back to article DXC Technology exec: What should our brand be known for?

DXC Technology exec veep and GM of the Build division Ed Ho says the organisation has yet to "define its brand" more than two years after the new corporate entity lurched into being. Ho, who runs the strategic front-end unit of DXC – which provides professional, advisory and consulting services – was addressing his staff at a …

Page:

1. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

The Digital (D) Transformation (X) for the Client (C) ?!?

That 'D' stands for Damned or Doomed

1. smudge
    Coat

DXC Chicken - because being so bad is no little feat.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lost - Season3

After having just left a contract at DXC, I found the company and its contracting partner to be pathetically incompetent. They are most definately lost.

It took 5 months to onboard me, as a temp contractor.

It took 8 weeks to pay me.

Their terms for contractors are 5 weeks in arears (who ever heard of this for contractors? I have always been paid weekly, at the most a fortnight delay).

The lifers (employed staff) are dispirited, underpaid and devmotivated, they are all hoping to be made redundent.

They take 8 weeks to renew or extends a contract, I have seen people leave site and have their accounts locked because the renewal is still with 'head office'

They strip down the on site staff delivering the service to a bare minimum which results in poor service and stress for the workforce.

Essentially they act like Michael Douglas in Wall Street, Win the deal, strip the assets, sack the employees, walk away with profit for exec's. Slash and burn methodology.

I will not take a contract with DXC ever again.

1. neilo

Re: Lost - Season3

Contractor terms ar in arrears 5 weeks? You got of lightly; here in the US our contractors were paid 90 days in arrears from the invoice due date. So when a contractor / external partner was developing a minor piece of code - say, the entire credit card processing part - and their invoices were not paid at 30 days, then they, to the great delight of our customers, simply stopped working.

In once case, this caused the sudden postponement of a go-live.

Now, we all welcomed the extra time to complete the project to the customer's satisfaction, so there was a silver lining there. But it was poorly handled; DXC didn't tell our section that this was the policy; it certainly didn't tell the external partners. The contractors may have known; not sure.

2. GrumpenKraut
      Devil

> ... devmotivated ...

Is this a DevOps thing?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Is this a DevOps thing?

Looks like DXC is motivating the devs right out the door.

Which makes sense, I suppose. DevOps is a portmanteau of "development" and "operations", and excision is one of the most common types of operation. "We were able to remove 5000 developers with good margins and no complications."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What planet is Ho living on?

DXC have perfectly reasonable "brands" already:

BRAND new graduates to replace the thousands of experienced staff kicked out to feed shareholders and executive bonuses.

BRAND new data centers to replace those sold off under the corporate strategy of real-estate downsizing.

BRAND new second house for Mikey.

BRAND new exit contracts as failing services force customers to drop DXC at the earliest chance.

BRAND new Chief Executives because Mikey has fired all the others for questioning his master plan.

4. adam payne

"Not only do we have work to do but we also need to define our brand. Namely, what do we want to be recognised for, and what are our differentiating capabilities. For example, do we want to be known for price, or for quality or having superior functional solutions. We've got to be able to establish that."

Well if you don't know then doomed is the only word that is going to define your business.

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Ummm...

As they still retain some part of the HP DNA, they could simply re-imagine, re-brand or rehash some of the old HP marketing materials to be "at DXC, we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied."

6. trevorde Silver badge

New taglines

DXC - at least we're not IBM!

DXC - mostly better than Capita!

7. Mr Dogshit

Ho Ho Ho!

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Overwhelming Quality Counts and Has Always Provided Leads and Leaderships?

I'd go for having quality superior functional solutions as a practical means to virtual ends.

And it may be the case that such a facility would prove itself almighty empowering. Quite whether of an Autonomous Disposition or Not, is Oft to Appear in a Quandary for Quarry IT is Mining and Processing.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm...DXC

Crapita without the bells and whistles?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

DXC - now to be pronounced Dixie Chicks

We're pleased to announce that DXC has entered into a marketing tie-up with well-known country band, The Dixie Chicks. To all our clients, I Can Love You Better if you welcome us with Loving Arms. We'll analyse your IT estate and give you a report saying There's Your Trouble. Then we'll take over the running of your IT so that Tonight the Heartache's on Me.

Remember, the grass ain't greener, it's bluer™

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesnt eXecute Competently

That is all

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC - YOUR MESS FOR LESS

or...

DXC - YOUR MESS FOR MORE

or

DXC - YOUR MESS FOR MORE MESS

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC Logo

DXC Technologies - we spent so much on our logo we have forgotten what we actually do.

Customers see a big X and think they have had divine inspiration and avoid X (which in most cultures means WRONG or INCORRECT).

