shepherd

The UK will pick up the tab, in support of the US empire.

3. Goldmember

"Now that they have just dropped the case, we are left with the bill. Shouldn't the Swedes pay the cost of this?"

The case hasn't been dropped, it's just been suspended as they can't physically get to him while he's here. Quote from the article:

“If he, at a later date, makes himself available, I will be able to decide to resume the investigation immediately,”

But you're right in that a ridiculous amount of resource has been spaffed on guarding him. He has cunning, and a team of loyal backers/ supporters who can make a lot of noise in the media. It was clear he wasn't going to back down and give himeself up.

Years ago, they should have instructed officers to quietly turn their backs and quickly have a taxi take him to Heathrow with a one-way ticket to Ecuador. It would have saved millions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Imagine you are him, and are presented with such an offer. Are you really going to take them at their word that you won't be arrested once you leave the embassy grounds?

11. R3sistance

Brexit

Presumably Sweden is foreseeing the European Arrest Warrant no longer being valid in the UK post brexit and so has given up since now it is just a matter of time until that comes about. Not that the rape allegations have ever had a real shred of evidence behind them anyways but the fear being that Sweden would hand Assange over to the US post trial. Assange after all is guilty of the biggest crime in the world, he went against the US Government and leaked dirty stuff they were doing, while I do not like Assange on a personal level, I don't think anything he has actually done is deserving of any real jail time.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Brexit

We had an opt-out from some of the EAW provisions, and May opted back in. My guess is that May will want to keep it, or have something equivalent to it, when we leave the EU.

12. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Another long walk to freedom

All pretence that the US don't want him, and any fear they did was only in Assange's head, have gone now the CIA and federal prosecutors have made it clear they do.

If he is arrested it is almost certain that we would extradite him to the US or deport him to Australia or somewhere equally likely to extradite him to the US.

He is going to be in the embassy for a long while yet.

13. Hans 1
    Boffin

Sweden

Lets not forget that Sweden is like the US when it comes to sexual intercourse! You need at the very least "formal written consent" for sexual intercourse and you better understand what is written on the form, if you attempt any act not covered by the document, you are liable! Of course, if you can find a lawyer after leaving the disco before you get to hers, better make use of your find and have him witness your "agreement to have fun".

Crazy world, this!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Sweden

"You need at the very least 'formal written consent' for sexual intercourse"

crazy world indeed. it drives me to becoming "robosexual"

1. DropBear
        Trollface

I hate to break it to you, but soon you might need some appropriately punched tape for that too - you can't just exploit those poor robots willy-nilly like they were mere objects...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

Error 8008!

This device has performed an illegal operation.

Please reboot and re-insert floppy.

2. katrinab Silver badge

Sorry, a signed consent form is no use, because you can revoke consent at any time.

The case here was, they had consensual sex, then she fell asleep, and he had sex with her while she was sleeping, without a condom, which was not consensual.

1. Orv Silver badge

Ah, that new "stealthing" trend I hear so much about.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consequently, there is no basis upon which to continue the investigation.

Someone found out where the bodies are buried.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ecuador.

Do we really want to host an embassy that shelters accused rapists from the police?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like