back to article NCSC's London HQ was chosen because GCHQ spies panicked at the prospect of grubby Shoreditch offices

The National Cyber Security Centre picked its London HQ building not because it was the best or most cost-efficient location – but because the agency "prioritised image over cost", a Parliamentary committee has said. NCSC's HQ in the English capital's Nova South development, a glitzy commercial building near Westminster, was …

Page:

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: They have Cyber in their name

Come to think, letting the Cybermen into Canary Wharf was a bad mistake the last time.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Shoreditch

Don’t forget your nose peg, that place stinks from memory, as soon as I stepped out of the station all I could smell was a mixture of shit and fatbergs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shoreditch

Mandarins in Shoreditch as well?

2. Velv
    Pint

London?

In this day and age why does it need to be in London? I'd have thought there would be distinct advantages to it being anywhere that wasn't London.

I'm guessing the bosses have their favourite bars and restaurants...

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: London?

Why, oh why, oh why the fuck in London.

Every time something new like this is set up **IT’S ALWAYS THE FUCK IN London**. London-centric/first as ever.

By it’s nature IT, comms etc can be anywhere.

NCSC could have been anywhere from Carlisle to Weymouth, Inverness to Swansea.

Alight with a good tech University , GCHQ?

1. I am the liquor

Or Cheltenham even.

I suppose the risk would be that the NCSC bods might get too good at their jobs if they could hob-nob with the opposition in the canteen.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

For the same reason that public enquiries are always headed by a (sometimes retired) judge*. Keep it all nice and 'in the family'. Don't want any unpredictable outsiders doing anything like actually deciding things rationally. Of course the lawyers reckon they are the best at asking questions, but honestly, Dorothy Hodgkin, Mary Beard, Paul Nurse, Harry Kroto are / were just as good, if not better, and are interested in reality, rather than 'the best argument'.**

The problem is that senior people in government like to be able to talk in person to senior people. And while some senior people are in London, the others want to be there too. The Northern Powerhouse would only really happen if the House of Commons moved to Barnsley.

*Like it or not, all senior judges have succeeded and risen through the ranks in a system of justice that still discriminates significantly against non-male, non-white, non-upper or middle class non-CofE brits, and strongly against non-public school and Oxbridge educated elite. The majority of judges were educated in private schools and went to Oxbridge, and are white, male and privileged, Lady Hale notwithstanding.

**My mother was a lay magistrate ('muppet' in the Police slang). Her training included a stern instruction that they were not there to decide on what had actually happened, but on which was the best argument from the prosecution or the defence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree. Even if they do need to be in London, there is plenty of office space in the fringes. TfL moved to North Greenwich a few years back and a few departments have moved to Canary Wharf.

The departments will always make noise about accessibility and staff retention but it’s just that - noise. People adjust. Some move on. Life goes on

3. Just an old bloke

Shoreditch may be a tech hub but it is still a cr@p hole surrounded by very unpleasant parts of London. This does not make it bad. Worked there on a DR site for years, good pubs, decent caffs and real Londoners. This was before the beardie weardies took over and up-hipped it.

4. Alistair Dabbs

Shoreditch would be great...

...if the NCSC was happy to get by on 4Mb/sec. Tech was attracted there by the low rents, not the comms infrastructure. Still, just think of all those tattoo parlours they're missing out on.

5. Efer Brick
    Coat

Sounds discriminatory ...

against Satsumas and Tangerines

6. Jim Whitaker

Why does this body have any significant office presence in London at all?

7. evadnos nibor

It's near the Star

Which was (1990s) and maybe still is a decent FS&T pub - can anyone provide more recent info?

Got to take care of your mental health - a couple of lunchtime ESBs should sustain a spook through reading all the mundane stuff we put in our emails.

1. Lotaresco

Re: It's near the Star

It's near The Star if by "near" you mean "not near". It's handier for Sainsbury's than The Star.

8. Reneige

Meanwhile..

Meanwhile on those muppets' watch Hackney Council was hit by a devastating cyber attack.

9. CPU

Lessons learn.... LMAO, this Government learns nothing because it's all one big boys club.

10. Lotaresco

Spies

NCSC are spies? Yeah right, I'm convinced. Not.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like