back to article Microsoft says it found 1,000-plus developers' fingerprints on the SolarWinds attack

Microsoft president Brad Smith said the software giant's analysis of the SolarWinds hack suggests the code behind the crack was the work of a thousand or more developers. Speaking on US news magazine program 60 Minutes, Smith labelled the attack "the largest and most sophisticated attack the world has ever seen." "When we …

Page:

1. low_resolution_foxxes Bronze badge

Re: ...And your lucky colour is puce.

Allegedly Russian hackers have contracts that specifically forbid any Russian text, jokes or cultural references being used. It wouldn't surprise me if they use American English as a distraction.

2. tekHedd

4500 lines of code?

Was thinking the same thing: On the one hand, we have a fairly small program (I have larger throwaway internal utilities) written by at most two or three developers, possibly backed by a somewhat larger deployment testing team. On the other hand, we have... the fingerprint of 1000 developers?

Pull the other one, it has 200 bells on, according to our analysis.

1. yetanotheraoc

Re: 4500 lines of code?

The really amazing bit is Microsoft being able to fingerprint a developer from 4.5 lines of code. Maybe they asked Facebook.

1. seven of five Silver badge

Probably only 50 guys/gals

They're just 20 times better than Micros~1 could imagine...

Personally, I'd go with Steve Davies 3 Idea of stackoverflows copy&paste.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

2FA

Two Factor Access at work again, it's sold as "Authentication" but it's only effective when it works. It's a permanent security risk the rest of the time.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Re: 2FA

Yep - security works best when it's seen as security rather than a bit of a hassle.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2FA

> that individual had two phones registered to their name

A personal + a work phone? I have four different 2FA mechanisms for the various accounts and systems my employer uses.

3. gerdesj Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The real takeaway

"If anyone understands the havoc 1,000 developers can create, it’s Microsoft."

Genius

1. Phil Kingston
      Flame

Re: The real takeaway

Feel the burn

2. eldakka Silver badge

2nd best laugh I've had in months when I read that. (The best was when I was watching a video yesterday about flat earthers noting that the movement was fading (due to their videos in recent years having tiny viewership), and that the flat earthers had mostly moved to QAnon)

1. yetanotheraoc

I thought the flat earthers were more picky about what they choose to believe.

4. iron Silver badge

> Most US cyber defences look at activity beyond the nation’s borders

Well that's stupid since my router sees twice as many attacks from US than from RU and CN combined.

1. gratou

Yes but they are good attacks.

1. teknopaul Silver badge

Attacks from US ip addresses are not necessarily run by an American, you may just have a lots of ip cameras turned to bots in the states.

5. MOH

"Most US cyber defences look at activity beyond the nation’s borders and assume the private sector in the USA takes care of itself."

That seems .... optimistic

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It seems implausible to me. I'd like to see a citation.

6. Chris the bean counter

1,000 developers in the know ?

Seems unlikely. I expect only a dozen or so, using the work of other developers.

Definitely not a Russian hack if it was 1,000. That many would leak...I would hope.

My betting and prejudice would be China.

Love China hate Xi.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Supply chain hack first?

Surely when Lockheed got spearphished by their compromised outsourced HR provider, that was supply chain attack?

Or when every MSP out there got done over to gain access to customer networks.... that's supply chain attack.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

No Smoking Gun ... Identifies a Phantom Enemy. There's Counselling and Medication for Paranoia

It's not everyday you meet someone who builds cyber weapons as complex as those deployed by Russian intelligence. But Jon Miller, who started off as a hacker and now runs a company called Boldend, designs and sells cutting-edge cyber weapons to U.S. intelligence agencies.

Jon Miller: I build things much more sophisticated than this. What's impressive is the scope of it. This is a watershed style attack. I would never do something like this. It creates too much damage. ..... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solarwinds-hack-russia-cyberattack-60-minutes-2021-02-14/

There's always at least one, isn't there, blowing their own trumpet trying to excite the markets.

Hasn't Jon Miller heard the news ........ Self praise is no recommendation. And why is it Uncle Sam is always getting hacked by perps wonderfully adapted and adept at not leaving behind any provable incriminating evidence. It doesn't get much more sophisticated than that if one considers it a weapon.

1. very angry man

Re: No Smoking Gun ... Identifies a Phantom Enemy. There's Counselling and Medication for Paranoia

so happy to see you back, don't worry you'll soon have your writing back to normal.

“What we are seeing is the first use of this supply chain disruption tactic against the United States,”

Murkin's been doing it to EVERYone else for years, So pissed someone pulled the bully tactic on them!

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Useful IDiots 'r' Us

There's always at least one, isn't there, blowing their own trumpet trying to excite the markets.

And then there were two, to further compound and confound and peddle confusion in aid of chaos and conflict ‽ . ........ Former spy chief calls for military cyber attacks on ransomware hackers

What could possibly go wrong ...... apart from everything of course?

Heaven help us from former spy chiefs, and former anythings for that matter. There's a very good reason that they be returned to the shelf and removed from the front line.

And does the Daily Telegraph pay folk to make stuff up to pump and dump as current views and valuable news, or is it the other way around with the Telegraph being paid for spreading such tales?

9. mevets

Havoc

If anyone understands the havoc that 1000 programmers can create, it is MicroSoft's customers. MicroSoft has remained blithely ignorant of it for 40+ years.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<title>?</title>

...But what a shower of Anonymous Cowards commenting this very intetesting article...

AC, because: reasons

12. Ashto5

1000 programmers

The only place you see those numbers would be in India

Methinks they doth protest too much

It was probably a couple of guys who spotted the security hole

And now the big boys look stupid

Classic technique exaggerate the story to not look stupid, children do it all the time

13. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

...assume the private sector in the USA takes care of itself

We're doomed!

14. Muppet Boss

Programmer joke

Q. How many programmers does it take to write 4'032 lines of code?

A. 1'008 if they are versed in Quatrains.

15. Tessier-Ashpool

4,032 lines of code took 1,000+ developers

That's even worse productivity than mine!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021