back to article Windows XP fixes flaws for free if you turn PCs into CASH REGISTERS

A German web noticeboard has published instructions on how to keep getting the free Windows XP updates that enterprises are having to pay for. According to this thread at Sebjik.com, all that's needed for 32-bit Windows XP installs is to edit the registry so that it tells Microsoft you're using POSReady 2009. As Betanews …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. teapot9999

Support must end at some point

I have a 10 year old Sony TV that doesn't get DAB stations - as you suggesting that it is up to Sony to upgrade/replace it?

1. Michael Habel

Re: Support must end at some point

I have a 10 year old Sony TV that doesn't get DAB stations - as you suggesting that it is up to Sony to upgrade/replace it?

Why would... Or should your TV be capable of receiving Digital Audio Broadcast RADIO to begin with? Perhaps I should be demanding that S0NY start allowing me to watch the BBC on my STR-2800 then?

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Support must end at some point

My last 1999 Sony TV picked up Freeview fine, sold because I went HD 4 years ago.

2. b166er

It's not like we weren't warned, multiple times, over many years, that support for XP would end.

Your bleating serves no purpose other than to make me suspect you're trolling.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be all those cashpoints, ticket machines and self check out machines using XP.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A very important question

Will this work for Windows 95 as well ?

And if so can it be back ported to Windows 3.1.

I haven't seen any updates for DOS, is it still secure ? Or should I be concerned ? My network packet driver and TCP/IP is still working fine as is my NCSA Telnet.

1. petur
      Thumb Up

Re: A very important question

Funny you bring Win95 up, I just used it a few hours ago. Some pretty expensive telecom test equipment (the critical stuff runs embedded, windows just does the GUI and file handling).

I was impressed with the startup and shutdown times, and overall speed.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Real Programmers

Use regedit - I don't need no stinkin' .REG file.

Patched on a system that we're going to replace anyway and four updates downloading.

But lets face it - everyone builds OS software for speed and ease of use. But it's patched for safety, not speed - have you ever compared the speed of a current patched system to the unpatched virgin install? There's a world of difference.

6. Greg K

Beta shirt

I used to have a T-shirt with this slogan:

"If you're using Windows, you're a beta tester."

Of course, that was circa 1988, and even if I could find it, I'd not be able to fit into it again.

It still applies to this day, however.

7. Medical Cynic

Snag is, you have to enter your PIN every time you use it!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like