back to article You THINK you're watching your LG smart TV - but IT's WATCHING YOU, baby

LG smart TVs silently log owners' viewing habits to the South Korean company's servers and use them to serve targeted ads, one researcher has claimed. According to Yorkshire, UK–based hacker "DoctorBeet," the internet-enabled sets try to phone home to LG every time a viewer changes the channel, giving the chaebol the ability …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. ammabamma

Re: Feed them false info?

Anyone care to whip up some suitable perl or python or whatever the cool kids use these days to pull random media names from catalogues -- or even generate some -- then feed them up to LG to chew on?

I like the way you think. From henceforth, the TV will report chez Ammabamma watching the Weather Station 24/7.

On a darker note, what happens when LG is "forced" to turn over the viewing list to the plod? How do you prove (since you have to bear the burden of proof nowadays) that those files and channels were what you actually watched what with the information being sent in the clear?

Imagine sneaking onto someone's poorly secured WiFi network and seeding LG's reporting site with a few choice titles:

- "A Beginner Jihadist's Guide to Overthrowing Western Society.wmv"

- "Exploited Underaged Models - part 07 of 13.avi"

- "Bomb Making Made EZ - A Video Guide.avi"

- "The Comprehensive Review of Trainspotting.xvid"

- "Gravity [2009] [CAM (Complete)] [pARAD0x_gROUp] [www.torrentmunchermoviebay.ch].avi"

I am not sure about the first three, but those last two pieces of filth will definitely land you in hot water with the authorities.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. chiller

"the differentiated advertising experience that you always dreamed of"

I refuse to believe that anyone dreams of an advertising experience.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since I only use my LG 47LA640V as a monitor

for my TiVo or media player, they are welcome to slurp all they want from me. Not that it makes it any better.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't Work For Me

Having Sky, they'd just see me watching a few hours of HDMI-1.

Oh, but then Sky track me via the Digibox instead! :-C

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020