back to article Seven 'no log' VPN providers accused of leaking – yup, you guessed it – 1.2TB of user logs onto the internet

A string of "zero logging" VPN providers have some explaining to do after more than a terabyte of user logs were found on their servers unprotected and facing the public internet. This data, we are told, included in at least some cases clear-text passwords, personal information, and lists of websites visited, all for anyone to …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re. where should I go for a provider? I know! Hong Kong!

I would guess that most customers didn't even notice their "secure" vpn is HK based, and if they did, they thought "oh, how cool is that!" 1st case scenario is "normal, average behaviour", 2nd is "due diligence".

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why, why, why

Would anyone ever consider a VPN as a security measure?

It's a tool- and a great one- to get around region-locking and censorship. But you're just connecting through someone elses' computer (where the definition also includes network equipment smart enough to be a VPN endpoint). There's a huge amount of trust required there.

What do these companies do to convince their customers that they're trustworthy?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Why, why, why

Precisely. For the most part it comes down to "I don't trust <big name ISP> so I'll use <VPN provider whom I know nothing about> with my information instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about vpn'ing to another companies vpn, over a vpn to a different companies vpn etc.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I must admit, sometimes, for the sheer hell of it, I use Opera's VPN on my phone passed through the free allowance of speedtest.net's vpn just to add a bit of obfuscation.

I'm sure it doesn't achieve anything really, but I do like to muddy my tracks. ( I also make random Google searches on my phone when I have a spare moment while stuff is happening. Think of a word, type it in to Google search).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I also make random Google searches on my phone

... which is all the more ammunition for the six-shooter of our good friend, Cardinal Richelieu :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Merriam-Webster

Definition of fraud:

1a : deceit, trickery specifically :

intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

How is this not fraud?

Will the owner(s) of these Virtual(ly) Public Networks be brought up on criminal fraud charges?

1. Richard Jones 1
      FAIL

Re: Merriam-Webster

You may have to get round their protector first and then outlive their thug masters' 'protectors'.

3. randon8154

Do you guys keep any logs ?

The nordvpn provider look like a honest one if you compare with this one : they deliberately log everything from their customer, even data with no use for debug / technical monitoring.

I can't see anything else than shady reason, if it is obvious that communication privacy, activity free of any log, anonymat... are purely commercial statement, the goal of this provider is far beyond making a juicy business. Another obvious red flag for this provider : VPN client closed source.

A efficient way to prove that the no log / ultimate privacy is a lie : Mass TCP port scan over a large netrange. If they don't log, monitor or trace who is doing what, you shouldn't be banned.

Torproject is one of the only service who can legitimately claim what all those brainwashing vpn provider said

As using a vpn rely on a blind trust of a third party, I would go for Mullvad

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Just curious about the covert and clandestine nature of the intellectually challenged ..

..... and easily fully compromised

Do you think El Reg is safe and secure and free from outside spooky interest and remote and ideally controlling interference?

Or is the opposite much more likely, given the common subject matters revealed in opinion pieces and information and intelligence reports and further discussed and expanded upon by commenting fans, both unusually known and secretive alike ..... the identifyingly handled and Anonymously Cowardly.

:-) Ever had a tap on the shoulder, El Reg, followed by an offer to not refuse.?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just curious about the covert and clandestine nature of the intellectually challenged ..

@amanfromMars 1

Quote: "...Do you think El Reg is safe and secure ..."

Do you think ANY internet service is safe and secure?

Well...........no I don't. But that's not the right question. Surely it's a question of RELATIVE security.

So......if you have a gmail (or FB, or WhatsApp, or LinkedIn or BT, or Vodaphone......) account in your ACTUAL NAME..........................then you've got a target right there on your back.

Anyone with an account/street address/credit card for their internet consumption.... is wide open for bad guys and/or spooks,

So........as an AC on El Reg.....if my anonymity is prejudiced, feel free to get in touch.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Just curious about the covert and clandestine nature of the intellectually challenged ..

Do you think ANY internet service is safe and secure? ... Anonymous Coward

Since you ask, AC, and it is surely good for all to know about such as may be an entirely common place thing today too, I have no delusions about the possible complete lack of safety afforded to anyone who or anything which would think they are secure, relative or otherwise, and using remote virtual communications for practically surreal direct contact.

However, what is a constant source of wonder with ever greater wider and deepening divides providing private and pirate succour and customised safe harbour sanctuary in any number of visited ports, is the abject lack of super-talented intelligence use of the facility/utility/ability, and which one is well advised to constantly be on the look-out for vast and radical improvement in/on.

And that exciting change can, at it simplest and most worthy of forms, be manifested in a cogent and direct response to earlier supplied observation for embracing comment or ignorant denial and revealing silence, with the one supplying further remarkably profitable aid whilst the other renders extraordinary deficits creating crippling debts and overwhelming hardships.

And there's no point in being too anonymous and ridiculous to the point of a self-destructive personal corporate obsession about maintaining one's absolute safety and security, AC, if you have something exciting to tell which one can easily sell for an absolute fortune ........ although there will be those and that which will tell you that is a fundamental human weakness to be ruthlessly exploited and lavishly employed rather than an almighty complicate and empowering strength to be fielded and wielded

5. gnasher729 Silver badge

I was told there are two kinds of VPN providers: Those that logged and told you, and those that logged and lied about it.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Headmaster

I guess it's all on how you word your response?

Advertised VPNs?

Are you serious? Naw, no, we don't share no data, no way, no how.

Months later, Ah, well um, I guess our marketing department promised something, something... shared something, contractually bound... it is all quite legal, we have it on paper!

7 thumbs down

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

when is logging not logging

in a world when politicians don't lie, but merely present alternative facts?

7. Sparkus Bronze badge

Cab you say "CCP Honeypot"? knew you could.........

1. TechHeadToo

You can say it.

But now you are on a list... somewhere ...

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Cab

Well I cab* say it, but I'm not so sure you cab*.

* For anyone hearing a "wooooosh" sound... "can"

8. TeeCee Gold badge

...It appears seven Hong-Kong-based VPN providers,,,all share a common entity, which provides a white-labelled VPN service.

Let me guess: The People's Liberation ArmyHappy Dragon VPN Services.

9. JCitizen Bronze badge
    Go

Want an almost sure method?

Not sure if he uses VPN, because much of the lines of communication are cut up and rather random; but if you really want to communicate in a way that even the heavy deep state hitters find it hard to intercept you; do it the way the Dalai Lama does it. I'll just leave it at that - just think about it and you will figure it out. The PRC doesn't need to know. He is always two steps ahead of them, all the way!

10. sarahgill

I would say all free VPNs keep logs there is not doubt about that. I have used tons of free and paid VPNs and trust me when I say this. ExpressVPN, PIA, Ivacy VPN, Surfshark all of these are truly no log VPNs and are members of the VPN trust innitiative.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real list of No Log VPNs

Been using Ivacy VPN for 3 years now and was using Express and Pure before that. All of these are safe to say No Log VPNs

12. darekgough

PureVPN has passed the KPMG Always-on audit which is the bold step towards the user-centricity, transparency the VPN operations and more. KPMG is one the top leading audit firm of US.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021