D x C = Do Not Contact

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New leadership

IBM was going through a massive crisis in the 90's and being broken up. Louis V Gerstner came in and reversed the trend, preferring to adopt an approach that ita strength lay in the size and scale of the business. It turned IBM around. DXC is going through such a period too; where the leadership has focused so much on cost cutting that it's not realised it's breaking down and losing its standing in the market. DXC needs a new leader to stop this rot before DXC loses the scale it needs to compete. IBM has nearly 340,000 employees. DXC started with 170,000 (50% of IBM) but is on target to have 100,000 soon (30%) IBM. I've experienced the paralysis inside the business where even a few hundred dollars needs to be signed off by Mike Lawrie or his deputy. As an ex employee, I follow the DXC story with the kind of horrid fascination you get when watching a half squashed beetle writhing and wondering when it might die. All of us who have left expect it to collapse in a heap very soon and only wish for its survival for the sake of the livelihoods of our friends and ex colleagues still there. The best thing that could happen? IBM buy the business: get the lot for $20 a share and they'd be buying the leanest IT machine ever created.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New leadership

I recall when we took over (or were we taken over by) EDS, we had 302,000 employees, thats a good effort where they have manged to get rid of 2/3'rds of the workforce in a relatively short 10 years. 200,000 jobs just vapourised in the hope of generating bonuses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: New leadership

I saw that from the opposite side of the fence.. The number 2 IT services company in the world at the time.. sold out by Ron Rottenmeyer for personal gains to the evil HP. And the fat bastage who ran it.

Combining hp and eds .. at one point over 320k employees.. before HP inserted their 'price controls'.. and stellar leadership.. couldn't order office supplies.. nix.. got a contract that requires you print reports? you have to buy your paper through HP with HP margin on it internally.. then try to add a few points so your account can actually not go all loss..

Oh and then there's that wonderful new "HP Way".. it's called screw the employees so Mark Hurd can wine and dine female contractors.. fly around the world at the corporations expense and keep sucking on the Oracle One's organ.

And here comes Leo the loser.. another spectacular flop.. the board hated him.. why did they hire him?

one of his first comments? "these employees are losers"

And I won't even begin to start on the Meg.. who makes that other famous Meg on the animated show look like the new messiah intellectually.

So as someone who has seen the same folks abused for years.. and i still have ex colleagues who work at all these derivative companies.. it's easy..

HP>EDS for cash and contracts.. thinking they could just cut cut cut and the clients wouldn't notice.

HPES>HP because HP leaders had zero farcking clue how to run a services business and finally admitted it.

DXC>HPES easy.. more money for current execs and the doughboy was foolish enough to think he suckered them.. umm.. Mike buddy.. you're not that smart. and your lawyers are even more stupid.

DXC>Perspecta cuz.. hey .. didn't we use to have a govt oriented division??? oh yeah CSRA.. but we signed a no compete.. BUT OUR NEW COMPANY DIDNT!!!!!

pure unmolested greed and stupidity at the top of all the companies..

15. elvisimprsntr

DXC, a name synonymous with a part of the male anotomy. Already says it all.

16. Claverhouse Silver badge

Perhaps their problem is that they hold 'Town Hall Meetings'.

1. Denarius

Town Hall meetings

reminded me more of sleep deprivation studies... while being lectured on how staff should die in trenches so bosses looked good. What's wrong with 80 hour weeks, it is interesting and shows commitment. Sad the PHB class has no concept of individual life.

17. Denarius
    WTF?

seriously ? He wants libel bait ?

Just say no

18. Denarius

suggestion from current acronym

DX: long range radio reception activity.

C: To observe

So a company that observes something a long long way away. No suggestion of anything else

19. Chbingham

Therein is the problem. Let’s focus on how much we can extract from the Wallet, rather than what DXC can constructively do to add value to your company

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC

DXC is suffering with a form of corporate anorexia. With this in mind i think it needs sympathy and patience. Unfortunately the prognosis is not great. But i take great exception at the ridicule that DXC is facing on this site.

Normally a person suffering anorexia would not be subjected to this kind of bullying.

Please show some empathy.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is DXC appalling, let me count the ways ...

What should DXC be known for?

- their ability to delay any project by a factor of years

- their ability to buy a product, sack everyone who knows anything about that product, and then continue to charge exorbitant maintenance fees for technical support by people who know nothing about the product they are supporting

- over-promising and under-delivering

- incompetetnce

- their ability to project manage anything to death

- did I mention incompetence?

The sooner DXC goes belly up the better.

22. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

WHy am I reminded of..

Irate customer: "Do you know who I am?"

Waiter: "Sorry, mate, can't help you. Try looking in your wallet, your name should be on your credit cards."

23. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Trollface

Our reputation is our staff

Just ask any of them.

24. well meaning but ultimately self defeating

The world's greatest content management solution

DXC should surely be known as the only company in the world with a direct feed from its internal staff communication system to El Reg, the real front page of the Internet

25. fredesmite

DXC will end up being

Another talentless IT cesspool of contractors like Wipro

26. Cronos

Expensive, bad service and disappearing personnel

I worked for them for 2 years in a senior, sub-exec role and watched people leaving, being fired and just giving up, left right and center.

I do not know why customers would remain when personnel are constantly changing and the service is really bad

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like