back to article Techies! Britain's defence secretary wants you – for cyber-sniping at Russia

Defence secretary Gavin Williamson has called for "people with amazing cyber and IT skills" to join the Armed Forces, as Britain's National Security Adviser confirmed to Parliament today that Russia is the UK's main "strategic threat". In an interview for the Politics Home website, Williamson said: "In this age where there's …

Page:

1. Alistair Dabbs

77th Brigade struggling to recruit

"If you are thinking about booking a Briefing & Assessment day as part of an aspiration to join the Brigade, we are sorry to say that the Brigade is not in a position to assess new civilian candidates until early 2019. This is due to the high volume of applications received and which are currently already being processed."

They don't sound like they're stuggling to recruit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 77th Brigade struggling to recruit - They don't sound like they're stuggling to recruit.

Let's distinguish here.

There's probably practically no budget for stuff like training and equipment, so from that point of view this is the usual thing where a politician says something is going to happen but six months later it turns out that the pre-pre-pre-meeting meeting is still on indefinite hold for lack of a venue, because that saves money. So in a literal sense they are not struggling to recruit.

But when they start to work through the applications list and need to find some people who would actually be good at the job - then they'll be struggling.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Russia UK main strategic threat?

Not at all, this is the oldest trick in the book, to distract from crimes at home invent some imaginary enemy abroad that we need protecting from. Would you please leave such reporting as the above to Faux News and the BBC, who hasn't been a real news organization since it got defanged in the aftermath of the dodgy dossier scandal. The scandal that legitimized the US invasion of Iraq. That dossier being cooked up the UK under instruction of its US masters.

3. Frenchie Lad

Photo

Can any reader comment on why the angle of the jet is so out of sync with the the WWII plane? Would it be because of minimum speed before stalling for the jet or just some fancy pose?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Photo

Would it be because of minimum speed before stalling for the jet

The Hurricane is perfectly capable of flying way above the Tornado stall speed.

I suspect it is neither and more of a case "two pictures we could photoshop onto each other".

4. Stephen Wilkinson

To be honest apart from the being killed bit which always put me off the armed forces - far less I would hope in this role - being a metalhead and having had long hair since I was 16, I'm damned if I'd join something that would want me to cut my hair.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

zero-hour spying

oh, that warm feeling when,12 years down the line (of duty) you get a letter from HMRC...

6. taxman
    Holmes

Joint Cyber Reserve

Had a thought about this way in, extra pay, chance to mess a bit with some more interesting pentest/hack/cracking stuff...then realised that perhaps the joint bit wasn't what I thought it could be when I read about the sailor being busted on HMS Queen Liz for peddling.

Sherlocks bong is the nearest thing

7. Chairman of the Bored Silver badge

Ahhhh... Psyops!

In US service we have the LBU-30 leaflet dispensing canister bomb. Those of us on the ground called it the "bullshit bomb". I think your honorable minister must have gotten hit by a BS bomb, because that would explain a lot.

Favorite psyop fail:

A translation problem is mentioned in Noel Barber’s The War of the Running Dogs – The Malayan Emergency 1948-1960, Weybright and Talley, NY, 1971. The author tells of a guerrilla ambush that caused the British commander to immediately fly to the nearest village where he harangued the collected inhabitants:

“You’re a bunch of bastards,” shouted Templer; and Rice, who spoke Chinese, listened carefully as the translator announced without emotion: “His Excellency informs you that he knows that none of your mothers and fathers were married when you were born.”

Templer waited, then, pointing a finger at the astonished villagers to show them who was the “Tuan,” added “You may be bastards, but you’ll find out that I can be a bigger one.” Missing the point of the threat completely, the translator said politely, “His Excellency does admit, however, that his father was also not married to his mother.”

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Nitty Gritty .... to be Forewarned is to be Forearmed

The Information and Intelligence Space is become much contested which is not the same as congested. Indeed, the lack of any freely available and compounding evidence in the mainstream and the heavy hand of censorship and D Notice play in other alternative leading media organs in novel and ultra-effective fields of play .... and here is President Trump thinking to have Uncle Sam the GoTo for a Primary Space Force Source in a Prime Controlling Field ... https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-02/space-force-trump-teases-sixth-branch-us-military-again .... would have one conclude the present situation, an Information and Intelligence Space which is not secured, is capable of globally terrorising nations, nation state actors and disenfranchised non-state actors alike.

And such actions are always invariably counterproductive and self-defeating and most indicative of that against which there is no viable defence or available attacking vector.

And it is not a theatre of successful engagement for the less than well enough enabled and endowed. You have been warned. Take care.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those of us who wore the green suit and were generally treated like shit by the military have since had our own offspring, and we have told them that they are not to consider wearing the green suit under any circumstances, or at least until politicians are sending their sons and daughters into the many wars of choice wearing the green suit.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021