back to article Microsoft encrypts explanation of borked Windows 10 encryption

We know Microsoft can be pretty secretive about its spyware-as-a-service Windows 10, but Redmond has now taken its furtiveness to a whole new level. You may or may not know that its disk encryption tool Bitlocker has suddenly stopped working in the latest version of its operating system for a number of people. Bitlocker …

Page:

1. RIBrsiq
      Happy

Re: Buzzword Bingo

"How many layers of encryption are there in the quote?"

None. It clearly doesn't mean anything at all.

But it's probably useful as a source of randomness, in a pinch.

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why?

Given this and all the other horrors I read about Windows 10, why is anyone using it at all?

It breaks privacy, it breaks encryption, it breaks a lot of software and drivers, it breaks the UI, it breaks trust, it breaks your ownership of your own PC, and for people on capped data plans, it breaks your data cap too just in case you thought it couldn't get worse.

Nothing in it seems to work properly - for some reason Microsoft appear to have fiddled with everything from the hardware abstraction layers upwards, and fiddled badly. I haven't yet read anything positive, except that it has a sort-of start menu which is kind of better than the tiles in Windows 8.

1. Paul 129
      Trollface

Re: Why?

Cause when you try to install Vista or ealier, on a windows 10 certified machine..... IT wont work.

Mandatory EFI*

EFI; Initially I thought it was all about killing of linux. The scalps that it actually claims today are XP and Win2K. A successful result for MS

*Egregious Ferret Insertion

1. oldcoder

Re: Why?

Hint: try using grub to boot XP on an EFI system.

2. arctic_haze

The second Tuesday of the month experience

After the latest Microsoft Tuesday which almost killed my Windows 7 touchscreen device, I will try to remember my vow to wait at least five days with any Windows updates (and also hide anything that may be a Windows 10 installer in disguise).

3. Panopticon

The recovery password can be recovered from a BitLocker enabled computer provided it can be logged into e.g. by running: manage-bde.exe -protectors -get C: -Type recoverypassword

Just more ineptitude from the guys at MS who've never really understood the whole principle of Encryption in the first place, it's not supposed to be recoverable.

Windows has a long history of snafu and borking cryptography, they even completely screwed up Kerberos implementations in Windows 7 leading the maintainers of it to be left shaking there heads saying "Windows jus' doesn't get it!" which is true when you reflect it's supposed to be for protection of government departments and there own data, but then these government departments "holla" on about needing better security whilst they then try to erode it - claiming it helps bad guys. It must be marvellous to work in an environment of complete idiots who just do not understand why it's important and where it's use isn't even that highly mandated in the first place.

Goodness me just imagine if they'd used TrueCrypt to store all there secret documents, then they might not have got shared all over the Web! Suck's eh? Meanwhile in other news, they have access to so much data, they're drowning in it and the bad guys are talking over coffee and lunch in the local McDonalds instead of over the internet.

1. NomNomNom

about time parliament authorized a drone strike against ronald mcdonald, I always thought that dipshit had something to hide, otherwise why dress up like a clown?

2. RIBrsiq

It's possible to save the recovery password of a BitLocker volume if you already have access to it, yes.

How is this a problem...?

The alternative would be the need to migrate all the data to a new volume if you lose the recovery password of an old one and are not comfortable with the idea of not having a recovery option.

4. NomNomNom

Microsoft?? more like M$cro$oft

upvote if you think this comment is edgy

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eve

Perhaps the 'powers that be' have decided that snooping via the network is ultimately going to be too hard as unbiquitous encryption (slow but inevitably) takes hold.

So where else to target... easy, just put the listeners on the target devices themselves and get whatever information they need regardless of what grade of encryption is used for network traffic. Having an OS which allows them to hide this effectively becomes very important.

In order to do this though they need to embed the malware at a very deep level so it can't be easily discovered. Possibly even lower than the level at which the current software encryption between the encrypted hard drive and the applications on the OS operate...

Perhaps this is part of MS contribution to the 'cause'...

6. rtb61

All you hard drives are belong to us. Once M$ went with Windows anal probe 10, it had to be pretty obvious nothing would force them to drop that massive invasion of privacy short of new laws and regulations. Basically they like windows 8 are going to try to force it through and not give a crap about customer opposition.

7. Blacklight
    Mushroom

Whut?

"I'm sorry Dave, you want to add encryption to a self encrypting drive? I'm afraid we (and various agencies of choice) can't decrypt that (so we don't like it)".

Well, probably.

I was mortified to see the default is to save BitLocker keys "into the (MS) cloud" for you(r safety). Unless you have Win 10 Pro, in which case you are allegedly deemed capable of not losing your keys.

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Whut?

" Unless you have Win 10 Pro, in which case you are allegedly deemed capable of not losing your keys simply not told that it is being collected for you.

FTFY

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020