back to article Windows 10 build 14342: No more friendly Wi-Fi sharing

The latest Windows 10 preview has been released by Microsoft, with changes making it more Linux and web-friendly. Gone, however, is automatic Wi-Fi sharing with contacts, with Microsoft citing low uptake over cost of development. Extensions to Edge, Microsoft’s browser alternative to Internet Explorer, in Windows 10 build …

Page:

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

have they fixed the 2D FLUGLY? probably not...

So, have they fixed the 2D FLUGLY (flat/ugly)? probably not...

and I doubt they fixed the adware/spyware or the preponderance of "the Store". Or that 'start thing' (ok I can run classic shell, so it's on ME for that one).

Until Micro-shaft can address THESE! MAJOR! PROBLEMS! I'm not touching Win-10-nic for anything OTHER than verifying that the appLICATIONS that I write are COMPATIBLE with it.

they need a serious CLUE-By-FOUR applied to something...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: have they fixed the 2D FLUGLY? probably not...

Just wait until the next release of Windows that lets you un-dock the "start menu" from the corner of the screen and make it a floating window.

Maybe they'll even call it: "Program Manager"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The way it's heading?

Rolling updates, with telemetry and all sorts of monitoring, they will decide how much of Windows is used by the majority of users and how much of the codebase is worth maintaining/developing or not, in the long term resulting in a dumbed down and limited OS? My heart sinks at the prospect.

3. Herby
    Joke

Windows??

Aren't they those things that have glass in them that you open to get fresh air?

Seems we've gotten away from the concept of opening windows to get fresh air. The other alternative is to break them, but it seems that most of the windows referred to here appear to already be broken.

Cue David Letterman's broken glass sound.

Maybe this shouldn't be classified as a joke, but I digress.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Stop

Fix the keyboard

In most ways, Windows 10 is excellent, but I do wish they would fix the display while using the virtual keyboard. While the ability to undock it and move it around is cool, it would be even better if the windows would autofit while in tablet mode, instead of having the virtual keyboard cover the application window and having to either manually resize or move the keyboard around.

Otherwise, Windows 10 is practically perfect: fast, featureful, attractive to behold, and it sends telemetry to Microsoft so they can dynamically analyze and improve the experience. (Okay, I included that last bit just to hack off the Linux fanboys.)

1. Dadmin

Re: Fix the keyboard

Android did that to me as well. Browsing site, want to enter some text into the field, now a "helpful" keyboard half the size of the screen pops up and blocks half the screen, which is already mostly blocked by the upper menus and page navigation or masthead, leaving me either no view of the text box or a sliver of a view betwixt soft-keyboard and masthead. Very cumbersome. Almost Benedict Cumbersome, but not quite.

5. Jon B

Wi-fi Sense needs your attention

Had so many prompts that wi-fi sense needs my attention. Not any longer then.

6. Gezza

You never stop learning

I do love the Comments section. Where else could you read an article about a top level function (by which I mean something any old Joe Shmo would grasp) in Win10 being switched off and within seconds be immersed in a scrum of serious conversations about symlinks, junctions and all manner of minutae - important undoubtably but most definately 'under the hood'.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: You never stop learning

Articles are the trigger.

The comments (and commenters) are where the interesting content is really coming from.

Same with all these kinds of sites (Slashdot, SoylentNews, etc.).

You don't go on a science forum to read the latest things from New Scientist. You go there to discuss them and get answers and critique and comment on them.

Same for TheReg, just IT instead of Science.

Sadly, a lot of sites just don't get this at all and think that they can post any old junk and/or they don't need the users to stick around.

7. 2Fat2Bald

WiFi Sense

I never liked the idea. Forget the technical arguments - if someone has password-protected their network then they've done it because they want to control access, otherwise it would be open. Who the hell are you - or anyone else, including Microsoft - to decide to pass that on and authorise total strangers (who then authorise others) to access that network? Especially when you consider that there is a lot more transacted over WiFi then just internet access.

Then there is the problem that - if you use it - very often you need to accept a T&C page, and you get nothing at all if you don't.... Which you don't do automatically, so you get disconnected from the 3G network periodically to use WiFi that isn't working....

1. azaks

Re: WiFi Sense

Easy tiger.

Its courtesy to learn at least the most fundamental basics about a Microsoft feature before kicking it to death. Unless of course you are a rabid MS-hater, in which case knowledge only gets in the way ;-)

8. toffer99

Wi-Fi connection cuts off frequently

Upgraded 3 tear old Lenovo from 7 to 10 a few months ago. Since then the wi-fi connection fails maybe 10 times a day for no obvious reason.. I have to reconnect manually. Any thoughts?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like