back to article Apple iOS 6 review

OK, so when iOS 6 arrives in an hour or so, you'll rush to download it no matter what. You may as well, it's free, especially if you're not using any old apps that might warrant compatibility fears. Apple has promised the new operating system delivers more than 200 new features, but the vast majority of those aren't user- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Wibble
          Windows

Re: Going back

Arse. Restored the iPhone to 5.1.1 then tried to recover from the backup... alas this is "incompatible with the old version of the software". I don't have a TM backup to hand, so I'll have to restore it to iOS 6(.6.6) and re-try this later.

Key to this is getting the "iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw" file from Apple.

Apple's going off the boil IMHO.

2. Kingprawn

Cheers @Wibble I had to do this when I upgraded to iOS5 as the processes bricked my phone. I really should have learnt then to jump from the Apple burning ship. :o)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You don't pay their wages. Don't for one minute think you do.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Safari's new browser tab sync feature

So I'm browsing an "artistic" site on my iphone and that tab now cloud syncs to my ipad which my wife is using.

Imagine how much I'll love that new feature.

(Anonymous just incase it's doing it already.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Safari's new browser tab sync feature

Then switch cloud synchronisation off. Simple.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all the same

Android devices may not be on the latest OS but run (practically) everything.

Apple handsets are on the latest OS, yet you need the latest device to get all the features???

3. irksum
    Alert

Wonder if they've fixed that email bug...

...you know, the one where you have an email in the Drafts folder, you open it and press Send, but a random email-server authentication error occurs and the email isn't sent, and has disappeared from Drafts and is nowhere to be seen in the Outbox. So you have to retype the email all over again.

First found that bug in iOS3, still hasnt' been fixed in 5...

4. Doctor Tarr

iOS Updates

It’s great that Apple provide these updates quickly and for free but if I was happily using Google Maps on my iphone (I don’t own one by the way) and I upgraded to iOS6 would the Google app get removed? What about all my saved settings? Can you get Google Maps separately? Is this the same for all apps in an upgrade where Apple chose to provide their own version?

What’s the behaviour like on Andriod; I’ve never felt the need to upgrade mine?

It seems a bit off to me that you may have paid for an app that you can no longer use because the handset manufacturer decided they wanted you to use their version.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iOS Updates

It's effectively removed as the 'maps' application is now using Apple's maps instead.

You can still use Google Maps from a browser.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I reckon Android will lose users to Windows Phone much more than iOS users to Windows Phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doubt it. Windows Phone is closer to the iOS model. One interface common across all devices, tightly controlled/integrated hardware and software.

Android has very low spec devices with huge variations in hardware. You can call this choice, I call it a mess.

2. ThomH

If that's true it'll be because Microsoft will supply its OS to anyone that wants to buy it and bundle it onto a phone, exactly like Google. So if WP8 were to start picking up steam then the sales people at Microsoft will be chasing Google's immediate customers, which should manifest itself as a benefit to end customers through market competition and diversity, and lead to WP8 being in a similar price bracket to Android.

Conversely the marketing support for iOS is locked in.

6. Zot
    Mushroom

The Apps store's "More Reviews..." button is now completely broken!

Even when there's potentially hundreds of reviews, you can only see 4 or 5.

That's a really easy bug to spot in the general testing of operations. It's very visible, and they fucked it up.

The QA dept. needs to be given a good kick in the tick-box for missing that one.

1. Zot
      Thumb Up

Re: The Apps store's "More Reviews..." button is now completely broken!

As soon as I posted that, which was a problem reported a lot, it's now been fixed their end. Huzzah!

7. Dana W

I'm ok with it.

Just tested the turn by turn spoken navigation. It works very well.

So far I'm liking it fine. "Except the but tickets here button."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Especially when the iPhone gets NFC as it almost certainly will next year. By then sellers will be not only supporting Passbook, but will have begun building an NFC service infrastructure the iPhone can use.'

So Apple are going to sell an NFC iPhone next year (which, by the way, there is absolutely no indication of let alone it being 'almost certain') knowing that the infrastructure won't be there yet, but it will be once loads of people have bought NFC-equipped iPhones (which they initially won't be able to be use the NFC in very much) and that encourages businesses to actually install NFC equipment, so that maybe six months after buying the phone, people can finally actually use this new feature that's actually been around for ages but nobody gave a crap about because it's a solution in search of a problem.

Are you really running that as an argument? Really? What incentive does Apple have to design & manufacture something into the iPhone design to support an infrastructure that isn't widespread and that they will make no money off but will make a lot of money for other people? And what incentive will there be for people to buy these new NFC'ed iPhones, purely on the promise that at some point in the future they'll possibly be able to use this new feature to do some things they don't find a particularly inconvenient process without the new fangled tech anyway?

I mean, what? Do you own shares in NFC chip makers or something?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

".... support an infrastructure that isn't widespread...."

Maybe on your planet. Here on Earth NFC terminals for payments by bonk are springing up everywhere!

And don't forget, NFC isn't just for payments. Get a SGIII and find out what Apple will be copying, or at least catching up with.

1. Doogie1
        Facepalm

"And don't forget, NFC isn't just for payments. Get a SGIII and find out what Apple will be copying"

What? All the data off of your S3?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/21/android_nfc/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iOShite6 + idiotPhone5 = Not worth a penny.

Have you noticed, even Apple marketing wuoldn't use "Magical/Revolutionary" this time round?

They know its rubbish!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

100m+ downloads of iOS 6 in the first weekend alone is a pretty decent indicator of how many iOS devices are actually in use - at least an ageing 3GS can take iOS 6 (albeit with a few features unavailable).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like