back to article NATO's at risk if you go your own Huawei on 5G, US government warns Germany

The US government is continuing its crusade against Huawei, with economic undersecretary Keith Krach visiting Berlin to pressure the German government to reconsider banning the company’s kit from its 5G network. Krach reportedly told Angela Merkel and her advisers that including Huawei equipment in its next-generation networks …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Potemkine!

What is an EU army, if not "paying for their own defense"?

Besides, you know the term "EU army" has been made emotive - bandied around by leavers who have given the impression that the UK would have had to be involved, and it's all part of as superstate - U.S.E. etc.

It's not as big a deal as you're making out.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@AC

"What is an EU army, if not "paying for their own defense"?"

Another piss up the wall effort. Instead of paying toward NATO defence European countries have enjoyed the money while expecting the US to pay for it all. While exploiting the US paying for it all the EU can suddenly afford these pet projects.

"Besides, you know the term "EU army" has been made emotive - bandied around by leavers"

And by the EU itself. Which made it emotive as there aint many real armies in the western Europe as they have typically been underfunded (see above).

"It's not as big a deal as you're making out."

To us in Europe no. To the US I can see how they would feel used and expect Europe to sort itself out.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

"Germany couldnt even get planes and pilots to Iraq, the only one arriving was the war minister"

A war that killed thousands of innocent civilians, led to the formation of ISIS and the 10s of thousands of deaths as a result. All based on US ego and a non existent threat.

Good example that one. Still US contractors and arms companies made a fortune,so not all bad eh?

@IGotOut

"A war that killed thousands of innocent civilians, led to the formation of ISIS and the 10s of thousands of deaths as a result. All based on US ego and a non existent threat."

Actually the planes and pilots were to arrive in Iraq to help fight against ISIS. In no way am I glossing over the middle east invasion, the point is Germany couldnt even join in. Now imagine NATO is called to action, what will the Germans do apart from supply spare parts from their non working machinery?

1. Something Anything

Nato is at risk because apart from, Poland and Greece, no one in Europe pays their way

@Something Anything

As I understand it France does and only recently under Osborne did the UK reduce its funding so it met the NATO obligation (before that we spent even more).

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Stop

The 2% target is for 2024, not now.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Fine opportunity for great headline sadly wasted.

"Krach wants Germany addicted to US kit"

I simply don't know what's become of today's young headline writers

<mutter> <mutter>

The Trump Whitehouse.The gift that just keeps giving.

2. TechHeadToo

It's a passing phase

I'm just a simple soul.

The USA has Facebook and twitogram and access to everything anyone who uses anti social media places on line. Trump has seen and benefited from the mass misuse of such things. If China makes all the kit, and the CIA and its cronies can't make them bend over to install acces to all the traffic. His world domination plan could be threatened. China did have Zoom, and that came close, of course. Our very own dear Boris'nDom running cabinet meeting through chinese servers, and continuing to promote the channel... Not just James Bond any more.

Can any of us be sure that chinese kit doesn't have the ability to provide some access? If Trump had brains enough to think it up, he'd have insisted on a similar wheeze for US makers to install. A golden packet that trips in? How would testing pick that up? New firmware download in 3 or 5 years or 'when required'

There is SO much about the DARPA created internet which is a security risk anyway - DDOS and all its friends... and don't get me started on Mr Gates's non-operating system.

On the bright side though, When we and the chinese have eaten all the animals, burned off all the trees, and died out from the Chinese invented plague that led them to briefly be 'top nation' we will all get a good laugh of all this.

1. fajensen
      Flame

Re: It's a passing phase

Can any of us be sure that chinese kit doesn't have the ability to provide some access?

Nope. We can, however, be pretty sure that it doesn't provide the seamless NSA-access-experience that all of the not-sanctioned western kit does. If it did, those US/UK TLA's wouldn't become so uppity about us "free people" deploying it.

The thing is, since China cannot (at least not for a long while yet) put me on no-flight lists, "Authorization to Action lists" and freeze all of my meagre assets, I just personally feel more secure with us using the Chinese kit. Whether it being Instrumented or Not.

3. big_D Silver badge

Facts...

repeating the US government’s position that Huawei represents a national security threat.

I hope he brought some facts along, this time. Merkel is a scientist, so you need to show her your proofs, not just wild theories...

1. GrumpenKraut
      Happy

Re: Facts...

Fact is that the US did listen into communications of the German government. Therefore the US demands are quite amusing from the German point of view. Everybody is just waiting for the US to have a functional government after the election.

1. big_D Silver badge

Genau!

2. fajensen
        Flame

Everybody is just waiting for the US to have a functional government after the election.

We should be careful what we wish for, in this case: A more effective, better-looking Evil!?

In My Very Jaded Opinion, "The Problem" that "western leaders" seems to have with Donald Trump is that Trump and his mobbed-up family of cronies, are too uncultivated, straight-up "standover men", for "everybody" to earnestly "sell" whatever new obscenities America comes up with to their supposedly discerning Western electorates!

They *liked* Obama for being such a smoooth, good-looking, polite, mass-murderer, torturer and war-monger! Gave him the Nobel Piece Price too! Never minded that he bugged everyone and took a huge dump all over Nürenberg!!

In a perverted way, I do like the earnesty of the Trump Regime and I like to see that "our leaders" can at least still be embarassed enough to not do something terrible when a terrible person demands it. Maybe a habit can be deloped of not doing it regardless of who is asking?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Facts... on RATs

They *liked* Obama for being such a smoooth, good-looking, polite, mass-murderer, torturer and war-monger! Gave him the Nobel Piece Price too! Never minded that he bugged everyone and took a huge dump all over Nürenberg!! .... fajensen

And by many accounts, is Obama still into bullshitting most every day in support of all that he was responsible and escaped accountability for during his time in the media spotlight on centre stage.

A Remote Access Trojan is a Remote Access Trojan is a Remote Access Trojan no matter how it is coloured and dressed.

Won't get fooled again ........ :-)

4. clyde666

World politics

Bow down to your Imperial Masters

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

....and, of course, no mention of Cisco or Jupiter backdoors....

...sponsored by....shock, horror...THE AMERICANS!

Oh....sorry.....AMERICAN backdoors are good......anyone else's are a threat to the human race!!!!

6. Tempest
    FAIL

Could It Be That The NSA . . .

hasn't figured out how to hack HuaWei equipment.

The USA is a failing nation and soon the Chinese wil be running the show anyway.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Now, who wants his home phone number?

Just for the giggles of hearing

"Hello, Krach house. Who's speaking?"

And you have to wonder if he's the heard of an extended family

The Keith Krach clan, so to speak.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like